A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Padded laptop bag + stars = w00t  (Read 748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mizua

sanity is overrated.

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2011 05:53:29 PM »

HI!
So, I recently got a new job, at which I was given a laptop to use. My old laptop bag was a little too small for everything I needed, plus rather blah, and I was tired of having to carry my purse and a laptop bag and juggle whatever else I had... so I decided to make a bag to fit it all!

This was the first big project I ever carefully planned out, went and selected fabric and batting for, and actually made purely from scratch--I'm usually a recon girl or make things out of scraps, duct tape, whatever. So I'm pretty excited.

The construction was pretty easy... I wish I'd taken some in-progress shots, but alas! I did not. Basically, I took a long piece of quilt batting, the correct width of the bag I wanted and twice the length. I "sandwiched" this between layers of this lovely fabric I found--blue with silver stars--and sewed around the edges, so I had kind of a thin pillow. Then, I folded it in half and sewed up each side, so the fold became the bottom of the bag.

I then turned it inside out and started on the outside pocket--it's two pieces, wrong side out first as I sewed along three sides, and then turned it inside out and did a zigzag stitch along the fourth side to be the top of the pocket. I left the inside corners at the bottom intentionally a little "squared off", and zigzag stitched it onto the bag:

sewing about 3/4 of the way up and then folding the top part down so it looks all nifty like that Smiley It actually was meant to be a cover over the pocket on which I was going to attach velcro, but I idiotically forgot that it didn't actually cover the pocket--that folded over part is not the "lid", the pocket is behind there xD  I think it looks nice anyway.

Then I wanted an inside pocket, and I just happened to have another fabric that was blue with stars (what can I say, I love it) that was a good size for making a contrasting pocket inside. Not enough fabric to make it lined, but it's worked well enough so far--I zigzag stitched this in as well:

(ignore the batting sticking out there on the left, I hadn't trimmed that yet Grin)

Then the handle! I took a long piece of the quilt batting, measured it to the right length I wanted, and made it about three inches wide. I then took the fabric and cut a strip about the same length, but more like 8 inches wide. I folded it around the batting, overlapping it slightly, and then carefully pinning and sewing more zigzag stitch straight down the middle of it. This was the hardest part to get right, but I think I managed okay. It's secure, and soft when I hold it Smiley

So here is my laptop in its new bag. There's plenty of room around it for me to put my small purse in it too when I run in to work, so when I go out to lunch I can just pull the purse out and go.

"Oh, thank you for making me a lovely soft warm place to sleep!"

I can also fit a water bottle or whatever in it, and then the CDs, external HDD, etc I need for work go in the inside pocket. My phone goes in the outside pocket along with anything else I might need to be able to grab in a hurry.

yay! Sorry for long post! I'm proud of it! (I did eventually trim the batting and excess fabric at the top, and I plan to get some bias tape for the edges, but I haven't found any I like yet...) Anyway, thanks for reading Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

signatures are for nerds Grin
jeanniepep
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011 02:20:56 PM »

GREAT JOB!  Won't it be great to have an absolutely unique laptop bag in a sea of black leather ones?  And when people ask where you found it, you can proudly say that you made it!  Awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mizua

sanity is overrated.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011 05:23:14 AM »

Yes, it's great! That is part of why I wanted to do it Cheesy that and I just love this fabric. Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

signatures are for nerds Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding the Diamond Color
Understanding the Diamond Clarity
Understanding the Diamond Cut
What Are the Four "C"S in Diamonds
Different Shapes in Diamonds
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...