A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chewbacca of the Dead  (Read 4055 times)
Tags for this thread: chewbacca , day_of_the_dead , embroidery , star_wars  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011 08:48:30 AM »

epp love it....does he have his own embroidery transfers?

no i printed a drawing and traced it and transferred it myself. thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Foxy Dragon
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011 09:55:44 AM »

no i printed a drawing and traced it and transferred it myself. thank you Smiley

what transfer method do you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekutthroat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011 10:17:11 AM »

what transfer method do you use?

I use solvy! I just cut some off, tape it around the design and trace.. then when I hope it I just put the drawn transfer one top, after stitching I was it with hand soap and let it try.. ta-da!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011 10:25:13 AM »

The artwork is by Jose Pulido, who is an awesome artist that day of the deads everything..

Very nice.  Plus I love that you turned "day of the dead" into a verb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekutthroat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011 11:55:28 AM »

The artwork is by Jose Pulido, who is an awesome artist that day of the deads everything..

Very nice.  Plus I love that you turned "day of the dead" into a verb!

bahaha that is me! I make up my own grammar. I am sure the 4 English teachers in my family are so proud! haha thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canamharris
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011 07:12:38 PM »

Oh my goodness! Awesomeness! I so want to do one of his now! I really like the lady liberty and the Obi/Darth battle. Awesome Chewy! Sublime stitching should have him be one of her artist series! These are so perfect for embroidery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekutthroat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011 10:55:13 PM »

Oh my goodness! Awesomeness! I so want to do one of his now! I really like the lady liberty and the Obi/Darth battle. Awesome Chewy! Sublime stitching should have him be one of her artist series! These are so perfect for embroidery!

yeah pretty sure the artist would have to agree to the release of their images. from what I have been told he doesn't want anyone making a profit off of his work. so I doubt that will happen. I made this piece as a gift for a friend, and I am sure he will love it. thank you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011 06:35:24 AM »

this is really well done...and honestly I'm not really a star wars fan...but i LOVE chewy lol, if that makes sense. Art is actually a weird thing...if i take and art image, and redo it in a different medium as long as my name is on it i can sell it as my own...or with telling people who the original was done by. for art class we had to go to the net and find a pic we liked change it to into a cross hatch drawing and then do all the other steps to make it into a print. because we changed whatever art we chose into a different style it now becomes ours, its not the same as a direct copy. I'm not sure about tracing their exact image though...but i was taught to believe that was cheating unless its your own image but that's just how art teachers are. maybe if you looked at the image and drew it free hand it'd turn out even better anyway. my friends in that class had to have me draw theirs out because they couldn't, sometimes its hard to get the proportions correct. Though i can understand not doing it for other reasons Smiley you could always pick your favourite movie or images and change them to that style. theres no harm letting them influence you like that.

*sorry to keep rambling like this i just looked up the art work and i was just wondering, do you know how it was done? is it just an ink drawing? its in a series like a print would be so maybe it was done the old fashioned way but i dont see any indent around the paper that would let me know it was done with the press like prints are.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011 06:47:30 AM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekutthroat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011 07:12:11 AM »

this is really well done...and honestly I'm not really a star wars fan...but i LOVE chewy lol, if that makes sense. Art is actually a weird thing...if i take and art image, and redo it in a different medium as long as my name is on it i can sell it as my own...or with telling people who the original was done by. for art class we had to go to the net and find a pic we liked change it to into a cross hatch drawing and then do all the other steps to make it into a print. because we changed whatever art we chose into a different style it now becomes ours, its not the same as a direct copy. I'm not sure about tracing their exact image though...but i was taught to believe that was cheating unless its your own image but that's just how art teachers are. maybe if you looked at the image and drew it free hand it'd turn out even better anyway. my friends in that class had to have me draw theirs out because they couldn't, sometimes its hard to get the proportions correct. Though i can understand not doing it for other reasons Smiley you could always pick your favourite movie or images and change them to that style. theres no harm letting them influence you like that.

*sorry to keep rambling like this i just looked up the art work and i was just wondering, do you know how it was done? is it just an ink drawing? its in a series like a print would be so maybe it was done the old fashioned way but i dont see any indent around the paper that would let me know it was done with the press like prints are.

my technique to embroidery is quite common, I think most people take a image and trace it or copy it before they stitch it. I know this artist has told a fellow crafter to NOT sell any reproductions of his art. and I believe he just draws the images but I could be wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011 09:39:25 AM »

this is a hotly debated issue
but I think in the case where someone's making money off someone else's work, even if it is modified, it is copyright theft if the image is clearly copied from the original. And the individual who created the original work has the right to take that case to court if they think they have a case - then it is in the hands of the jury to decide if copyright has been breached.

We all get inspiration from places, and thats fine, Katie's not selling this so there's nothing to sue her over. No harm no foul. Tracing is not cheating in embroidery.

But you're right, intellectual property rights are complicated in the art/design world. It is a funny thing. If you drew your own Jose What-cha-call-him inspied art and then embroidered it, you could sell that no probelm.

Aside from all this, this work is awesome, the colouring is excellent and the stitching is so tidy! congrats Katie, thanks for switching me on to this guy!

x G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sepia Effect in Paint.NET
How to Create a Simple Flash Movie in Flash CS3
How to Create an Oil Painting From an Image in Paint.NET
How to Create an Outline Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Create Circular Text on a Path in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...