A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
980 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Funky New Jewellery Box!  (Read 814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

what is essential is invisible to the eye

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011 09:31:02 PM »

My jewelery box has been in a state of crisis for the past few years. Messy, overcrowded, and gathering a lot of dust because I was unwilling to brave it's contents for what I wanted, choosing instead to just put up with a lack of decoration. This, as any good Craftster will know, is unacceptable.

So. Before work one day, I made the quickest trek to the reject shop and grabbed two small chest of drawers on sale, for $5 each. While they were destined to be re-covered and made less blindingly fuschia, I thought that a total revamp could work for my jewelery woes. I don't have any pictures of the before, but as you can see from a few as-of-yet uncovered parts in my new boxes, they were variations on fuschia, lavender, and a bit of baby blue.

Forgive the atrocious lighting -- it is raining like nothing else outside, and there is no natural light to be found.

There they are, in all their attractive glory. My room is a vague beige colour, and I've recently been adding a lot of green around the place to brighten it up, so I thought these would go nicely. They're mod-podged fabric scraps from a quilt I am making, coated heavily to make them stiff and indestructible.

I had to replace what were fake silver handles that had been riveted in, I think, with a fun black cord I had laying around. it's just knotted on the inside, but it's doing a wonderful job.

There are the full eight drawers. They're in sets of four, so i can have them sitting side by side or ontop of each other, as space permits.

And here's some of my jewelery inside! As you can see, I didn't cover the entire drawer in fabric. This is because it was a tight enough fit to get the drawers in and out when they were just cardboard -- it's rather more difficult now that they've got a few extra layers of fabric and mod podge in them! I've been stretching the box and drawers using wedges made of masking tape rolled up, to encourage them to bend and pull out nicely. It's working rather well, so far.

And the final glory photo of my favorite fabric. It's a lovely mustard yellow and teal.

Thanks so much for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
merrow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011 10:14:09 PM »

How neat! I'm fond of the shades of green you used and I really like the patterns. That mustard and teal fabric is awesome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011 12:04:14 AM »

i love the fabrics, and the cords make smily faces, which is almost as cheerful as your colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

what is essential is invisible to the eye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011 02:13:44 AM »

Thanks! Luckily, most of the greens do match in real life, they just don't photograph well. And hee, they do smile a bit, don't they!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011 06:10:27 AM »

Love them! Thats an awesome idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to change an Old Hairstyle for a New Look
How to get a New Look for Your Hair
How to Get Sexy Hair Waves with a Hair Straightener
How to Create Sexy Waves with a Ceramic Hair Flat Iron
How to Get Silky Smooth Straight Hair
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...