A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 123
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Hoopla R4 - Diptych Round!! (SU CLOSED, SO 3/21/11)  (Read 89739 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erica_tattoos
« Reply #450 on: February 14, 2011 09:52:12 PM »

yay! completed the basic image for my first hoop. all it lacks is the embellishments!

i have a hard time getting my hands on hoops too.... living way out in the sticks means the nearest craft store is two hours away, and walmart doesn't even carry hoops here! i have one each of several sizes in the pricier hoops which i actually do my stitching in... then i transfer the project over to the lil 75 cent hoops when i'm done. they're not terribly pretty to start off with, but then i usually decorate them to compliment whatever they're holding. it only takes a couple minutes to wrap a hoop in matching fabric, or give it a quick wash in an acrylic or deeper colored stain...

i, too, cruise the local thrifts and 2nd hand shops for tacky old xstitches n whatnot i can reclaim hoops from. you'd also be amazed at what you can find on ebay. sometimes large lots of pretty decent vintage hoops in a lot of sizes, usually averaging out somewhere between $1 -$3 pr hoop, depending on what's there... and then of course there's amazon... not a huge selection direct from amazon, but they've got the basics for cheap and if you order $25+ worth of goodies you get the free shipping....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #451 on: February 15, 2011 04:24:25 AM »

I can get hoops quite afordably at Hobbycraft (our UK equivalent of JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby I guess) however when comparing them to hoops I've had since I was a child which my dad used to stitch with, they're not quite as good quality - the wood is unsanded and doesn't have the rounded edges, but they are at least round!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZidishaLuxe
« Reply #452 on: February 15, 2011 06:32:15 AM »

as erica said, I pretty much use ebay for everything. just the other day I bought a lot of 22 assorted hoops for ten dollars. love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bexieboo
« Reply #453 on: February 15, 2011 07:46:59 AM »

Hi everyone, sorry not to be posting much, my internet access has been patchy for the last couple of weeks. I'm moving house next week, so I'll be able to start posting regularly again then. I'm really excited to start stitching for MrsKat, I think I have the perfect idea! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Robinpich

What an honor to be a "Best of" winner.........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #454 on: February 15, 2011 08:09:46 AM »

regarding hoops:  if you have a Hancock Fabric store near you, their hoops are better quality than Hobby Lobby or Joann.  They are a tad pricier but not much.  Maybe 1.99 vs .99, so not much.  I get alot of hoops at thrift stores also.  Usually they have a fabric panel in them with lace glued all around, like we all used to do in the 80's LOL.  After you strip all the old stuff out, sometimes, there's hot glue still stuck but it peels off fairly easily and once you have your new stitching mounted, it's good as new.

I have my ideas for bsonlytoots in my brain...I hope I can execute to fabric with floss.......we shall see, LOL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
savage pixie

will sew for shoes

« Reply #455 on: February 15, 2011 08:47:59 AM »

I've got a few ideas, but nothing solid that makes me think "she's going to love this!" yet, so I'll keep stalking. My schedule is kind of wacky this week so I probably won't get to start until this weekend or next week. But I'll do my research in the meantime.

I have a massive backstock of hoops, so I just have to figure out what size/shape to use once I pick the designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #456 on: February 15, 2011 09:21:34 AM »

Okay, I think I picked a design... wait, maybe I like the other idea better...no I like the first one. Ughhhh I can't decide!!

I have visitors in town the next two weekends so I really want to try to get started this week since I know I'll be short on crafting time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!
I'm giving away doggy bow ties on my my blog! Check it out here!
PaleAngelLex
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: February 15, 2011 09:27:02 AM »

I have my fabric and thread picked out for my first hoop. I know what I'm doing for the second one, but don't have the right fabric. I do have hoops though. It took me a while to find round ones. My boyfriend used the time to sort the thread correctly. He's so cute when he's OCD. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #458 on: February 15, 2011 09:30:22 AM »

I'm set! I know exactly what I'm doing for Robinpich and I have everything on hand! I am now hoping that whats in my head comes out on the fabric!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #459 on: February 15, 2011 09:37:32 AM »

I'm set! I know exactly what I'm doing for Robinpich and I have everything on hand! I am now hoping that whats in my head comes out on the fabric!! Cheesy
Ditto...I will not be able to find a pattern for what I want to do so I will have to freehand with some help from a back light box and see what happens Smiley I am so excited at what this could look like LOL..Or not..but will have the time to do something else if this is a flop..Not putting off until the last few days that is for sure Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 123 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marsha Bemko Talks About Antiques Roadshow
Meet Author Kamal Saleem
Corinne Smith and Lisa Strick Talk About Learning Disabilities: A to Z
A. J. Jacobs Talks About Books
Kamran Pasha Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...