A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: menu planner please?  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: February 02, 2011 05:23:53 PM »

Hello.
Its me.
Yeah. Me.
*caution to the next sentences*
In an effort to become plastic-free in all we do, I have discovered that a person cannot buy meat that is free of either plastic or styrofoam - shudder.  I have also discovered that there is not a butcher nearby who could give us meat without plastic.
*caution ended*
SO .... Major lifestyle decision; for the sake of everything.
I used to be a vegetarian (til I got pregnant with my 7year old and craved and caved) for around ten years.
Can someone reccommend like three breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks that are *both* vegetarian *and* plastic free? 
Even crackers come in plastic packets inside the box and wow, making home-made crackers is just beyond my time-limits.
Even cereal and oatmeal come in plastic; even from bulk. (flour and salt don't though - yay salt!)
omg, there's gotta be *something* out there that doesn't come from my own garden that hasn't been wrapped or packed in plastic that we can use as we transition?  Short of the fruit/veg themselves?  Isn't there?
please.
help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dainty_loveface
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011 03:12:35 PM »

For breakfasts, have you thought about making bagels or breads? You would have to get yeast, which can be bought in bulk. Spread with some homemade peanut butter and jam. You can change up your mix ins to keep it interesting. Also, as far as the bulk bins go... I'm not sure what you mean by they still have plastic? You can buy or make some reusable bulk bin bags out of cloth.

Lunches might be more difficult. Again you can make bread for sammies. I love avocado sandwiches. Salads are easy, just mix up greens and beans with some fruit on the side.

Again, if you can find a way to make bulk bins accessible to you then dinners will be a million times more easy. Beans can be your best friend. Beans and grains and vegetables. You can make your own flour tortillas easily for burritos or wraps. If you can get your hands on some wheat gluten then you can make seitan for added protein.

For snacks, bulk bins again will help so you can get some trail mix or make some fruit leather.

Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011 04:42:16 PM »

re: the bulk thing.
The bins in my bulk store are about 2.5 inches deep.  Lined with plastic.  I watched them refill the bins once.  The refill them from these teensy little gallon sized boxes .. and inside the bx, a plastic bag of little plastic packets.  Talk about an eye opener/heart breaker.  I was quite disillusioned by bulk.  Very.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dainty_loveface
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011 06:37:22 PM »

Ugh, that's really unfortunate. Some of McCanns brand oatmeal comes in a tin. Are you trying to avoid metal wastes as well? Maybe you can order online? Though I'm not sure the transportation "cost" would be worth it. Sorry I can't be of more help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011 06:42:44 PM »

Yikes.  I want to be supportive but I can't think of a thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011 10:44:41 AM »

Well going through my own cupboards, I found lipton noodles and rices, they both come in a paper package, and other pastas like mac and cheese and such are the same way.  Salsas and such in glass containers, and I know that some chip brands have compostable packaging.  Oatmeal, grits, malt-o-meal, lipton and other soup mixes in paper packaging, pancake mix, eggs.....  You might need to just go to the store and shop first then plan meals later with what you find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011 03:33:48 AM »

My local co-op (at a university, mind you) sells bulk you can scoop into your own container. I sounds so silly to be filling bulk bins from little packets!

Farmers markets might work out, but I don't know if that's an option for you.

As for actual products, a lot come in cardboard boxes in Australia, but I don't know where you are so that isn't very helpful.

Bread from actual bakers (take a calico bag). Spices and other things from importers/asian grocers which sell in bulk? We have importers who have HUGE amounts of stuff but I imagine it goes in plastic at some stage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fix Polish Stained Nails
Lip Plumper Product Review
A Cancer Survivor Gets the Makeover of Her Dreams
Study: Wearing Sunglasses Makes You More Attractive
How to Cleanse Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...