A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are dress forms so... flat?  (Read 1359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Grilly
« on: February 02, 2011 11:10:33 AM »

I got a dress form for my birthday but I don't understand why the boobs are so flat! I can adjust it to measure the same as my bust, but the boobs don't look anything like mine! How does this work for tailoring clothes/making darts, etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011 11:27:59 AM »

Usually to get the best shape for YOU, you need to pad the form to be the right shape. Do you have an old bra you can sacrifice? Set the form so that the underbust measure is the same as your own, put the bra on it and stuff the cups with fabric scraps or batting.

Mine wears one of my crappy old bras, and I still have to pad the bum, but then I'd have to make a cover for it Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeeJayRose
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011 10:37:23 AM »

Dressforms have to accommodate many different sizes and shapes. It's much easier to make bigger than to make smaller. Thus....no shape. lol

Definitely pad your dressform if you would like to make the shape closer to yours. I haven't done that...but I should... I put things against the dressform to fit with the darts and whatever else...then I'll put it up against myself to see how the shape fits me.

But I'm thinking maybe I should take the time to pad it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011 02:17:27 PM »

LOL, CeeJayRose! Isn't that always the way of it Tongue There's so many more interesting things to do than pad our dressforms, hahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grilly
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011 03:11:16 PM »

Thank you! I do have a strapless bra I can get rid of, as it is super painful to wear. Perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrislea
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011 02:07:38 AM »

In addition to this topic, I've always wondered something!!  When you pad up a dressform, is there some kind of slip or sock you can buy to put over it that will cover all the ugly patting and make it look like one smooth form?  I've been holding off on buying a form because it would have to stay out in the open, and I want it to be cute.  ;_;
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011 12:30:51 PM »

Chrislea, not that I've ever seen. From my internet ramblings, people make their own covers. You can make a fitting shell that fits you exactly out of a sturdy woven fabric to put over your padded form, or a stretchy jersey one. I guess the jersey one would be more flexible if you gained or lost weight, because then you can add or subtract padding and the cover will smoosh it all in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honeythief
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011 12:01:08 AM »

I covered mine in a one-piece leotard type thing that is too hideous to wear. I got it for next to nothing in TKMaxx.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Jenny
Chrislea
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011 05:57:05 AM »

Oh, that's a brilliant idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klnelson11
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011 05:22:03 PM »

Fabulous Fit is a set of pads and covers that help you customize your dummy.  I've never tried it.  The leotard idea is pretty awesome though, and much cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make The Easiest Pie Crust
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
4 Halloween Cake Decorating Tricks
How to Make a Brown Sugar Topped Banana Cake
Mark Isreal: Serving Innovation
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...