A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 30th Anniversary Luau (Pic heavy)  (Read 779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilak Tygress
« on: January 26, 2011 10:30:54 AM »

For my MIL & FIL 30th anniversary this year, we through them with  a surprise luau.  They were going to go to Hawaii to celebrate, but with the crappy economy and all they just couldn't afford it.   My SIL & BIL hosted at their home, and I decorated the cakes.  We had mango bread, banana bread, homemade pita chips, dip, veggies and of course plenty of fresh fruit.  You can't have a luau without pina coladas, and luckily we had a private bartender (SIL's b/f).  Most of the decorations were sent by their friends who live in Hawaii and were unable to attend.  I think they were very surprised and had a great time too Smiley And now for the pics:

The invitation fanned out.  The top is a velum hibiscus flower, followed by a pic of the couple (in Hawaii) and the party info follows.

My FIL is diabetic (as were quitea few guests I found out) so everything was made in "regular" and "sugar-free"

The cakes were red velvet, sugar free banana, and zucchini rum.  I made the flowers along the bottoms out of gum paste (as well as the arc on the blue cake, and the shells), and colored them with decorating markers.  (Hint here: The red turns dark after a few days and looks like old blood)  I had originally made marshmallow fondant for all 3, but the orange and green cakes didn't make the transport across the mountains, so I scraped off the fondant and just colored frosting.  The blue held up though Smiley

A few other decoration shots

Oh ya, and I made hair clips.  I just got silk orchids from Michaels, and colored the middle with a sharpie, then dropped a little rubbing alcohol in the middle to make it bleed.  Here's mine:

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hipmama1970
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011 11:37:51 AM »

Oh Lilak Tygress, I love it! What a sweet and thoughtful gift. I love all the little touches. The invitations and hair clips, and the decorations! Ooh, and the food! And the EVERYTHING!!!! This is so wonderful, I bet they had the best time Smiley

When my 30th anniversary comes around, I'll have to give you a call. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 11:52:35 AM »

So much attention to detail, it looks like a great party.
I wouldn't have known about the green and orange cakes if you hadn't said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 4
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 3
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 2
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 1
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...