A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bubblegum Cake, Coal Hearts, Naked Waffles, Peppermints, & Roses... Oh my!  (Read 8277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monsterkookies
Monster Kookies

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2011 10:32:37 AM »

Hello there!

It's been a little while since I last posted, and I wanted to show you what I have been up to lately! I've been working on quite a variety of stuff, actually. All polymer clay, but all of them are sort of different from eachother.

I got inspired by this big bowl of gum I saw at the candy store, and then started thinking of the gum I used to eat as a kid. I remember buying 10 cent gum packs with five colourful gumballs (called Rain-Blo) and those pink Bazooka Joe gums that you could get for 5 cents. I had never seen a "Bubblegum Cake" before, so I sought out to make it!

It's got bubblegum pink cake layers, bubblegum blue frosting, lots of Rain-Blo gumballs, a dollop of whipped cream, and it is topped off with a piece of Bazooka Joe gum. I have to admit - the colour I used for the pink bubblegum was really fun to work with. It's various pinks and white with translucent. I honestly just wanted to eat it...

I've been making anatomical hearts for awhile now, but wanted to play with some texture. Coal has become one of my new favourite textures - it's really fun! So I created a realistic anatomical heart with the look of coal.

I've read Alice in Wonderland and saw the movies, so I wanted to make one of the white roses in which the cards were painting red. To give it that painted look, I started with a white rose with a few red petals and added some splatter to look like it had been painted quickly. Smiley

These peppermints (or Strawberry Campinos as some people are calling them!) were created using that lentil bead technique, except I tinkered with the technique and the placement of the colours to get an accurate peppermint candy swirl. It was a lot of experimenting at first, but now that I got it down, I think I can do it now. Smiley

Those are bobbypins, but I made stud earrings, cufflinks, and a ring too!

Last but not least - naked waffles. This is a work in progress, actually. For awhile I have been trying to get as realistic of waffle as possible. I think I may be close. The colour is definitely the hardest thing to get down - because of the green background, it almost gives the waffles a green tinge (they really dont). But I think the colour is getting there... you know how when you get those premade frozen waffles and they have that gradient look in there? I used cinnamon mixed into the clay to get that gradient look. All those dots. The colour mixture itself is a mix of translucent, white, cadmium yellow, ecru, and raw sienna. I have no idea of the proportions - I just eyeballed it until it looked right. Smiley

Then I added a little golden brown to give them a toasted look. Any criticism on them? I'll gladly take some. I'm just trying to get them right!

That's it for now... I hope everyone is well. Cheesy

Kimberly

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfabbric
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 10:52:20 AM »

Those are all great. How did you do the cake texture? It's perfect, I want to eat it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monsterkookies
Monster Kookies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011 10:55:13 AM »

Those are all great. How did you do the cake texture? It's perfect, I want to eat it too.

Thank-you! The cake texture is actually pretty simple - it just requires a pin, and that's about it. You just stab and drag and swirl the surface until you get a look that you are happy with. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SMLounsbury
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011 11:35:17 AM »

You are ridiculously talented.  I adore that rose the most.  Everything looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011 12:38:22 PM »

These are absolutely lovely. I wish I was good at texturing clay...my attempts have been less than good so far. The texture is definitely what makes these pieces. Lovely work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bongmistress

Magpie Moments

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011 12:45:39 PM »

These are all so wonderful  Cheesy

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite, they're all just amazing! How did you get that fantastic coal effect??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50% off everything until June 13th: http://www.etsy.com/shop/EmilyMagpieMoments

Bloggy ramblings: http://emilymagpie.wordpress.com
monsterkookies
Monster Kookies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011 01:00:35 PM »

Thanks very much, guys! Cheesy

These are all so wonderful  Cheesy

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite, they're all just amazing! How did you get that fantastic coal effect??

The coal effect is just a LOT of texturing into black clay, mostly. An uneven surface is best to start out with, then you can use things like rough rocks, pins, toothbrushes, toothpicks, etc... to get all the texture. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bongmistress

Magpie Moments

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011 01:28:30 PM »

That's great to know, monsterkookies - thanks  Cheesy

I've got to say I'm hugely envious of your polymer clay skills  Grin
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011 01:29:07 PM by Bongmistress » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50% off everything until June 13th: http://www.etsy.com/shop/EmilyMagpieMoments

Bloggy ramblings: http://emilymagpie.wordpress.com
monsterkookies
Monster Kookies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011 03:31:15 PM »

That's great to know, monsterkookies - thanks  Cheesy

I've got to say I'm hugely envious of your polymer clay skills  Grin

Well, thank-you very much. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peppersaskatoon
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011 01:26:47 PM »

I know almost nothing about clay, but I can tell you that your waffles made my mouth water a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are These 5 Women the Next Big Style Setters?
5 Great Prom Looks for Any Budget
Fashion Tips And Trends For Busy Moms
Are These New White Jeans Actually Resistant To Stains?
These Festival Outfits Are Everything!
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...