A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I make an afro hairstyle for my cloth dolls?  (Read 2366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lazy.jane
« on: November 29, 2010 09:46:38 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have made a few cloth dolls recently and I just use wool for the hair which I stitch on. It turns out very nicely and I'm quite happy with it, but I have an idea for a doll that I want to make with an afro hairstyle and I wasn't sure if I could achieve this with wool.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use to make afro doll hair...or is there something that I could do to regular wool to change its texture so that it was suitable? I'm thinking along the lines of a 'Foxy Cleopatra' from Austin Powers style, so if anyone had any suggestions then I'd be really grateful.

Thank you so much,

Lesley xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tailte
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010 03:34:51 PM »

Hmm... I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. This doll has sort of an afro alreadyhttp://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=303970.0  The hair is made with yarn, and I think you could make it like that and then tease or backcomb the yarn into a more of a fluffy afro type thing. This is the way I did her hair: First I separated the yarn into single strands and then cut it to the length I wanted, I got about three or four strands and folded them in half and tied a knot. I made lots of these and then glued them all over the head (so the hair is really thick). This takes a heck of a long time. I don't know if any of that made sense as it's hard to describe without pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://overaway.blogspot.com
It's about art, craft and other miscellaneous occurrences.

My cooking blog: http://meri-somethingsweet.blogspot.com
elottino
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010 09:04:15 AM »

You could use wool roving and needle felt it into a cloth head.  It is pretty secure, but would come out if pulled hard enough.  I was trying to do spikes for a doll, and came up with this afro instead.  I then pulled it all out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shadesofme
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010 12:46:11 AM »

If you don't have wool roving, a similar style can be made by brushing yarn to a fluff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
howprettyful
How prettyful!

La di da....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011 07:40:06 PM »

Hairspray!!  Wink

lol jk

Perhaps u could try pulling the hair out outta those troll dolls? Depending on how big it is, though...U probably wouldnt wanna waste ur money on allllll those trolls...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lazy.jane
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011 02:49:08 AM »

Great ideas everyone, thank you so much for replying!
I have some felting needles but have never used them before - does the stuffing have to be of a certain type before it will 'catch'?
I also have a load of black wool so I will go to work on that today...I predict I will be covered in fluff before the day is out!
If it works out I'll be sure to post some pictures.
Thank you again xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elottino
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011 12:52:12 PM »

When I've needle felted hair, it catches to the fabric, not the stuffing inside.  That's why it's not the most permanent solution.  Hopefully you like the results and definitely post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to barbeque with plank
How to Make Fresh Dill Potato Salad
Make Potato Salad with Bacon & Mustard Vinaigrette
Learn About Hawaii Regional Cuisine
How to Make ZipSauce Seafood
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...