A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: FEBRUARY GRANNY-A-DAY 02/01-02/28/2010  (Read 6853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2011 10:48:48 AM »

FEBRUARY GRANNY-A-DAY

This is basically a motivation crochetalong. If you want to work on a granny square, motif, one huge granny square blanket, this is a great way to set aside time everyday to get some serious work completed in an attainable amount of time.

People have come up with some really neat uses for grannys too! Different bags and blankets, shopping sack holder, slippers, scarves, a nifty pullover etc. I have made 7" grannys and after a month I have 30 squares that make a perfect size throw blanket.

If you are intrested and would like to join we would love to see your work! Post pics of progress and then at the end of the month post a pic of al that you accomplished! It would be great if everyone could post progress weekly (but not required). At the end of the month we can piece together our work and show off our afghans and Inga bags and whatever else you can come up with to make with nifty grannies! (Must post a completed project or progress pic in this thread.)

You can find many of the other threads in the crochet-a-long section to see how we have done it before!

granny square links:
bevs country cottage
crochet cabana

Picture credit goes to Lucy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011 09:59:37 AM by BabyCakes8510 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011 10:51:33 AM »

YaY...thank you babycakes for opening up another month of Granny FuN!!  =]  Today I'm working on putting my Inga bag together...maybe a liner later...Pics coming!!  Happy Stitchin' ya'all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011 11:46:56 AM »

I really want to start another scrap granny this month! I was thinking Gray to bring it all together..Hmmm. Last month I finished a scrappy wave-ghan for my son, and a couple of baby things. Is it just me or is everyone having a baby?! Will post pics as soon as I can get my stuff together. This should be fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011 03:02:43 PM »

hulllooooo...Nfirehazzard!  Where ya been??  Are you having a baby???  Hate asking that...no babies for me, 'cept grandbaby girl!!  She came in August last year! =]  I only know of one other, Dizzer, that's expecting...or was! 
Anyway, glad to see ya this month, and your new icon is gonna take getting used to!

=]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msdrey30
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011 07:17:08 PM »

I'm in for February! I got 6 rows sewn together width wise so far. working is going slow lately. still doing 2-3 squares a day though, so it's going. hoping to be able to post pictures soon Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011 05:10:21 PM »

I'm in again, or at least I'll try! Oh, and I finally got a couple pictures posted of the monster granny blanket I'm making for my dad, at the very tail end of January's thread. It's about a foot from being finished...as in, a foot from being king sized! Here's hoping I can get that thing DONE by the end of this month! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011 08:44:04 AM »

No babies for me, yet, but hopefully soon! And thanks, I designed the icon myself, thinking about printing some cards and labels. I'm going to try very hard to join in this time around. I had a baby shower last night and spent the last 3 days making tiny, cute things, lol. Right now I just need a granny blanket to make my couch all cozy! I was thinking about using one of these:

Solid Square, Blushing Grannies, Puffed Rings

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the Solid Square, which is in this book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011 09:46:33 AM »

I'm gonna have to log-in to Ravelry to check out the solid granny pattern...the other two are nice, too.  I'm going to get started on an Esther square in purples, white and grey.  I've not tried one yet.
I did just get my Inga bag done, lining, handles and everything...will post pic later today!

Here it is...I never get tired of the Inga bag! (my 4th)

I made the handles from dbl strand yarn knit into I-cord.  Also upcycled a skirt for the lining.  =]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011 06:58:09 PM by Kittymom13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011 01:46:41 PM »

I am going to have to get in on this. I am kinda lazy and could use the motivation...and even if I don't do one a day, the guilt will make me at least get on it!! :p I wanted to make some Xmas presents and I really think to make it happen, I have to start early so I don't feel too overwhelmed come fall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011 08:33:44 PM »

Welcome all!

Kittymom that is an awesome inga. I really love that pattern too! Your color choicess are great (as always)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011 05:52:00 PM »

So yeah, I ended up making my own square, but I got started with 200 Crochet Squares by Jan Eaton. I love this book, its one of my favorites!

