A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: My version of the Mod Record Purse  (Read 126555 times)
Tags for this thread: record_purse , record , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bowlordie
« on: May 28, 2005 09:04:16 AM »

MOD RECORD PURSE

Supplies-

-a hot chick with power tool capability. hehe.
-A Stanley knife or Laminate cutting blade
-Sandpaper
-A square or straight edge
-A Drill
-Hot glue gun
-1 inch paddle bit          
-3/16 inch drill bit
-A couple records
-Fabric
-4 key chain rings

1. Set out a record on your cutting surface.  Cut the record to divide it into 3 different pieces using your  square.  You will need to repeat the cut several times.  Do not force th break, or you will crack the record.

2.  Place the middle piece of record #1 on record #2 (the uncut one).  This helps make sure that   both sides will be even, plus its a lazy way to do it! Hehe.  Its best to have someone hold the middle piece for you while you cut.  Repeat the cuts again and again.  Now, you have 6 pieces of record.  Discard two pieces that are smallest.  You are left with this.....
Sandpaper your cuts until any uneven areas are smooth.
3. Have a friend hold down the two top pieces (the pieces that will soon be handles).  Mark out where you wish to locate the 4  - 1 inch holes for your fingers.  With the Drill in hand and the 1 inch paddle bit apply slow and steady pressure onto the first location.  Going too fast will crack the Vinyl!! slowly drill the other three holes (step 2 on the illustration). Rolling a piece of sand paper around your finger helps to smooth out the holes.  Next, change the bit to the 3/16th. (see illustration below for help) . you will now be drilling the holes that connect the handles to the biggest pieces or body of the bag.  

Take in consideration the size of your key rings.  This will help determine the placement. Make sure you dont get too close to either edge or it will break off the corner.  It took me a lot of trial and error to figure this out. go slow....do the same to the biggest piece of the bag (step 4 on illustration).  Somehow pry those damn key rings open wide enough to connect the pieces together.
You can see how this is coming together now...WOOT! Grin

4. Grab that fabric and get cuttin'! the fabric is in the teal on the illustration.  choose the width that you want the bag to be able to open up to.  Cut two of each piece.  next place the middle or body piece of one of the records on your fabric, trace it and cut out two pieces of that also, for the lining. (step 2 on  illustration shows all of the fabric pieces you should have).

5. bust out the sewing machine and sew together 1 side piece, 1 bottom piece, and another side piece together.  Heat up the hot glue gun and around the outer edge of record 1 apply glue and stick the fabric to it, all the way around.  Do the same to Record 2.  This part is trickier.

6. The liner is the laaaaast step. it's obvious how to assemple it but I drew a picture anyway ..hehe.

Make sure the liner is on the side that doesn't show the seams. hot glue the top of the liner to the inside of the bag.  Hand stich the outside and the inside to get rid of the gap (picture below.)

VOILA! you are FINISHED!  I hope this tutorial was easy enough, but if you get confused you can ask!   Wink

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 07:05:12 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

actoneends

I don't want to be an adult.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005 09:09:54 AM »

<i> how</i> did you do it! i love it!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatjennagirl">Find me on MySpace and be my friend!</a>
danger.kitty
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005 09:19:37 AM »

wow, that's fan-freakin-tastic!  Any pointers on getting it to turn out so well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005 10:17:33 AM »

My hubby the DJ would so love it if I could make one of those...any tute in the future or is it a keeper for yourself?  Hee Hee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bowlordie
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005 02:41:03 PM »

I would be glad to post a tutorial! just give me a few days   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005 05:19:53 PM »

I love it dahling!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005 05:39:20 PM »

That's awesome!!!! I love everyone's take on the record purses Grin I cannot wait for your tutorial! YAY Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
femboost
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005 07:25:11 PM »

that, officially, is the coolest purse in the entire world! i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005 07:44:17 PM »

How NICE!  Wish I was in your swap Sad
I like this version the best, out of all that I have seen thus far... Cheesy
I had just purchased some reallllly old red records, I bet I could make a killer purse from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005 08:36:47 PM »

It's BOOOTIFUL
I esp. <3 the fabric (it is fabric, right?) between the records- it's so mod  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Celia from Harvest Moon
How to Draw Wanda from Fairly Oddparents
How to Draw Timmy Time
How To Draw Tweety
How to Draw A Roadrunner Cartoon
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...