A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple AND sparkly? What more does a girl need? :D  (Read 1350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bongmistress

Magpie Moments

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2011 01:47:18 PM »

I made this with a good friend in mind. Pretty much everything she owns is purple, so obviously she wanted me to make her a candle holder to match the rest of her home  Grin

It actually looks much more purple when lit in real life, but I can't for the life of me get my camera to take a true to life picture! Mind you, I think that picture is still pretty groovy  Cheesy

This was my first time making a mosaic cane using pearlescent clay for 'grout' and I love how it turned out! The whole piece has a really subtle sparkle to it, just enough glitz to hold your attention when it catches the light, but not so glittery it's gaudy  Smiley

I also worked a jellyroll into the mosaic as I thought it would make an interesting focal point. I like how it looks but might try something slightly different next time.

Here's a slightly more accurate shot of the colours you get when there is a lit candle inside, still not entirely true to life but not as neon pink as some of the shots I got!

As always, please comment or critique as you wish  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50% off everything until June 13th: http://www.etsy.com/shop/EmilyMagpieMoments

Bloggy ramblings: http://emilymagpie.wordpress.com
DeathToLems
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 02:09:35 PM »

that is a pretty candle holder. very nicely done. i like the spiral patterns
i wonder though. is polymer clay the same as that femo stuff?
how did you do this? make the shapes, cut them out, stuck them on and put them in the oven?
if so i must give this a try! i have so much femo and nothing to do with it.
this gives me an idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011 03:57:46 PM »

Those (the purple one and the one on your avatar) are really neat! I have some hurricane lamps that could use some pizazz. Coolness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PersnicketyGnome
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011 04:39:38 PM »

Thats really pretty! How did you get the clay to stcik to the candle holder?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bongmistress

Magpie Moments

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011 04:17:01 AM »

that is a pretty candle holder. very nicely done. i like the spiral patterns
i wonder though. is polymer clay the same as that femo stuff?
how did you do this? make the shapes, cut them out, stuck them on and put them in the oven?
if so i must give this a try! i have so much femo and nothing to do with it.
this gives me an idea

Glad you like it, my friend (who received it yesterday) is over the moon so I must have done something right! That's right, Fimo is a brand of polymer clay  Smiley You can use it to cover pretty much anything that you can safely put in the oven  Grin Often a 'cane' is created and tiny slices of this design are applied to the surface of whatever you want to cover. I must warn you, this is highly addictive so it's a good job you have all that clay!  Cheesy

Those (the purple one and the one on your avatar) are really neat! I have some hurricane lamps that could use some pizazz. Coolness!

Thanks so much  Cheesy Ooo hurricane lamps would be so pretty, if you give this I try I hope you'll share the results  Grin

Thats really pretty! How did you get the clay to stcik to the candle holder?

Thank you! I didn't use anything to get the clay to stick, clay bonds to the glass really really well without any help, although I'm sure a layer of liquid clay would make the bond extra strong  Smiley

There's a slightly more in depth (and rambling!) explanation of the process I use in my blog if you feel like trying this for yourself Cheesy Please share if you do try, I'd love to see what you wonderful Craftsters come up with  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ToniOboe
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011 09:19:31 PM »

I really love how smooth everything is.  I recently covered my first candle holder, but it is REALLY ugly, and I have been put off of covering anything.  I had a hard time smoothing out my cane slices and making everything really even like yours is.  Would you mind sharing some tips or maybe posting a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bongmistress

Magpie Moments

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011 03:21:25 PM »

Sorry it's taken me such a long time to reply, ToniOboe - I've been on a kind of enforced craft hiatus for a while so I've had to avoid Craftster to help me resist the temptation to craft!  Roll Eyes

I might put a tute together if there's the demand for one  Smiley in the meantime there's a bit of a walk through of the techniques I use in more detail on my blog  Grin

I use a few different tricks to keep my pieces looking smooth. First of all is a light touch! I always handle pieces very carefully so as not to distort things too much, I often brace my fingers against the inside of the candle holder to avoid touching the clay and smooshing it. I also find wearing surgical gloves minimises the amount of fingerprints left on the final product although I find it quite difficult to find gloves that fit my stubby fingers well enough! Finally I gently roll the finished piece on a clean ceramic tile until I'm happy with how it looks.

All kinds of things could be affecting your results, for example if you're using a particularly sticky brand of clay or the clay is very warm then it will be difficult to achieve a smooth result. It could just be a matter of trial and error. Either way I hope you keep trying and enjoy the journey!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Looks to Heat Up Your Super Bowl
Top 5 Ways to Fix Static Cling
Sarah Jessica Parker Shows Off Her New Shoe Line for Nordstrom
Angel Sanchez Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
Which Country Has the Best Olympic Uniforms This Year?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...