A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 30th Anniversary Luau (Pic heavy)  (Read 728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilak Tygress
« on: January 26, 2011 10:30:54 AM »

For my MIL & FIL 30th anniversary this year, we through them with  a surprise luau.  They were going to go to Hawaii to celebrate, but with the crappy economy and all they just couldn't afford it.   My SIL & BIL hosted at their home, and I decorated the cakes.  We had mango bread, banana bread, homemade pita chips, dip, veggies and of course plenty of fresh fruit.  You can't have a luau without pina coladas, and luckily we had a private bartender (SIL's b/f).  Most of the decorations were sent by their friends who live in Hawaii and were unable to attend.  I think they were very surprised and had a great time too Smiley And now for the pics:

The invitation fanned out.  The top is a velum hibiscus flower, followed by a pic of the couple (in Hawaii) and the party info follows.

My FIL is diabetic (as were quitea few guests I found out) so everything was made in "regular" and "sugar-free"

The cakes were red velvet, sugar free banana, and zucchini rum.  I made the flowers along the bottoms out of gum paste (as well as the arc on the blue cake, and the shells), and colored them with decorating markers.  (Hint here: The red turns dark after a few days and looks like old blood)  I had originally made marshmallow fondant for all 3, but the orange and green cakes didn't make the transport across the mountains, so I scraped off the fondant and just colored frosting.  The blue held up though Smiley

A few other decoration shots

Oh ya, and I made hair clips.  I just got silk orchids from Michaels, and colored the middle with a sharpie, then dropped a little rubbing alcohol in the middle to make it bleed.  Here's mine:

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hipmama1970
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011 11:37:51 AM »

Oh Lilak Tygress, I love it! What a sweet and thoughtful gift. I love all the little touches. The invitations and hair clips, and the decorations! Ooh, and the food! And the EVERYTHING!!!! This is so wonderful, I bet they had the best time Smiley

When my 30th anniversary comes around, I'll have to give you a call. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 11:52:35 AM »

So much attention to detail, it looks like a great party.
I wouldn't have known about the green and orange cakes if you hadn't said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perfectly Pretty Lace Pancakes Recipe
How to Make Baked Bull’s-Eye Eggs
Nine-Year-Old Chef Whips Up The Perfect Omelet
Turkey Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Recipe
Mother’s Day Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...