A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for "manly" crafting projects  (Read 2241 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alphascorpii

Oh, what to do next ...

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011 10:24:48 AM »

Hey fellow Craftsters, I need you help. Badly!  Undecided

So, here's the thing: the husbands birthday's coming up. He's a crafty guy but sometimes at a loss when trying to think of actual projects to do, so I thought I'd give him a craft book, full of great crafting ideas. HOWEVER, the (German) craft book market doesn't seem to be prepared for such an outlandish topic as crafting men. All there is to find is beads, sewing, knitting, interior decorating, scrapbooking and tilda, tilda tilda ... It seems when men want to get crafty they basically have the choice between model making (think aircraft carriers and double deckers), carpenty and general home improvement (insulating roofs and changing flow heaters), none of which is especially appealing to my dear man.

So, being a crafter myself I thought "Well if such a book can't be bought, I'll make him one myself!" ... and now I realise why such books are so hard to come by: It's really hard to think of manly crafting projects!

So, as usual, I turn to you, fellow craftsters  Smiley

Help me out of my misery! I am looking for crafting ideas that mainly suit the following requirements:

• Apartment-compatible: birdhouse not rowboat
  • Low tool usage: dremel not buzz saw
  • Manly: ... I don't know, what's manly anyway? Useful not decorative?  Elegant not cute? Wood not beads? Oh I don't know ...

I'd be most grateful for any ideas you can contribute! I promise that, in return, all projects will find their way to craftster  Wink

Here are, for illustration, a few of the things I got so far: the inevitable spice rack  Wink, a bird bath for our balcony, a storm lamp made from a terracotta flower pot, wooden buttons, picture frames, little signs to put into our herb garden, a key holder, a mini greenhouse and a vase made from a light bulb.

Best,
alphascorpii
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011 12:16:00 PM by alphascorpii » THIS ROCKS   Logged
peihan17
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011 11:04:07 AM »

Why can't sewing/knitting/crocheting be manly?  Beading I get, but he could sew himself a tie, a bag to put manly things in, or a manly pillowcase Smiley  He could learn to knit/crochet and make himself a hat or a scarf.  Or learn any craft and make gifts for other people!

Even embroidery and cross stitch can be very manly if you do it right- see craftster's own Mr X Stitch:
http://www.craftster.org/blog/category/guest-bloggers/mr-x-stitch/

A romantic or nostalgic fella could make a scrapbook of his relationship or kids or pets...

Hope that helps!  I like the idea of putting together a craft book for him Smiley  Let us know how it goes!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
alphascorpii

Oh, what to do next ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 11:41:24 AM »

Peihan

Why can't sewing/knitting/crocheting be manly?  Beading I get, but he could sew himself a tie, a bag to put manly things in, or a manly pillowcase Smiley  He could learn to knit/crochet and make himself a hat or a scarf.  Or learn any craft and make gifts for other people!

Even embroidery and cross stitch can be very manly if you do it right- see craftster's own Mr X Stitch:
http://www.craftster.org/blog/category/guest-bloggers/mr-x-stitch/

A romantic or nostalgic fella could make a scrapbook of his relationship or kids or pets...

Hope that helps!  I like the idea of putting together a craft book for him Smiley  Let us know how it goes!

I know there are men who are in all kinds of crafts, usually considered "womanly", I am also on ravelry, and there are quite some guys there who do really great stuff! Jared Flood comes to mind, Patrick Hassel-Zein, MMario ... I also really dig Kurt A. Bernecker and of course the ever-inspiring Kaffe Fassett, but unfortunately my own man is rather into typical "manly" stuff. That's what my problem is all about! Believe me, if showed any inclination towards anything yarn-based I'd happily shower him with yarns, needles, stitch-markers, patterns and whatnot!

Unfortunately he doesn't and so I am left having to come up with "The illustrated guide to 100 things to do with a two-by-four".  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peihan17
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011 12:22:52 PM »

Hmm, that's harder.  What about stenciling t-shirts?  Instant gratification and pretty cheap.  Or um, whittling Smiley  Sorry, that's all I could think of off the top of my head, but I'll keep you in mind!

I'm sure we can come up with something  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
alphascorpii

Oh, what to do next ...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011 12:29:33 PM »

Hmm, that's harder.  What about stenciling t-shirts?  Instant gratification and pretty cheap.  Or um, whittling Smiley  Sorry, that's all I could think of off the top of my head, but I'll keep you in mind!

I'm sure we can come up with something  Wink

Oooooh! Stencilling is a great idea!! I'll definitely add that to the list. Great! Hm, maybe he'd also like making stamps. He could use his dremel - which is always a pro Wink - and I am pretty sure we'd find some motives that he likes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011 12:02:42 PM »

Woodcarving, either decorative stuff or decorating utilitarian stuff, is manly.  Poly clay isn't traditionally manly, but what man doesn't like grown-up play-do?  Which is essentially what polyclay is.  Glass etching is surprisingly cheap and lots of fun.  And, ironically enough, book binding and making paper are terrific, fun crafts for both genders!  And he could make his own tools for both (at least some of them) so it's extra crafty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Dragon-lu-ver
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011 04:11:26 AM »

I second the bookbinding, I'm just getting into it myself. It does require a book press and a sewing frame if you want to get professional about it, but neither are too large or too expensive to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelleBeryl
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011 08:00:05 AM »

woodwork , metalwork and making things from clay
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arcady
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011 12:12:15 PM »

leatherwork is a good one for guys. my boy's recently gotten into making wristcuffs and such, the materials are pretty easy to get hold of Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011 09:08:01 PM »

i suggest leatherwork as well, possibly combined with chainmail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Make It Easy: DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Egg-Stra Ideas for Easter
Clay Floral Wreath Tutorial
Recycled Fabric Clutch DIY Project
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...