A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soul Journaling-a-long  (Read 9141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011 10:00:54 AM »

I am already appreciating this project.  Grin

I've just done the first day's "assignment." JUST this one assignment already makes a big difference - I already have something "messier" to show than what I normally do (and enjoyed it).  (Usually I like everything nice and neat and in order, so nothing artsy or stylistic ever shows up.  The effort of scrawling in Sharpie over the book pages really made a difference.)  It probably also helps that this is separate from my "regular" journal, so I have no fear of "messing it up."  I took pictures, but it's a hassle to post them, so I'll probably do them in batches every few assignments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011 05:14:58 AM »

I'm not liking the gesso.   Tongue  It did not brush on easily at all.  It was way too thick/stiff, and ended up in almost-lumps.  (I did discover that it spread much better with a hand-held sponge than a brush.)  And then I can't go over it very well.  I had to do my name page in Sharpies because my other markers wouldn't write on the gesso.  They just sort of "reactivated" it, and the white smeared around with the ink and diluted/dulled it.  Am I doing something wrong?  (Never worked with gesso before.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011 05:51:11 AM »

I don't like the gesso either - it is very thick. Most of my markers didn't want to write on the gesso either. Normally gesso is applied to surfaces in preparation of acrylic/oil paint. Maybe white acrylic paint will work better?? Perhaps I'll give it a try and see if it yields a better result.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011 06:07:43 AM »

I'll have to try that, too.

Or, maybe, the page needs to be gessoed (for the thickness) and then painted with a thin layer of white acrylic to "seal" it in.  But aren't acrylics water-based, too?  So what would keep the acrylic paint from just making a muddle of the gesso like the markers did?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011 07:55:43 AM »

I'll have to try that, too.

Or, maybe, the page needs to be gessoed (for the thickness) and then painted with a thin layer of white acrylic to "seal" it in.

Now that sounds like a good idea!
I just finished my taped pages Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011 08:17:37 AM »

Here are my first couple days' worth (clickable thumbnails):

You may notice that mine start on the "wrong" side of the page, as compared to the ones on the site.  She started with the first spread, rather than the first actual page.  Sooo...that means that what she is using as 2-page spreads won't come out right for mine.  But I actually skipped the first sheet of paper.  (I always do that - in case it comes loose from wear, or so I can add a title page later, or whatever.)  So I'm going to actually do my soul armor page to the left of my name page.  That should set the rest of my pages back on track.  I'm working on that now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidnightGds
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011 06:19:19 PM »

How cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krinjal
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011 01:51:57 AM »

hey........hi...... ...this looks really gr8........nice work........i loved it.......!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2JC4life
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011 09:35:19 AM »

I just discovered that what I had that I thought was gesso was gouache.  Roll Eyes I've just bought some actual gesso, and we'll see if that works any better!  In the meantime, here are some of my other pages.

Soul Armor:

Inchies:

(I accidentally skipped Day 4, so the background on my inchies page is not quite right, and the inchies don't "pop." They're definitely better after finishing day 9, though. Smiley

Taped Pages:

This purple didn't come out as dark as I had envisioned.  I might have to add a layer of black paint to this.

And I stuck the trimmed pieces from around the edges to another page:

And experimented with my metallic tape on another spread:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011 10:57:50 AM »

A2JC4life - I really like your purple taped pages!  Grin

Here is my attempt:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011 11:14:52 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Lab Color Mode in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use RGB Color Channels in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Channels in Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Channels Panel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Channels and Masking
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...