A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilted Tote Bag  (Read 950 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

what is essential is invisible to the eye

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011 09:57:28 PM »

A good friend of mine is moving to the mainland in a week, and I decided that it was about time I used my crafty skills for good, and so I made her a bag. She's going to be attending a big university, and will have to carry a lot of books for the insane subjects that she is doing (she's v. clever!), so getting a bag that would be big enough was a pain.

In the end, I used a tutorial from Sew, Mama Sew! and got quilty with it, so it's rather sturdy and right up her alley. It's quilted with a thick felt instead of batting, so that's added a bit of stiffness to it.

Here's the back of the bag. The two lower squares are pockets, and they've also been slightly quilted. My photography skills are not that good, but the picture on the second pocket is a gorgeous bird fabric that I found in another colour for the lining. The second square from the left in the row near the top is actually an image I printed onto fabric to quilt, from a free-to-use website.

This is the front of the bag, with one big pocket at the front! I also printed the fabric used for the quote on that pocket, as well as the flowers and the hourglass in the squares up the top. That quote is very important to me, and is actually a foundation of our friendship -- It's from a story-poem by Neil Gaiman, called Instructions. Earlier this year, he did a reading down here and we waited for two hours to see him -- when he came onstage I honestly nearly passed out, because he and his stories mean that much to me. So that I was able to share that with her -- who also shares my love of Neil, it's quite alright -- meant a lot, especially as she's moving away.

And here is the aforementioned lining fabric. It's a rusty golden brown in real life, and it's got birds and plants all over it -- very rustic, and steampunkery. It also means the bag is reversable, so if she wants, she can flip it over and be different!

Thanks for looking Smiley

For those interested, the quote reads 'Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and Trust your story."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011 03:16:17 AM »

This is one cool bag i bet your friend loves it , well done  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewfumust
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011 04:23:24 AM »

It's a lovely bag - fabric, style, quilting!  What a great gift!  I think she's very lucky to have such a talented, good friend.  Did you quilt it with a regular machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennilocker
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011 06:29:41 AM »

LOVE! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

what is essential is invisible to the eye

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011 02:42:14 PM »

Thank you! I'm hoping she does like it -- she does not get it until wednesday next week.

And sewfumust: yeah, I did just use a regular machine. I just put a quilting foot on and went for it. Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lady Gaga Dresses… Normal! And Shows Off New Tattoo
Kate Middleton Opts for an Easy Island Style on Tour
Adele to Design Plus-Sized Collection For Burberry
Fall Fashion Trends: Printed Pants
Print-Mixing Expert Rachel Roy Shares Her Secrets For Effortless Style
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...