A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soul Journaling-a-long  (Read 9139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yofi
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011 09:36:48 AM »

Yay!  Found a good journal, and I'm looking forward to getting started.  I read ahead a few prompts, just to get an idea of what kind of supplies are called for.  I don't think I'll be able to finish these as quickly as the author does; I'm thinking I'll be spending about a week per page.

But it should be a fun process, however long it takes.  I've always been intrigued by journaliing and altered books, but I feel too overwhelmed to start.  (I'm not very confident about my "artistic" as opposed to my "crafty" skills!)  But I think with the prompts, and the deadlines, it should be a lot of fun.  

And given that my book has 100 pages, I may be inspired to just keep going after I get to Day 22!

Getting started this weekend....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011 02:53:16 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011 12:02:45 PM »

Went ahead and covered the first three pages last night.  I'm such a bibliophile I couldn't bring myself to cut up dictionary pages -- even tho' I once bought a yard sale dictionary just for that purpose.

But telephone directories... I've got no respect for them. 

And they cover the pages wonderfully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011 11:46:57 AM »

Went ahead and covered the first three pages last night.  I'm such a bibliophile I couldn't bring myself to cut up dictionary pages -- even tho' I once bought a yard sale dictionary just for that purpose.

But telephone directories... I've got no respect for them. 

And they cover the pages wonderfully!

I used telephone directory pages too! Worked a treat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011 12:42:16 PM »

Yep -- I'm pleased with the telephone book pages -- just the right degree of pulpy absorbancy....

Altho' I made the mistake of writing with a felt tip marker.  It ended up being sooooo dark there was no way the gesso would even but a veil on it, let alone cover it.

So I tore out those pages (which actually gives he book a little breathing room for fatter pages!) and started again.  This time I used a fine-tip pen, and the gesso covered it quite nicely.  Altho' I found there were a few "slick" spots where neither the felt tip or the fine line pen seemed to "take".

Once I got started I realized I don't have as much in the way of colored pens, inks, stamps, etc., as I thought.  I was quite pleased with this page over the weekend, looking at it now, I think I was a little timid with the color.  So I may go back and rework it a bit.  And do a little craft shopping.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011 11:17:02 AM »

I've been thinking about my soul armour page all week; writing down a list of qualities that foster creativity, then writing down a list of ways I encourage creative ideas, then a list of actual things that protect me or make me more creative -- things like the radio microphone that enables me to ask all sorts of dumb questions, or the old slouchy boots that make me feel invincible.

But all I was getting was lists of words!  So I started googling armour, looking for pictures.  Nothing resonated until i found this warrior:

I think she's the creative spirit itself.  Once I get her sized right, she's going into the book -- and I'm off to arm her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011 10:28:02 AM »

I had a lot of fun with this page.  I may end up going back and adding more -- I didn't want it to feel too cluttered -- but I really like where I left it for now.

The background color is very washed out in this picture for some reason; it's a blue and green watercolor effect.  

I'd started with lists of words (and I'm not much for drawing) so I armed my creative soul with words.  Wit and humor at the point and pommel of her sword, curiosity at the tip of her staff, with a fringe of wonder.  She's got one foot planted in reality, the other riding on whimsy, and -- yes, hokey as it sounds -- she has her heart on her sleeve...

Another touch that doesn't photograph well is the glitter glue I painted on the mail coat she's wearing.  Gives it a nice irridescent touch.

As I said, I may go back and do more work on this page, but I had a lot of fun with it this weekend!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011 03:23:15 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011 09:52:07 AM »

Preparing the page for the inchies....

I tend to be a bit cautious about color -- I figure you can always add more, but it's hard to take away, and so most things end up being a little too... pastel-y.

Went a different direction this time.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011 02:57:25 PM »

I collected and arranged my "inchies" this weekend.  One thing I learned is  -- that I have no idea how large an inch is.

Rather than collecting the "perfect" representation of each item (which would paralyze me!) I simply took a stack of old magazines (all DIY home dec type mags as it happened) and leafed thru them, ripping out the first picture I saw of each item and crossing it off the list.  When I got them all crossed off, I trimmed them down to an inch, tucked them in the book and left them overnight.

The next day I laid out the inches, got a few more magazines of a different type and leafed thru them, looking to see if I found any *better* representations, and swapping out some inchies here and there.

I think I got a pretty good cross section of images -- without getting bogged down in perfectionism.  (Actually not something I usually suffer from, but I try to take precautions....)

Oddly enough, I didn't come up with "A-R-T" -- but I did see "T-R-A", as in 'tra-la-la'.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011 03:28:00 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011 11:39:55 AM »

Moving on to the tape page.....

I really got into the confessional nature of this prompt.  I still had plenty to say even after I covered the two pages with my crabby little script -- so I started writing sideways!  Had done a pretty job of covering the text even before I started in with the tape.

I had black electrical tape and blue painters tape, and have been looking for an excuse to buy metal tape.  I really liked the page at this stage.  Since then I've applied the gesso and started sanding, and I'm not liking it so much.  The gesso really dulled all the colors, and sanding the plastic-y electrical tape and ink seems to simply leave black smudges all over the page.  Hoping the right color wash will redeem it, and I may add in a few more foil or paper accents keeping in the theme of concealing secrets.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2011 06:26:08 PM »

Wow! This looks like fun! I just bough myself a tiny A5 journal with watercolor thickness pages and spiral binding from an art shop (It was $10 and I couldn't pass it up) but have been lugging it around in my bag as a 'in case of inspiration' jotter/journal. Needless to say, it is blank. Maybe if I start it off with this, inspiration will follow more quickly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 17 Day Diet Saved Their Lives
The Leading Indicators: A Short History of the Numbers That Rule Our World
Anjelica Huston on Her Father, John Huston
Anjelica Huston on Her Mother
Doris Kearns Goodwin: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...