Kittymom: I love that bag, your stuff is always so awesome. I'm too lazy to line my bags..even though I usually by 1/2 a yard of cloth to do so.. I never have! So lazy! lol.

Here are my pics, I'm hoping on having 2 more done by tonight. I started a new job on Monday, and I can only crochet when I get home and things are settled down...so lets hope I have an afghan by the end of this VERY short month!

RH Yarn- DK Orchid, Lavender, Grey Heather, and Soft White

My Squares- (Modified Solid Squares)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msdrey30
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011 09:48:20 PM »

i got 2 squares done today. been going kinda slow here lately cuz the hubby is home.. wish he would go back to work (he's a over the road trucker).. also took a couple hours to make a hat for myself lol.

nfirehazzard, i would be interested in the pattern for the solid square. the ones i am working on are semi-solid, they still have holes in the corners where i dc2 ch2 dc2 then work the side. are you just not doing the ch2?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011 07:13:06 AM »

Very pretty colors and design...Nfirehazzard.  Congrats on the job, too! Cheesy  I totally understand about the lack of crochet/crafting time w/work.  We live rather remote and DH has a better paying job, so I'm off the hook for the moment.  I'm still getting used to lining bags-even making bags is still new to me.  The more I've done the more I feel it completes and complements the crochet/knit work. =]

msdrey30...know what ya mean about da hubster being around...seems the crafty mojo is out the window somehow!  Wink  But I try anyways, cutting fabric for some reason is still a good way to keep my mind on what I'll do when my time is my own again...=]  I've got quilt squares cut, bibs, coasters, and potholders to sew up this week that I cut up over the weekend!

Here is the project I'm playing with this month...worked on two squares yesterday, finally, and it always feels like I'm messing it up.  So it is slow going until I get the hang of the pattern.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071031111151/http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/esthers_square.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 07:15:17 AM by Kittymom13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011 08:05:38 PM »

Thanks Msdrey! Its pretty simple, I'll short hand it for ya, 'cause like I said, I modified a pattern in a book:

Ch 5 to make loop or magic circle.
1. 16 DC
2.Ch3(count as 1 dc), 4 dc in same st, 1 dc in following 3 st, repeat. Join to ch3. (So you'll have 5 DC in the corners and increase as you go.)
3.Ch3, 1 dc in next 2 st, 5 dc in middle dc of prev "5 group", dc in next 7 st, repeat.

And so on, until its as big as you want it to be. I did 6 rows, and you can change color whenever you want. I hope that helped. *smiles*

PS Kittymom: Lucky!! I was just telling the hubby he needs to get a job so I can stay at home and crochet more..but the job market sucks right now. Oh well! Once I get more comfy with my job though, and I'm done with training Ill have PLENTY of time to crochet. Def looking forward to that! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011 02:31:56 AM »

Yes, I've been there...worked long hours and didn't have time to craft.  And it's been about a year since DH's Gram passed away...that was a hit for me...she and I were close...so the crafting has been good.  Anyways, it all come in seasons...I do hope that you get well situated in your job and are able relax in the evenings to crochet.  You do great work and it's a good stress reliever! 
DH reminds me all the time that I'm a kept woman... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011 04:28:54 PM »

I need this to keep me going.  I am making a giant granny square baby blanket (for project linus).  Can't wait to see what everyone does!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011 07:01:30 PM »

I got some progress done. Decided to use up a remainder of some random unknown acrylic I got in an ebay lot and I don't know if I just flaked  and added some extra stitches on the granny square or if the yarn is funky, but it is super duper ruffley. Not sure what I am going to do with those two..maybe a purse or add some rows to cover a pillow in hopes of it being stretched? Hah. The other are two are 5 row double crochet squares from 201 Crochet Motifs in RH Buff and Aspen Print.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011 09:11:28 PM »

@ Zatanna, I love your squares, they're going to make very pretty pillow covers. As for the ruffly part, I would suggest taking out a few stitches. I cant really tell from the pic, but it looks like ur doing 2 DC in the spaces btwn the 3dc that make up the granny. I would suggest leaving those 2 stitches out all together, all the way around, or just doing 1 dc if you think it looks too sparse. That should make everything nice and flat for ya! Good luck! *smiles*
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011 09:12:13 PM by nfirehazzard » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrystalAllen
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011 11:58:25 AM »

