A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Places to hit in PITTSBURGH  (Read 1158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChrissyCrafts
« on: February 02, 2011 04:17:30 PM »

I'm starting to plan a trip to Pittsburgh,PA about the second weekend in April. Anyone have suggestions on where to go? (crafty and otherwise) I saw a 2 hour glass work shop at the Pitt Glass Center...has anyone went to it?  Huh

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011 04:24:12 PM by ChrissyCrafts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jorie
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011 07:45:19 PM »

I know that there are some cool, funky neighborhoods in the area near University of Pittsburg where you could probably find some stores selling handmade goods but I'm not sure about crafty places persay. I would also recommend taking a ride on the cog train. The views are wonderful. Don't bother with downtown, its not that touristy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChrissyCrafts
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011 04:39:14 PM »

Thanks for the input!  Cheesy Yeah we don't want to walk too far for nothing, it sounds lazy, but we only have a couple of days there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurabeccaboo
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011 12:47:45 PM »

To give you a few more specific ideas, make it a point to hit Lawrenceville (Butler street from 36th st to about 50th st is a nice walk with lots of unique shops along the way. Highlights: Sugar Boutique and WildCard) and the Strip District (Penn Ave & Smallman St from about 22nd st through 11th st). The Strip is great because it's a big street market on the weekends, though it's a lot of food and yinzer type stuff. There's a place called the Pittsburgh Public Market on Smallman Street that has rotating local food, craft and gift vendors. It's only open on weekends, but will give you a sense of what's available in the city. Neighborhoods like the Mexican War Streets (on the North Side) and Shadyside (Fifth Ave) have beautiful historic homes. AMAZING photographic opportunities in these areas.

I don't know if you're a big geocaching fan, but you can definitely find some neat spots with nice views of the city if you give that a shot.

During the day, the South Side (Carson Street) makes for good walking, shopping and people watching. It also has a lot of bars/busy nightlife but it's a complete pain on the weekends, IMHO. It's an experience though. Good late night food from Cambodican (Carson and 13th I think). Get the "cat on a stick" with a wheat pita.

Finally, I had no idea what the "Cog Train" was that the other poster mentioned, but I looked it up. We call it the incline, some folks say funicular, I've never heard any locals say cog train. It is one of the nicest views of the city, however.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imbettinonalice

Zydrate comes in a little glass vile...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011 07:49:26 PM »

I agree about the Strip and South Side.  Station Square can be a lot of fun, too.  If you are a foodie, you should definitely check out the restaurants like Primanti Bros. Smiley

If you are into art, you may like to check out the Andy Warhol museum.  Here's the link in case you want to check it out: http://www.warhol.org/default.aspx
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011 07:51:48 PM by imbettinonalice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ohmigoodness, Ohmigoodness!"- Man V. Food

"This is serious, Dean! The voice is telling me that I'm almost out of minutes!"- Castiel, 'Supernatural'
www.twloha.org
pbw
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011 07:31:30 PM »

Creative Reuse Pittsburgh in Point Breeze.  It's in Construction Junction.  Also, the Mattress Factory in the North Side.  If you do go up the Incline, do it at night when the city is all lit up. 

Enjoy your stay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Inside Out Pillow Case
How to Stitch A Duvet Cover
How to Create Cushion Covers
How to Create Bed Valance
How to Darken a Room Using Curtains
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...