A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slaying a Dragon  (Read 722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

habitat-lady
« on: January 30, 2011 11:52:27 AM »

I want to paint a dragon for my son's birthday in July.  First step is trying to get dragon sketching skills down and not have my monster look comical. 
I want a ferocious beast, not a fatty that looks like he ate a village, and couldn't fly away.  So lets hope I can tame my pencil. 

This one looks more like a dinosaur. 

I plan on using acrylic for the painting.  Any tips for drawing a rocking man-eating beast? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
stellou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011 12:20:41 PM »

I personnaly like them both...but I'm no dragon expert! Wink
How old is your son? The most beautiful dragon I've seen for children  is from the book "George and the dragon" by Chris Wormell
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8zeHwvd1bQI/SOJWQzJTH8I/AAAAAAAAAro/61idLd9EJS8/s400/inside%2Bdragon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.booksforkids-reviews.com/2008/09/george-dragon-and-princess-by-chris.html&usg=__7njsLCiZBGSIKWollO0z72YyUSM=&h=200&w=400&sz=19&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=yfFPTl1s6fQzJM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=170&ei=qMdFTdPtFaWL4gbXtpxL&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgeorge%2Band%2Bthe%2Bdragon%2Bwormell%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enGB248GB248%26biw%3D952%26bih%3D532%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=92&vpy=86&dur=6937&hovh=159&hovw=318&tx=201&ty=70&oei=lsdFTfDPHsiKhQeBlqi9AQ&esq=6&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

sorry for the long link
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011 12:38:53 PM »

I think the dinosaur idea is good, but would ears make it feel more dragonish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
kuraikatara
Feline Singer of Souls

Icon by TheDaytimeHeroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011 01:11:19 PM »

I agree with Antidigger too but maybe some horns, spines, or frills on the Dino would make it look more dragonish.

For the first you might take some inspiration from the more slender eastern dragons so he doesn't look so bloated (I hear villages tend to do that to you XD), but keep the wings and not going as long to keep the western look.

I'd take a browse of some Dungeons and Dragons type dragons just to scope out their interesting frills, scales, horns, and body styles. You can always mix and match what you like :3 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011 01:15:29 PM »

I think your head sketch is a great base! Horns and a coarse mane would add to the dragon-ness.

I read this website many, many years ago when I was on a dragon/griffon/unicorn/pegasus drawing binge:

http://www.draconian.com/body/body.htm

Click the thumbnails for the full views. I like it because it's set up as an anatomy study, just like for drawing people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andralynn
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011 05:51:41 PM »

I think one of the main differences between a dragon and a dinosaur are the ears (dinosaurs don't have them!). Great sketches! Make sure to post the final product when you're done--I'm dying with curiosity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marshmallowgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011 12:45:26 PM »

well inpressed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
habitat-lady
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011 11:52:15 PM »

Stellou, that is a good pic.  But I'm going for scary fierce.  Have a grandson so he might get the fat dragon.

kuraikatara, Antidigger and Alexus1325, Thanks, thats what I'm looking for.  Those D&D creatures are great.  I've been all over the draconian site.  Now i have sketched all kinds of body parts.  Might make some cool ceiling art hanging dragon bits and pieces.   Grin 

andralynn and marshmallowgirl, thank you!!  I'm way out of my comfort zone.

Thank you all for your wisdom and help!  Folks like you are why I love Crackster. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use an Embroidery Hoop
How to Make a Basting Stitch
How to Back Stitch
How to Wrap a Difficult Item
How to Choose Collage Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...