A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Puerco Pibil? Yeah, I had no idea what it was either...  (Read 976 times)
Tags for this thread: pork , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFanatic
« on: January 31, 2011 09:28:20 AM »

So, Arthur, our Guest Grillin Fool, has worked his magic again with Puerco or Cochinita Pibil.  When he sent this to me, I had to look it up, so don't feel bad if you've never heard of it either.  I asked Arthur where he gets this stuff, instead of hearing a story about a parent or grandparent teaching him these recipes, I heard a surprising source for all of his amazing Latin dishes.  He put the source in the write up. 

Here's the full write up with the pictures of every step of the way, including his source, and here are those mouth watering teaser pics:

That looks like heaven in banana leaves to me...

For those of you that are risk averse and would like to read the recipe without the pics:

Ill admit it.  I had no idea what this was when Arthur told me he was doing it.  I had to do an internet search to find out its a traditional Mexican slow roasted pork dish from the Yucatan Peninsula.  I figured it was something that Arthur learned from his parents and grand parents who learned it from their parents and grand parent.  Not really.  Arthur reveals where he has learned his vast knowledge of Latin cuisine.  Ill hand it over to him to explain

Birthdays in my family are an event where everybody brings something to eat for the party. Its also a good event to impress others with my grill skills. So, when my oldest son turned 3 in November, I was prepared to do some major grillin. I already had a brisket and chicken set to smoke, but I needed a knockout pork recipe. I turned to my trusty source for Mexican cuisine, the internet, and found a Mexican pork dish called Puerco or Cochinita Pibil. This dish is not usually prepared on a grill, but I feel confident it will come out just as good or better because I plan to add some smoke and flames to it.

Ingredients:

5 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes:

1pckg of anchiote paste (100g)
2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 jalapeno peppers, minced (keep some seeds)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
8 garlic cloves
2 tbsp salt
5 lemons
1 shot tequila
banana leaves (optional)

Preparation Instructions:

1. Combine the anchiote paste, cumin, pepper, cloves, and allspice in a blender.

2. Add the chopped jalapeno peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt.

3. Blend the dry spices with the liquid until smooth.

4. Add the juice of 5 lemons and the tequila. Blend again until it is well mixed:

5. Place the cubed pork butt in a large 2-gal zip lock bag and add the marinade. Marinate for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

When the marinating is complete, line a disposable aluminum pan with banana leaves and pour everything into the center of the pan:

Place the aluminum pan on the grill. In addition, leave an opening at the top to allow smoke to penetrate the meat:

Banana leaves are not necessary, the same effect can be achieved with aluminum foil. However, it looks really cool with the banana leaves.

Smoke at around 350 F degrees for 1 hour. I threw in a few chunks of apple and peach wood. After one hour, here is what it looks like:

Cover with Banana leaves and seal the pan with foil, BBQ around 350 F degrees for 1.5 to 2 hours:

And here is the final product:

The cochinita pibil was an absolute homerun at the birthday party. Yeah, most people thought it was pulled pork and it basically is. But the aroma and the flavors were vastly different from pulled pork. This was so easy to do! And it saved me so much time the day of the party because with the prep work done the night before and during the cooking it needed little attention, I was able to do my other tasks:

My parents even thought that the meat would be a good filling for tamales, hmmmm

Two things Im going to do differently are: 1) trim more fat from the pork shoulder. There were at times, clumps of fat found in the meat that didnt melt away. I left more fat on purpose, but it just wasnt necessary or tasty to eat a clump of fat. Next time, Ill trim it to a thin layer. 2) Dont over cook it. There were portions of the pork that were mush, this is a sign that it was overcooked. I either should have lowered the temps or taken the pibil out sooner.

***Editors note ~ I wonder if it would be better to smoke the meat for an hour straight on the grill grate, then add to the banana leaves and essentially bake?  Im wondering if it would have more smoke penetration that way.  Might want to bake it a little less.  Just a thought.  It looks outstanding***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brackish Potato
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011 01:09:08 PM »

Oh man, that looks really good. *tummy growl*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011 01:19:07 AM »

this looks great, but I have no hope of getting anchiote paste on this side of the world...I can get a small amount of dried ancho chillies...any relation?  or any substitutes that I could use??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leadmomma
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011 06:33:37 PM »

You can get Anchotie on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/El-Yucateco-Achiote-Red-Paste/dp/B0000GHNV8) if you have a local Hispanic market -- they will likely have it. I got seeds & paste at my local market. But when I lived in Vermont (not a lot of Hispanic markets there) Amazon was my source between trips to the city Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lily Aldridge Is The Face of XOXO for Fall 2013
Jennifer Garner Goes Sexy to Celebrate Her First Fashion Campaign
Designer Looks For Less: Summer Shoe Trends For 2013
Best Dressed Celebrities at the 2013 ESPY Awards
Dressing Modestly in 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...