A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery machine  (Read 2576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

v0mich01
« on: January 26, 2011 11:32:58 AM »

So i would Like an embroidery machine, so i went down to the local machine shop, and there starter version was 1200 for the smallest hoop size. So i went online to mason, and saw that they have great prices for embroidery machines, so i was just wondering if any of you out there have purchased an embroidery machine from amazon,and what you think about it. My current sewing machine is a brother and I really like it but, honestly I'm not partial to any specific brand, as long as it is good. My price rang is probably under $1000. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011 01:46:08 PM »

I got my Singer Futura CE-150 on Amazon for under $600, free shipping.

It's a decent model, well-known for being quirky, definitely a starter model - but I heart the stupid thing. Even when the thread bunches, or when it screws up an embroidery piece for no particular reason I can see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flutter-by
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011 11:32:26 AM »

I don't have any advice on ordering from amazon.  As long as it is a verified type seller (or directly through amazon vs a third party), I wouldn't see any problems with it.

The one thing I would look for is that whatever machine you get can use designs downloaded from the internet.  Some friends have the model down from my machine, and have complete machine envy because I do so much more with mine due to the ease of downloading single designs rather than buying an expensive CD. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011 08:55:43 PM »

The one thing I would look for is that whatever machine you get can use designs downloaded from the internet. 

Yes! A thousand times, yes! That's one of the main reasons why I got the Futura - it reads a really wide range of embroidery files, which you transfer to it with your computer. No specialized cards, CDs, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FrolicPatch

Because every girl needs something to Frolic in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011 07:57:38 PM »

Just as an FYI: I just recently bought my first embroidery machine, and spent under $500. I did a TON of homework first, and determined a couple of things:

1) You will definitely pay much less if you purchase an embroidery machine online, however you will receive little to no support in terms of learning how to use the machine if you do so. The small specialty shops are not eager to teach or service customers who buy their brands online, instead of from them. Depending on how independent of a learner you are, that might be significant.

2) From all sources that I have investigated, Brother is hands-down the easiest to learn independently. The price ranges are really fair, and my own experience with my SE 400 so far is great.

3) Brother, however, is a Chinese company, and good luck getting any support whatsoever. Though they did rate top notch for user-friendly, they did ~not~ rate well for customer service.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions that you'd like to ask!

-Jennifer
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011 05:48:58 AM by Aislynn - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster rules. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FrolicPatch.etsy.com
Handmade, original designs for girls.
"Because every girl needs something to Frolic in!"
Dawl
Have glue gun, will travel !

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011 06:59:29 AM »

I have two brother emb machines. One is the PE-770 and the other is a sewing/emb combo machine.

LOVE THEM BOTH !!

Bought online and spent way less than I would have at the dealer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homeonline
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011 05:43:36 PM »

I still don't know how to use that machine. Cry
When I do some stitches specially satin stitch, it takes time for me to finish even a very simple design.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dw7178
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011 06:30:20 PM »

I purchased a brother se-400 about 4 months ago.  I really like it.  It does a pretty good job (took a little while to figure every thing out)  Just wish the hoop size was bigger, it is a 4x4.  I gave around 400.00 dollars for it from walmart.  I am very pleased with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MandaRenee
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011 09:45:32 PM »

Are there any machines that have a 5x7 hoop that do sewing and embroidery that aren't $1000plus?  I love the PE770 but I need one machine that does both sewing and embroidery. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a swap!

http://rusticremnants.blogspot.com/
Dawl
Have glue gun, will travel !

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011 05:24:11 AM »

I know there are machines that do 5x7 and are combo, but yes, those are up and over 1,000 by a lot Sad

Is there a reason you need one that does both ? Because honestly you can stay under 1,000 and get a nice sewing machine and a PE770 ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Young Noni Carter Talks About Her Novel: Good Fortune
D.J. MacHale Discusses His Series Pendragon
Philippa Gregory on Her Book the White Queen
Get to Know Author Bob Dugoni
Philippa Gregory: Story Behind the White Queen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...