A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dragon*Con program Cover (with crummy photos and a crummier tute)  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Andi.Devine
« on: January 31, 2011 03:35:27 PM »

So if you pay money to go to dragon*con, they give you a program/schedule with everything that is happening every second of each of the four-ish days the *con is on.  It is very important to have, and to not lose, your personal copy because you probably have circled things you want to do and made notes in it.  You will probably tote it with you literally everywhere all weekend, and pull out of your bag and shove it back into your back something like 20x a day.  Oh did i mention it's printed on newsprint?  and held together with two staples?

Here, I drew you a picture:

but imagine it's just a crumpled up piece of trash.  Because that is exactly what it is by the middle of the first day... THIS WILL NEVER BE MY FATE AGAIN!!

So this year is The Year I'm Smart and I made a cover for my program out of some old Star Wars bedsheets I had made into a dress last year.  (no pic? sorry) 
You've already seen the outside, so here is the inside:

And here is an action shot with an old crumpled-then-uncrumpled program:

And here is my ridiculously crummy tute. (click on any pic to make it bigger)
You will need:
Two pieces of nice cardboard.

Two pieces of cloth.  I'd recommend thinnish.

Two lengths of flat elastic

A nice, flat, big, button.  (yes, these are the notes I make for myself) and an old hairband.  Sorry, no crappy drawing of a hairband.

What you're gonna do is cut 1/2" notches out of all four corners of one piece of fabric.  Spray one side of the board with some kind of craft glue.  Press the board onto the inside of this fabric 1/2" in from the outside edges.  The boards should be 1/2" away from each other. Fold the edges over and hot-glue them onto the inside (un-craft-glued) side of the board.

With the second piece of fabric, cut the notches out again, then fold the 1/2" in onto the "bad" side of the fabric.  Pin.  Iron.  Sew down.

Now time to make the sandwich.  Place your flat elastic two inches or so in from the short edge on the "good" side of the covered board.  Glue it on the "bad" side of the board.  See second live-action photo if this doesn't make sense. 

Your old hairband is going to be the closing mechanism.  So hot-glue it to the "bad" side of the right-hand board.  Basically on the outside of the back of the book. 

So now you have a lovely inside and a really fugly outside.  So take that sewn rectangle of fabric and hot-glue it to the outside where all the hot glue and fugliness is.

Measure where your hairband reaches to on the cover and made a dot with a marker.  Then sew your nice, flat, big, button there.  My button had a nice curve going on, but if yours doesnt, just leave a little space so your hairband has somewhere to fit.

Tada!

I'll probably hot-glue the spine of my program into my little cover here, and use the elastic bands to mark pages.  But if you wanted to use the same cover again and again, you could just use the bands to hold your program in. 

Comments? Questions about my lack of clarity in my crummy tute?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.   -Bokonon
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011 03:49:21 PM »

All I saw was the infamous "Wars" in Star Wars and I went...What is this?  Cool!  I want Star Wars sheets now...guess I should go to Pottery Barn.

That's really cool though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Kids Beaded Necklace
How to Make Kids Beaded Earrings
Ideas for Beaded Bracelets
Ideas for Beaded Earrings
Beading: Necklaces You Can Make
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...