A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Valentine's Day Elephant (Image heavy)NOW WITH TUTORIAL  (Read 8083 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , crochet_pattern , pattern , heart , valentines_day , elephant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annieplayground
« on: February 04, 2011 10:22:00 AM »

So after watching the Valentine's Day Martha Stewart yesterday, inspiration hit me and I sat up last night trying to design a valentine's day elephant. On her show, she was flipping through vintage children's craft books and they showed a picture of a elephant made from a heart and I thought that was such a cute idea.  So this is what I came up with, I do have to say he is quite cute lol

I will be posting the tutorial  this evening, once I get more than 2 seconds to sit down and type it out  Smiley

Pink Heart Elephant Tutorial (Please keep in mind I'm not the greatest pattern writter, so if there are any questions or issues just send me a shout and I will try to clarify)

Heart Shape
Chain 2, 6 sc in the 2nd chain from hook, join (some call this the magic loop method I think)
Round 1: 2 c in ea st around, do not join - Place stitch marker to mark the first stitch of each round. (This gives the heart a more cleaner look) 12sc
Round 2: 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next, repeat around- 18 sc
Round 3: Sc in ea st around -18sc
Round 4: Sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next, repeat around-24sc
Round 5: Sc in ea st around-24sc
Round 6: Sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in next, sc, 2 sc,  sc in last 5 st- 28sc
Round 7: Sc in next st, 2sc in next, sc, 2 sc, sc in next 11 st, 2c, sc, 2sc, sc in last 10 st.- 32st
Round 8-11: Sc in ea st around- 32st Fasten Off

Divide for top of hear:
Flatten pieceand count 8 stitches from right center corner point (Each point consists of 16 st, so if you are more comfortable with finding the center back and dividing that way by all means what ever works for you.Just note that each heart top is 16 st around)

Sc in next 16 st, sl st at the top of 1st st of this round.
Next Round:sc in first 2 st, dec, repeat around-join
Next Round:sc in first st, dec, repeat around-join
Fasten Off, leaving a tail of yarn to draw through all stitches and pull tight to close up openning. Weave in end to secure.

After you have completed the first point, at this time I started to stuff my heart and placed the eyes. I placed 12mm safety eyes at 3rd row from point and about 3 stitches apart.  I would suggest trying diffrent places and seeing what works for you.

Repeat the same for the other point, before stitching up point add alittle more stuffing to fill that point.

Ear's- Make 2
Chain 4,
Row 1:sc,2sc,2c,sc, turn
Row 2: Sc across, turn
Row 3: Sc, hdc,2dc,2dc,hdc,sc-DO NOT TURN
working across end of rows, sc in ea st, sl st in ea st across beginning chain 4, sc in ea st of end of rows. Fasten off

I attached each ear to the side of the heart at 2nd to the last row of the point. I used that row as a starting point to attach the tip of the ear and sewed down.

Feet- make 4

Chain 2, work 5 sc in 2nd chain from hook-join
Round 1-4- SC in ea st around- 5 fasten off

For feet placement, I just placed one foot at each corner of the starting round.

Trunk:
Ch 2, 4 sc in 2nd chain from hook
Round 1-7-SC in ea st around, fasten off

The best way to place the trunk is about 1 or 2 rows below the eyes right in the middle.

I hope you enjoy the pattern, again if anything does'nt make sense or you have any questions please let me know so I can make the corrections or clarify better.  Can't wait to see how other's turn out  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014 11:58:36 AM by pinkleo - Reason: adding tutorial to 1st post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annie's Playground "Where Craftiness Comes To Play"
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.annieplayground.etsy.com')
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011 10:37:53 AM »

This adorable little guy will make someone very happy on Valentines Day.... I know he (she?) made me smile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Cadaverxstitch

Need a custom cross stitch pattern done?  PM me!
SamanthaM
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011 10:40:10 AM »

That is so cute, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Otherside27~
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011 12:09:33 PM »

wow that's so cute a tutorial would be awesome! Do you think you could make a piggy heart? a whole zoo of heart animals!!  Cheesy
sadly I don't think I could learn to crochet in 10days.  Cry but so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tesseltjuhh
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011 12:39:18 PM »

Really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011 01:48:39 PM »

A pink elephant! And heart shaped,too!
Wonderful!

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.sunrey.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011 11:41:56 PM »

Aww that is so adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annieplayground
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011 04:37:12 AM »

Pink Heart Elephant Tutorial (Please keep in mind I'm not the greatest pattern writter, so if there are any questions or issues just send me a shout and I will try to clarify)

Heart Shape
Chain 2, 6 sc in the 2nd chain from hook, join (some call this the magic loop method I think)
Round 1: 2 c in ea st around, do not join - Place stitch marker to mark the first stitch of each round. (This gives the heart a more cleaner look) 12sc
Round 2: 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next, repeat around- 18 sc
Round 3: Sc in ea st around -18sc
Round 4: Sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next, repeat around-24sc
Round 5: Sc in ea st around-24sc
Round 6: Sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in next, sc, 2 sc,  sc in last 5 st- 28sc
Round 7: Sc in next st, 2sc in next, sc, 2 sc, sc in next 11 st, 2c, sc, 2sc, sc in last 10 st.- 32st
Round 8-11: Sc in ea st around- 32st Fasten Off

Divide for top of hear:
Flatten pieceand count 8 stitches from right center corner point (Each point consists of 16 st, so if you are more comfortable with finding the center back and dividing that way by all means what ever works for you.Just note that each heart top is 16 st around)

Sc in next 16 st, sl st at the top of 1st st of this round.
Next Round:sc in first 2 st, dec, repeat around-join
Next Round:sc in first st, dec, repeat around-join
Fasten Off, leaving a tail of yarn to draw through all stitches and pull tight to close up openning. Weave in end to secure.

After you have completed the first point, at this time I started to stuff my heart and placed the eyes. I placed 12mm safety eyes at 3rd row from point and about 3 stitches apart.  I would suggest trying diffrent places and seeing what works for you.

Repeat the same for the other point, before stitching up point add alittle more stuffing to fill that point.

Ear's- Make 2
Chain 4,
Row 1:sc,2sc,2c,sc, turn
Row 2: Sc across, turn
Row 3: Sc, hdc,2dc,2dc,hdc,sc-DO NOT TURN
working across end of rows, sc in ea st, sl st in ea st across beginning chain 4, sc in ea st of end of rows. Fasten off

I attached each ear to the side of the heart at 2nd to the last row of the point. I used that row as a starting point to attach the tip of the ear and sewed down.

Feet- make 4

Chain 2, work 5 sc in 2nd chain from hook-join
Round 1-4- SC in ea st around- 5 fasten off

For feet placement, I just placed one foot at each corner of the starting round.

Trunk:
Ch 2, 4 sc in 2nd chain from hook
Round 1-7-SC in ea st around, fasten off

The best way to place the trunk is about 1 or 2 rows below the eyes right in the middle.

I hope you enjoy the pattern, again if anything does'nt make sense or you have any questions please let me know so I can make the corrections or clarify better.  Can't wait to see how other's turn out  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annie's Playground "Where Craftiness Comes To Play"
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.annieplayground.etsy.com')
littleone
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011 10:05:16 PM »

Thank you so much for the TuT, I will try it out!! Kiss Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jerilynfoley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Love the day!

Cherish those you love. Gone is a long time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011 07:29:30 PM »

That really is very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop: stores.ebay.com/kenandbarbiesthriftshop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Express Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
California Hamburger Recipe
Inside Out Cheeseburger Recipe
Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon Recipe
Chili Dogs with Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...