A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Wanna Mosaic!  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2005 12:46:15 PM »

Hey everyone!

Every summer I try something new. This summer, I REALLY want to make mosiacs. All this started when I went on a trip to a glass-blowing factory and I saw some mosic house numbers. They were beautiful... and I wanted to make stuff like it. (see pictures below) Also, I've been watching shows, and I looked at EVERY thread about mosaics on here. I've also looked at a few books. Well, all that research didn't do much except inspire me. I know I need tile nippers, a glass scoring tool, glue, and grout. Well, the last two confuse me the most. Every show/book/etc. shows a different type of grout. I know there are people on here who make mosiacs... can you help me? Another thing is that I don't want to spend TOO much on this. Here is one of the numbers I talked about earlier. It basically sums up the type of mosaicing (is that a word? lol) I want to do. There are ceramic tiles, glass, beads, shells, and really unique bits in there.

to those of you who were too lazy to read all of that: I didn't make the above craft!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 07:06:35 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyols
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005 03:27:43 AM »

Candycanechild,
You should try the www.plaidonline.com website for some of your basic mosaic tools, grout, and stones/glass/and colored ceramic tiles.  At the moment alot of their things are on closeout and would be cheaper than in any store you could find.  There is a container of 100 pieces of ceramic tiles and glass pieces on the site right now for only $2.95!  They have adhesive, grout, and grout sealer that works great. Also, they have great products you can make your own surfaces to mosaic on.  They have a product called Faster Plaster which you mix and pour and can make trivets, stepping stones, frames, and small boxes.  I have used their products to mosaic for almost 10 years and they have a selection that a creative person can make many projects. 
Good luck and let me know what you think,
Holli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005 09:55:13 AM »

You can get Weldbond glue and a box of sanded grout at hardware stores. (call first...)
Personally, I use Weldbond for practically everything, it's my favorite glue. Anything that goes outdoors I use grout sealer on, too.

http://www.mosaic-witsend.com has info under Links & Tips on surfaces, grout, adhesives, etc.  Ebay has a big mosaic supply section, too.

Have fun, be safe, and post pictures! I love mosaic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sinjinsweet
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005 07:02:12 PM »

I just started mosaics too.  I don't know if you're interested in books but there's a book by Georrge Shannon and Pat Torlen called "Marvelous Mosaics" and its been really helpful to me.  I saw a yardsale in the paper where the women was selling of all her stained glass supplies and I picked up nippers, grozers etc.  But the best thing was these boxes of scrap glass-tons of it- for $2.00  Opaque glass looks great in mosaics! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005 12:01:08 PM »

Philly has amazing mosaics all around town--whole buildings covered in tiles and mirrors and such.  The artist who does them offers classes and I think once you've taken one you can work in his workshop any time.  Check out his website.  The pics hardly do his work justice, but they're inspiring nonetheless.

http://www.isaiahzagar.org/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
goteamkitty
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005 03:15:16 PM »

I saw Laurel True on HGTV's Crafters Coast to Coast, and I've never been more inspired!  There are several stores that offer classes, and great websites that offer kits.  Mosaicartsupply.com is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Five Visual Draws
Doug Jaeger on How Photography Passion Plays Into Creative Career
OneMore
PlayItAgain
GlassGirl
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...