A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made glitter shoes! (kinda pic heavy)  (Read 7897 times)
Tags for this thread: shoes , glitter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glitterweazl
« on: February 01, 2011 09:11:27 PM »

So, I've been lurking around craftster for awhile now....and after looking at all the reconned shoes I decided to try my hand at it. I wanted some custom glittery heels. So...I went to goodwill and hobby lobby and got some cheap (but really nice) heels and some pretty Martha Stewart glitters.

After the first coat of glitter. Sorry about the flash....best way to get the right color...

First coat still

Second coat. At this point to my eye they looked good....

Close up of glitters. Second coat.

Here you can see where the camera has shown me that, upon closer inspection, these need a third coat (due to image resizing I have circled the dark spots to make them easier to see)

Third coat and sealed!

They're so pretty and shiny! I'm so happy with how they turned out!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilak Tygress
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011 09:26:46 PM »

LOVE THOSE!! Welcome to the glitter shoe club.  Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliot_anne
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011 09:32:11 PM »

Ooo! Makes me want to make a pair for St. Patrick's Day! ... and for all the other holidays... >.>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitterweazl
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011 10:05:46 PM »

Thanks! I really like them. I've wanted to custom glitter my own shoes for awhile. Much more bank friendly to custom do them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011 11:14:43 PM »

Beautiful. I love them - and the toenails too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SailorMaat
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011 02:41:10 AM »

Awesome shoes. You did a great job on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011 03:53:17 AM »

These look fantastic! What adhesive did you use for the glitter? And what sealant?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
glitterweazl
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011 07:06:51 AM »

These look fantastic! What adhesive did you use for the glitter? And what sealant?

So far I've just used mod podge (the glossy one) as both glue and sealant. Since the bottle says it is both adhesive and a sealant I figure it should be ok. If not we'll deal with that when we get to it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011 07:24:00 AM »

Those are wicked! Good job indeed. You look like you're going to celebrate St. Patrick's day Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twelvedaysold

http://twelvedaysold.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011 09:37:45 AM »

I hate how much I want these shoes.  I'm so jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011 10:01:13 AM »

I hate how much I want these shoes.  I'm so jealous!
It's really easy to glitterfy shoes. You should make some Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011 10:19:12 AM »

GAH! These are bloody fantastic!! Cheesy Must go to the thrift shop to do some shoe shopping now....great work! Smiley -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
xTabsx
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011 10:43:01 AM »

I MUST have a pair of these NOW (only in pink) only problem is I wouldnt know what to seal with as we dont have modge podge easily available here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alice in Craftsterland: received (YAY) and sent...
Crafty Detective: Inspired
Ongoing ATC swap: 4 claims
Number of days not smoked: 27
glitterweazl
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011 11:27:58 AM »

xTabsx : I have read tutorials where they use an acrylic sealant. I don't know what you'd be able to find, but I'd guess anything that's used to seal decoupage or acrylic paints for use would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishgurll
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011 12:10:49 PM »

These are absolutely gorgeous, well done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- I use antlers in all of my decorating -
Calentine
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011 02:01:50 PM »

LOVE 'EM! That's a nice color glitter you used, too!  These could easily up one's fabulosity average, which means I should probably try my hand at something it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Houlihan
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011 04:49:37 AM »

I have a pair of half finished pink glitter shoes, that have been in the screen porch since before Christmas. They didn't get to be the Christmas present I hoped...I am totally going to try the adhesive you used. I was having a little bit of the same, glitter in more spots than others, but I really don't think you can tell. These look really awesome!
Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My happy little blog: www.whippedlife.com
sabrinalouisemiller

ATCs are an Obsession.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011 07:00:29 AM »

These are gorgeous! And the modge podge doesn't crack or anything, eh? I'm assuming the shoes are not leather . . . maybe I should look these questions up on the forum, lol.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
80years at heart

My mom took my scissors away :(

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011 08:54:36 AM »

these are awesome. I so am going to try to make some!!!!!! thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011 10:29:00 AM »

These are gorgeous! And the modge podge doesn't crack or anything, eh? I'm assuming the shoes are not leather . . . maybe I should look these questions up on the forum, lol.  Grin
I doubt the mod podge starts to crack...it does stay fairly flexible and moves with the shoe (so far at least). The shoes are not leather, just a pair of cheap shoes I found at Goodwill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sabrinalouisemiller

ATCs are an Obsession.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011 01:40:27 PM »

Thanks for answering those questions - all of that information is great! I will have to go and find myself some shoes and modge podge - I of course own the sparkles already.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threadbanger
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011 05:21:28 PM »

*falls off couch*

SERIOUSLY?!?!  My two favorite things...glitter and heels.  Guess I'll be hitting the thrift store for those super faded or damaged heels I usually pass up! 

Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011 07:29:33 PM »

Thank you! Glitter and heels are 2 of my favorite things. I would suggest to anyone who is making some, to keep in mind that the way the glitter looks in the tube will be the way it looks on your shoe (after about 3 coats). I blended 3 Martha Stewart glitters that are finer because they're intended for scrapbooking. Personally I think the finer glitter looks more like what you would see on the store bought glitter heels (I do own a pair of the store bought) than what a coarser glitter would. Of course it is all up to personal tastes. I would love to see any glittered shoes that anyone makes. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dra

Life is only what you make it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011 07:15:48 AM »

Those are freaking awesome!
I love the colour of them too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayesis
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011 04:13:07 PM »

SOOO EXTRA CUTE!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juxtapoet
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011 05:45:16 PM »

great job on the shoes but what's up w the martha stewart glitter thang? i think ANY brand glitter would have worked. she really doesn't need our $$$$, people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011 05:32:10 AM »

Yes, juxtapoet any brand *would* have worked, however there was not any comparable cheap glitter. I'm not saying you have to go out and use the Martha Stewart glitter, it's just what I used because it was exactly what I was looking for...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
infructescence
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011 04:47:09 PM »

those are so amazing. Does the modge-podge do a good job of sealing so that the glitter doesn't shed? Some I have seen in the store look like they would leave a trail everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ensemble of fruits derived from ovaries of an inflorescence.
glitterweazl
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011 07:15:59 AM »

those are so amazing. Does the modge-podge do a good job of sealing so that the glitter doesn't shed? Some I have seen in the store look like they would leave a trail everywhere.

Well I haven't worn them out yet, but I think they're sealed down pretty well. I do expect some extra glitter to come off here or there but I don't think it would be too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickster
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011 08:52:25 AM »

Hi, total newbie here but long time lurker.  I really want to make some myself but I'm not sure what mediums to use, there's so many different kinds of modge podge!  Do I want to use gloss (not the paper kind?) and then top it with the outdoors one?  Or finish with acrylic spray?  I read somewhere that modge podge is just like pva, could I use that to adhere the glitters and then finish it with acrylic spray?  I want to make sure they are waterproof to hold up to the British weather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011 03:27:50 AM »

Hi, total newbie here but long time lurker.  I really want to make some myself but I'm not sure what mediums to use, there's so many different kinds of modge podge!  Do I want to use gloss (not the paper kind?) and then top it with the outdoors one?  Or finish with acrylic spray?  I read somewhere that modge podge is just like pva, could I use that to adhere the glitters and then finish it with acrylic spray?  I want to make sure they are waterproof to hold up to the British weather.
I used the gloss, but I don't think it would matter too horribly if you used a different kind of mod podge or even a different kind of glue. I used mod podge because it's a decoupage glue and sealant, but I assume a pva glue would work too. If you want certainty of it being waterproof (since I haven't been able to test mine yet, the ground here being covered in about 20 inches of snow) I would seal it with an outdoor acrylic sealant after covering the shoes in glue and glitter. I'd love to see your shoes when you get them done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickster
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011 08:38:14 AM »

Thanks for all the info, I'm def going to give it a go.  Not sure how much glitter I'll need though.  In theory I want to attempt a sort of rainbow stripey blend, but for a beginner I might be overcomplicating things a bit there.  I should be able to find acrylic sealent in the hardware store!  I'll def post pics after they are done.  My only problem now is, I live in a block of flats with a communal garden area which all of our balconies look into; my neighbours will think I'm nuts! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011 01:10:06 PM »

I really didn't use as much glitter as I thought I would...but ya know...having extra glitter is never a bad thing lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
need shoe help
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011 10:59:23 PM »

Love your GREEN glitter shoes! So, I knew it could be done!!! TG for google! I'm glad I found you on here...I'm getting married on the 15th of April and havent been able to find white glitter shoes.  So, I bought something called Diamond Dust a while agao and have been searching for white shoes (I thought that had to be white-but I guess not) anyway the ones i bought are leather. Will this work? Please say yes! and if so, what kind of glue shoudl I use? I had the mod podge in my hand today, too. Sad Wish i would've just bought it!) and to seal, i read on EHOW to use polyurithane-or however u spell that...but since urs came so nice-i want to use what u used! I hope u read this in time!!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterweazl
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011 06:13:17 AM »

I would imagine the leather shoes could be just as easily covered in glitter...I did paint some leather ones awhile back and the only issue I've had is that I needed to seal them. I would use the mod podge because it will stay fairly flexible. I would definitely use a sealant other than mod podge for these shoes since they're going to be special shoes Wink. Mod podge can be used as a sealant, but it tends to stay kind of sticky. It does take a couple of days to get a full coverage, but since you're starting with a white shoe and using a white glitter it might not take as many coats as mine did. The best method I found was to paint a section of mod podge on (about a quarter of the shoe side), then I used a plastic spoon to cover that spot in glitter then repeated the process over the rest of the shoe. Let dry and repeat until desired coverage is achieved. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your wedding! Let me know if you have any other questions. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Cooper Clarke Performs at Laugharne Festival 2012
Laugharne Festival Celebrates Dylan Thomas
Interview With Robin Ince at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Armitage at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Day at Laugharne Festival 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...