I love this idea! I could really use the motivation. I'll have to join in for next month Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horsygirl321
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011 02:18:09 PM »

Ooohhh can I jump in now?  Cheesy I've got a granny-square quilt-type blanket I just started for my mom.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        You like my designs? Wow, thanks!
      You can check out the patterns here:         
           http://oregonstream.etsy.com
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011 05:19:27 PM »

@ Zatanna, I love your squares, they're going to make very pretty pillow covers. As for the ruffly part, I would suggest taking out a few stitches. I cant really tell from the pic, but it looks like ur doing 2 DC in the spaces btwn the 3dc that make up the granny. I would suggest leaving those 2 stitches out all together, all the way around, or just doing 1 dc if you think it looks too sparse. That should make everything nice and flat for ya! Good luck! *smiles*

I think you are right, thank!. I was just picking it up and doing it on memory, doh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011 11:30:21 AM »

they are very pretty squares, zatanna!  I hope you keep making more and show us a very pretty afghan!  I've barely done any crocheting this month.  Argh...gotten into getting sewing projects and working up some destashing projects.  I'm looking in here often for updates, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011 07:45:43 AM »

Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one looking for updates! Since Ive started my new job all Ive had time for is coming home, eating supper and passing out! I think Ive made 4 more squares since my first picture. This is going to be a tough month, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make up the days Ive missed on the weekends...good luck guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011 08:35:02 AM »

Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one looking for updates! Since Ive started my new job all Ive had time for is coming home, eating supper and passing out! I think Ive made 4 more squares since my first picture. This is going to be a tough month, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make up the days Ive missed on the weekends...good luck guys!

This is supposed to be relaxing, too, so rest and don't stress yourself too much! I'll make an extra square in your honor hah!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msdrey30
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011 09:35:46 PM »

i actually did a few squares tonight, after reorganizing my crafty area. it was a mess cuz we just redid the tile in our kitchen. only need 1 more yellow square to finish off for the 7th row. then i will be half way done!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horsygirl321
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011 01:01:46 PM »

I hope you don't mind that I'm just jumping in here.  Smiley I've been working on an quilt-type afghan made from granny squares, and here's what's done so far:

This is one main square, and there will be 6 in the finished afghan, so far so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011 07:34:15 PM »

I really like that block....I hadn't really thought to do something patterns quite like that, very neato.

Mine are a lot less fab, but I figure I better just keep cranking them out and use up yarn.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011 02:15:35 PM »

Great job on your squares!  They are going to make for very nice afghans.  I'm a bit wary of doing half-square triangles in crochet...I'd say you're brave horseygirl!  Cheesy

I've not gotten one square done this month.  One that I'd been trying didn't turn out right and I'm working on the next one now.  I think it is pretty, just a bit time consuming. Keep the squares and pics coming.  I hope to post one soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011 05:15:10 PM »

I think I'm going to call it, and put off my blanket until next month. A friend of mine just found out she's having a girl... so to the yarn wall I go to fetch some pink. It's like the babies never end! Lol. Good luck guys, I love what I'm seeing so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horsygirl321
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011 11:38:07 AM »

zatanna, I really like how your squares are more filled out than the traditional granny.   Smiley
Thanks, Kittymom13; those half-squares take me awhile, but I'm liking the outcome.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011 07:33:54 PM »

Ohhh, baby blankies are much funner to do...=]  I'm going to ditch the squares I was thinking on doing and get to the granny blanket squares!!  =]

Here is the OnE I completed:

And here is the botched one, making a coaster for the matching colored placemat beside the loveseat!!  Coffee and stitching spot in the morning...=]

I'm going to do some looking through my patterns and start a granny first thing in the morning!!

