Last night, my mum and I decided we would try to make soda bread. She had already bought all of the ingredients the day before and yesterday we were trying our first soda bread.
For our first try, I think it went pretty well overall. My family think so anyway because there's only one end piece left now.
For those of you who might want to try this,
Soda Bread Recipe:
6 ounces of self raising flour
6 ounces of plain wholemeal flower
1/2 a tea spoon of bicarbonate of soda
1/2 a teaspoon of salt
1 pot of buttermilk (about 280ml)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the buttermilk into the well and stir with a fork.
5. Knead briefly to form it into a round ball.
6. Place on a floured baking tray.
7. Cut a cross on top.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Our oven is a fan oven so you may need to adjust the time or temperature accordingly.