A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cutting machine comparison?  (Read 1786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« on: January 28, 2011 10:41:38 AM »

Can someone compare for me the various Cricut models?  (Also, what price point should I look for them at?)  And/or tell me what is better about Cricut vs. Silhouette, or vice versa?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011 02:34:03 AM »

Here's a great chart with the different comparisons on the machines:

http://www.paperthreads.com/bonus/paperthreads_machine_compare_112008.html

This is a kind of hard question to answer because there is a lot of information on these cutters. It really helps to be specific on what you need.

Nowadays you need to treat die cutters as if you were buying a sewing machine. The information, differences and price points on these cutters are that vast.

If you type in my screen name you can find several posts on my comparisons and what these machines do. I also have some very long detailed posts over at SCS. Same screen name.

Also the Cricut MB is a wealth of info too. There are a couple of Craftster girls that post over there including me.

This is going to be really long. Sorry everyone. Drink time.

The three Cricuts are: Personal, Create & Expressions. There is also a fourth called the Imagine. Imagine is the Print & Cut machine from ProvoCraft. You have to use the cartridges with the Imagine. There is no third party software support and probably will never be at this time. I almost forgot we have the Cricut Cake and Mini Cake machines too. I will give you specs on the three most popular.

Personal- Known lovingly as the baby Cricut was the first version. No frills basic bare bones Cricut that cuts at 6x12. This machine is being phased out.

Create- Has half the features of the Expressions. Also cuts at 6x12.

Expressions- Has several features such as fill the page, center point, landscape, portrait, multi-cut etc.. Cuts to lengths of 12x24. Most popular cutting size is 12x12.

You asked about the Silhouette. I do have one. Graphtec machines were my first die cutters starting with the Wishblade.

Silhouette- Is a lightweight cutter at under 300 grams per pressure. You will only be able to cut lighter materials as seen in the above chart. It does have the three dot registration which makes for accurate Print & Cut.

It is more accurate than the Print & Cuts done on the Cricut's with third party software. This is because of the laser registration. The Cricut Print & Cuts uses a hinge method so there is always a bit of an offset.

Also the Silhouette does work on Mac, Linux and Windows. Silhouette can cut from all the vector drawing programs such as Inkscape, Illustrator & Corel Draw. You will need the Silhouette software for Print & Cut. The new Silhouette Studio is amazing. I really enjoy using it.

Silhouette does have a more accurate cutting formula than the Cricut. This is because of the motor. Also it uses different mathematical formulations.

One of the scrap queens Kristina Werner has a comparison right here: http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=2841

As you can see it's a big difference.

These are the price points of these machines.

Over at the Cricut board none of us are willing to pay more than:

$250 for an Expressions
$100 for a Baby Bug or Create
$20 for cartridges

Silhouette runs deals quite frequently. I saw a deal over at 2Peas forum for $159. You will usually pay around $250 for this machine.

The blades & mats are very expensive for the Silhouette. You can't just run out and get them at your local craft store like the Cricut. They need to be ordered. Blades run around $20. Mats are the same amount. Don't faint yet, lol.

The blades last a long time. I have had my blade for over a year now. It's still strong. I used my Wishblade blade for over three years. If you take proper care of them. New mats can be made with quilting template or plastic chopping mats.

Like I said there is a lot of info on these machines, lol. I only covered 1%.

Which is the better machine? That is a hard question to answer. It all depends on your needs. I do frequent Print & Cut so I love my Silhouette. Cricut, I love it for the cartridges. I have a BossKut Gazelle and she is my main cutter for my designs, heavier materials and mixed media work.

I know I wrote a book. I do want to add one point. If you are looking to buy the Cricut only to use it with MTC, SCAL or FairyCut then please reconsider. I have highly recommended the Cricut in the past. I want to say this. The Cricut is a cartridge based machine. It is a mid-level machine. There are other cutter's on the market that are better for your own design work and downloading SVG's. You won't pay much more and have higher quality.

I hope I helped you a little.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011 02:42:34 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
A2JC4life
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011 07:33:53 AM »

Thanks!  So one more specific question: there is not any real difference in the media the Cricut machines can cut?  But they can all cut thicker media than the Silhouette?  (Am I "hearing" that correctly?)

I definitely do not want to buy a machine based on cartridges, because I'm not interested in the ongoing investment.  (In fact, the Cricut wasn't even on my radar, for this reason, until about a week ago, when I learned about the third-party software.  I was strictly considering the Silhouette.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011 03:19:55 AM »

Silhouette will not be able to cut heavier material such as foam, balsa wood, felt, etc... It's pressure is around 230-280 grams.

Cricut runs around 400 grams per pressure. You can cut thin foam, very thin balsa wood and certain kinds of felt. You also can cut cereal box chipboard. All these materials do need the multi-pass cut or a deep cut blade.

Higher End machines such as the Cougar, Klik-n-Kut, BossKut Gazelle, Pazzles run around 500-950 on their standard machines. They do go higher but then we are talking about higher amounts like in the thousands of dollars. Most home users don't need that kind of power cutter.

All the above machines can cut heavy materials with no problems. Most of us cutter aficionado's have the higher end machines just for this purpose.

The Silhouette is a wonderful machine. It is a great pick. You can cut vinyl. The Graphtec machines were made for vinyl. The Silhouette is a Graphtec machine. You can cut thin fabric that has fusible interface on it. You can cut Bazzil card stock. Some girls have reported success cutting Stampin Up cardstock.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
A2JC4life
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011 07:29:54 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Watercolor Painting
How to Stretch Paper in Watercolor Painting
Sanctum Cast Interviews
How to Draw a Football
How to Sketch Chibi Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...