A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,521
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn & needle recommendations  (Read 547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss_katonic
« on: May 28, 2005 07:20:13 AM »

Just trying to get some recommendations for good yarn/needle combos for beginners.  I'm still learning and have been using an 8/H hook.  I'm not sure what type of yarn I'm  using because it's from the local thrift store.  Anyway, I'm running in to a problem. I make the chain stitch, work into that with the first row of single stitch and then the stitches seem so tight its almost impossible to work into the second row. (Hope I'm explaing this clearly I'm still shaky on all of the terminology.  I'm wondering if my needle is too big, my yarn's too small or I'm just doing something wrong.  Any words of advice would be appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005 07:28:54 AM »

Normally I'd recommend a size 5 or 5.5 hook with cheap Red Heart yarn.  It sounds like you're pulling wayyy tooo tight on your yarn when you're working the chain stitches. Loosen up the yarn feeding into the work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroluci
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005 01:21:29 PM »

I second the idea of using cheap worsted weight yarn, and don't use anything that looks like its got alot of texture, that may make learning difficult.  When I was learning to crochet I found that a multicolored yarn helped out alot because it makes all the stitches look different and easier to see.

Good luck and I'm sure soon you will be hooking with the best of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005 05:40:26 PM »

I wonder too if you are using rug yarn. It is thicker than the Red Heart the others suggested. But it does sound if you are making your stitches too tight.

Pull the loop tight on the thickest part of the hook and then when you go to make the stitch try not to pull the yarn any tighter. Rather make a few stitches looser than the others than all of them too tight. And you will find that for the most part the looser stitches will disappear as the yarn kinda readjusts itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005 07:04:29 PM »

i like K hooks and red heart
when buying yarn stick with light colors (darks hard to see)

honestly when it comes to patterns H hooks are very irregular....my grandmom and i have done it for years and we dont own one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_katonic
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005 06:07:31 AM »

Thanks for all of the suggestions...I went out and bougt some worsted weight pastel multicolored yarn, which helped alot, then I reread the instructions and found I was doing the stitch way wrong.. I just got finished making a 6 by 6 stitch square of single stitch and feel sooo proud of myself Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aeroluci
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005 06:31:31 AM »

congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xaviera
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005 07:30:39 AM »

...found I was doing the stitch way wrong...

I found http://stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html to be really helpfull when I was first learning.

(Congrats on the square!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Frankenstein Doctor
How to Draw Final Fantasy Characters
How to Draw Tails
How to Draw Fairy Tail Lucy
How to Draw Evil Flippy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...