A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 70s-80s ugly chair to bright sunny chair!  (Read 1880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 26, 2011 12:50:26 PM »

Teaser pic!

I have a chair obsession. In the year I have lived in Albuquerque I have bought 5 chairs (oh and a coffee table I'm going to make into a bench and three ottomans that can be sat on) and pulled 4 out of the trash. After we threw out our couch this became my chair but it's soooo ugly!

The other night I just decided to do it, just take the damn thing apart! I didn't realize it was going to be so fun! And I'm serious. I had a lot of fun and I feel accomplished!

This chair was 10 bucks at Goodwill. I couldn't believe that Goodwill would have something so cheap.

So I took out the screwhole plugs on the top cushion. They came out easily enough.

I ended up stripping the screws on the top cushion trying to take them out so I had to buy new ones. No biggie!

Then I broke a few hole plugs that actually didn't need to come off.

I started sanding it... oblivious that there may be lead in the stain and poly over the wood. If you find out I've died, please send money to my husband in hopes he gets over my stupidity! Tongue I did use eyewear and a mask....

I gave up on sanding after an hour. If I were a professional (this is my first time ever doing this!) I probably would've used a paint stripper or something but instead I gave up and decided to just use primer.

I don't have pictures of the upholstery job. To be honest, I'm not a professional so instead of actually taking off the ugly fabric and replacing the foam... I wrapped the seat and back cushion with batting and wrapped the fabric around and stapled the sucker down! I figured it's better because I can always take it apart again to change out the fabric, no prob.

And I decided to try spray paint and I realized something: Spray painting on an apartment porch is a big pain in the ass. Next adventure (like my bench) will be painted with can paint and primer!

Here is the lovely wonderful result! It's nicked a few places and some of the sides didn't get a good coat so you can see some sanded area and let's just be honest, I got plum tuckered out and impatient to fix the problem. Smiley Here it is all done and looking wonderful!

I spent 11 dollars in spray paint, spray primer and 4 replacement screws. I spent 12 bucks on 2 yards of fabric and I think I would've been okay with a yard in a half but I'm gonna use the leftover to make a small pillow for our computer chair or else you get sucked into the indent (but that's another story for another time).

Now I realized our apartment is very dark and drab with all the black and dark brown bookcases and entertainment center and desk. I'm gonna be painting some more I'm sure! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011 12:57:18 PM »

awesome reclaim! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 01:59:56 PM »

That looks really cheerful. I likr the way the sunny fabric lightens the whole thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011 02:53:51 PM »

It looks tons better and very cheery.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scuttlebutt
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011 04:26:21 PM »

Very cool! I've always wanted to redo furniture! I absolutely love the fabric you picked, and the gray!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahhenrystewart
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011 09:09:37 AM »

I usually hate the color yellow, but I would kill for this chair!  It looks soooo cool! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011 01:17:17 PM »

I love the fabric! You did a great job.
I too have a thing for chairs, stools, benches. I don't know what it is about them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Wavy Curls
How to Do Spiral Curls
How to Do Pin Curls
How to Perm Hair
How to Choose a Perm
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...