A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions Welcome ~ Photo Engorged! 11 new pieces!!  (Read 783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2011 02:35:20 PM »

Hello all!
My husband is in the AF, and we moved about 3 months ago, and I really wanted to change the look of our decor... I wanted something special, something I could call my own, something different than what we have had for so long.  I had planned on hitting up the local CL, Goodwill, and Thrift stores.  As I really wanted all my stuff to be refinished unwanted/loved furniture. Not to mention with out spending a boat load of money.

One thing that I knew, but has recently come back to memory, is that Military families move a lot, and they often times down size their furniture before everything is packed up.  About a week after I got here (about 3 weeks before my stuff got here :\ ) I noticed that my neighbors had set out some kitchen chairs on the curb, and I wanted them.  Not only because they were awesome, but bcs I was sitting on the floor! lol

I was just so excited about my awesome score I wanted to share with everyone here.  I can't wait to share my after pictures to go with these before.

Wonderful curb side find.

Wonderful red nail polish on the seat.

This is my favorite one... I need to replace the entire seat though, because the underside is moldy.

This I do believe will end up being a small table, to maybe display a plant or something.  It is only about 3ft tall.

This table is a CL find... Not sure what I plan to do to it yet though.

This little side table is also a wonderful CL find. 

My goodwill finds...
$3 woot!

Sorry about the crappy lighting... as far as color goes, think of a lemon... as a chair!

Oh, and this one I totally got free when our old neighbors were moving! I just love when people move, and I get there cool stuff!

I am super excited to get busy, and I have plenty of work to keep me busy for a little while!  I plan on a color pallet of Red, Turquoise, and Yellow.  Any suggestions, or technique ideas are more than welcome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
Reds Princess

Lace Heart Productions

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011 09:04:48 AM »

From oe military wife in MOD housing to another...your finds are lush! my husband would go mental at me if i came back with more 'projects'

Im a very vintage/shabby chic person, so my view for the non padded chairs would be to strip them down, soften the edges, wash of excess dust and spray with my new best friend...crackle effect spray paint (comes for wood, metals etc), maybe an off white colour or cream to give it that old vintage look! Id then make matching padded tie on pillows in a patchwork theme or floraly (nothing too outrageous)

I have had an interesting idea since you said you would have to replace the actual seat part on the other chair but i have no idea how i would go about constructing it... a cork (as in corks from wine bottles) mosaque mounted on some form of plywood etc (obviously so the chair doesnt collapse when sat on! Thats just my silly imagination though.

Are you wanting all the chairs to match? I LOVE your favourite one, again i would maybe paint that a solid cream or off white and then highlight the patern with a gold paint using a dabbing technique.

Your table is also gorgeous! very impressed with your finds...however what does CL stand for? (blonde moment!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011 12:05:49 PM »

CL= http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

I like the crackle idea, the white kitchen chair has already been done that way, and I thought about cleaning it up, and doing it again, but in a different color.  I do want all the chairs to be different colors, I have always wanted mis-matched chairs at the table, don't ask why... I'm not too sure.  But cute doesn't need a reason does it!  I like the idea of gold accent though.  I think the only reason he did not flip a lid from all my new finds is bcs I do not plan on getting a job out here, and he knows I need something to keep busy. But I think I have impressed him with crafts in the past, so he is curious to see how everything comes out. In his mind my crafting projects are enough to fill my time, and keep my mind off of getting a bird like I have been talking about! I'll let him think that for now!  Wink  But since he is still in Tech, and still has a year left... I will at least wait for his FDS to push it on him.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
Reds Princess

Lace Heart Productions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011 05:17:39 AM »

CL= http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

I like the crackle idea, the white kitchen chair has already been done that way, and I thought about cleaning it up, and doing it again, but in a different color.  I do want all the chairs to be different colors, I have always wanted mis-matched chairs at the table, don't ask why... I'm not too sure.  But cute doesn't need a reason does it!  I like the idea of gold accent though.  I think the only reason he did not flip a lid from all my new finds is bcs I do not plan on getting a job out here, and he knows I need something to keep busy. But I think I have impressed him with crafts in the past, so he is curious to see how everything comes out. In his mind my crafting projects are enough to fill my time, and keep my mind off of getting a bird like I have been talking about! I'll let him think that for now!  Wink  But since he is still in Tech, and still has a year left... I will at least wait for his FDS to push it on him.  Grin

Different colours are good, not the mention cute and very chique. I would be very tempted to do rainbow coloured or bright vivid in that case! ohhh that looks good!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Candacerhae
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011 08:14:43 AM »

I love the idea for a seat made from wine corks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CutYourHeartOut
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011 05:40:56 PM »

Loooooove!  I am constantly hitting up goodwill looking for cool things to revive.

I never find anything cool curbside in my hood though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cut.Your.Heart.Out - handmade jewelry, accessories, home decor and art work

Moxie and Mischief - for kids with energy, spunk and spirit
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011 05:25:00 PM »

Your curbside finds are making me salivate Wink You are definatley saveing some cash by being creative. Do you live on base or off base? Military houseing on base can be pretty icky sometimes so paint and creativity can really help you settle in and feel good.
HH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Reds Princess

Lace Heart Productions

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011 03:03:17 AM »

I love the idea for a seat made from wine corks!

why thank you Smiley

needless to say i ahve bee collecting corks since then haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011 12:24:18 PM »

With mold on the bottom of the chair you could use bleach and then paint it with bathroom anti-mold paint.

tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crocheted Christmas Tree Design Tip
Crocheted Baby Cap Designs
Crocheted Baby Booty Variations
Catherine Wheel Stitching Tips
Overalls Are Back
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...