Well, it's sort of a granny...and there are ten squares to make for the top!  I can crochet the dress part while getting on with more grannies for a new blanket in March:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 03:22:22 PM by Kittymom13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011 05:27:11 PM »

My blanket so far.  It's just a giant granny square, right now it is about 21" x 21".  It is for project linus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011 06:30:49 PM »

Well, it's sort of a granny...and there are ten squares to make for the top!  I can crochet the dress part while getting on with more grannies for a new blanket in March:

Those are very pretty and delicate...nice! Very summery. And I don't think we are totally only allowed grannys...I thought it said motifs too...otherwise I am in trouble, eep!

My blanket so far.  It's just a giant granny square, right now it is about 21" x 21".  It is for project linus!

Nice work - very cheerful (which is great for the charity! Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011 06:50:34 AM »

@Kittymom: Yes they are! I love baby blankets, I'm making this Heirloom Blanket. And OMG I have that same book! I love collecting vintage crochet patterns...but then again I've always loved the smell of old books. Lol.

@ Lisa: I love your color choices, super cute granny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011 08:26:37 AM »

I like the giant granny blanket, EnginerdLisa...great colors!  How much bigger does it need to be for project Linus?

Holey Toledo, nfirehazzard!!  You got mad crochet skillz doing pineapples and flowers...is it in thread or sport/fingering weight yarn??  I would love to see progress pics on that...=]

I LoVe old books and yes, I have a ton.  Double great when you can find crafting ones!  I'm hoping to do a pinkish gingham granny blanket from the same book for March...and maybe an Inga bag...gotta move the yarn off of my shelf!! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011 07:32:21 PM »

Well, I didn't manage to get much done on my granny afghan this month, thanks to moving and work...But, I did manage to make my very first teddy bear! I had him finished for about 30 seconds before my nephew decided Teddy was his... LOL!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011 08:24:26 AM »

KismetFyrechyld: Cute teddy and the little guy that claimed him!  =]  Hope you can get more stitching done in March!

Here is the finished sundress(or top):

I ran out of the brighter pink yarn and added my own border to it.  I'd like to do another one(or more)of these as I have plenty of baby yarn to use up.

I'm unwinding a couple of old ponchos that were given to me(unfinished) and will go w/this pattern for March:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011 08:57:49 AM »

Oh pretty! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horsygirl321
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011 10:13:06 AM »

Those are so pretty! Very delicate. So where did our lovely BabyCakes go? I've been looking forward to the march granny-a-day.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011 04:56:15 PM »

Those are so pretty! Very delicate. So where did our lovely BabyCakes go? I've been looking forward to the march granny-a-day.  Smiley

Yes - I wanted to cheat and do my end of feb stuff in the March thread  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011 05:53:40 PM »

Are we doing a March granny-a-day? I haven't seen anything... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horsygirl321
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011 07:34:05 PM »

Are we doing a March granny-a-day? I haven't seen anything... Sad

We should, in my opinion.  Smiley I think one of us should start up the march granny-a-day just like BabyCakes would: copy and paste all the normal stuff she puts up on the first main page and stuff. Then when she returns whoever started it could pass it right back to her. What do you think? I would be plenty willing to set it up if no one else wanted to. PLEASE tell me if I'm being pushy, I really don't want to step on anyone's toes.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horsygirl321
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011 07:38:51 PM »

wait! I checked her profile on here and it says the last time she was on was on February 27th... so hopefully she'll come back to the crochetalongs soon.  Smiley (p.s. I swear I'm not a stalker. really.)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011 08:21:52 AM »

Im here! I am so sorry. No body hook me. please.

I will be setting it up today!

I think I will go ahead and set up the discussion for April too! Did you know we have been doing a granny-a-day for a year after this month!!!!! How exciting!

Also, great work this month! If you haven't posted progress pics yet please do so soon! We want to see!!!!!

Thanks!
Babycakes!

HERE IT IS! MARCH
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011 10:04:15 AM by BabyCakes8510 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Reveal of the Santa Claus Makeover
4 Different Ways To Wear Leather Pants
Anne Hathaway Has Wardrobe Malfunction At Les Miserables Premiere
How to Make a Sequined Tie Sweater
How to Rock the Shimmery Trend for Daytime
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...