A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Washing wool?  (Read 366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

baileemartini
« on: January 25, 2011 07:39:50 PM »

I made my son a coat out of what I think is a wool blend, and it is lined in cotton. He recently spilled milk all over it, and I had to wipe him down with paper napkins, which left fuzz all over it. So, I am not sure how to go about washing it. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cbeeson
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011 11:13:33 AM »

I would recommend you take it to a cleaners.  Short of that, get one of the Tide pens and try using it (place a cloth or napkin under the stain when you use the pen so it doesn't soak to the other side) and dab with cold water.  If you are really wanting to "wash" it, I would put it on your shortest, gentlest washing cycle, only cold water, then hang it to dry.  Wool shrinks which is why it is never recommended to wash or dry fabric with wool. 
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baileemartini
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 11:48:08 AM »

after working with some material i know is 100% wool yesterday, i am pretty sure this is a 50/50 wool/poly blend, so if i wash it on cold, gentle, quick cycle, and hang to dry, i think it will be fine. hopefully the napkin fuzz comes off...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011 01:49:35 PM »

I think you're on track with the washing in cold and hanging to dry.  If you're worried at all about the agitation of the washer, you could always wash by hand.  You might try Woolite, or something similar, too.  If that doesn't get the napkin fuzzies off, you could always try one of those sweater shaver things.  If you don't have one, you can get one pretty cheaply, and they work on fabrics besides knits just fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
baileemartini
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011 02:36:36 PM »

I think you're on track with the washing in cold and hanging to dry.  If you're worried at all about the agitation of the washer, you could always wash by hand.  You might try Woolite, or something similar, too.  If that doesn't get the napkin fuzzies off, you could always try one of those sweater shaver things.  If you don't have one, you can get one pretty cheaply, and they work on fabrics besides knits just fine!

yeah, i thought about a sweater shaver, i have another wool coat that could use it too. i am washing it now, if the fuzzies arent off i will buy the shaver. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thin Fluffy Yarn Knitting Tip
Three Zigzag Stitched Crocheted Chevron Patterns
What You Can Do with Yoyo Crochet Patterns
Loom Knitting Tips
Lining Up Catherine Wheel Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...