A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double-knit gauge count  (Read 1328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Imagine
« on: January 25, 2011 06:08:21 PM »

Hi knitters!

I don't know if this question has been answered before. I did a quick search without result. Here I go!

I'm knitting a hat for a friend. I want it to be really warm so I'm using the double-knitting technique (I do k1, p1 as shown in the knittinghelp video). I made a swatch and it gives me 6 stitches per inch on one side. To make a hat with 21 inches circumference, do I have to double the total?

6 x 21 = 126
126 x 2 = 252

Of course it's huge. I tried again, this time removing 10% (as per this post) and rounding it down so it's divisible by 8 (as per this video). So I'm now down to 224 stitches and it's still huge.

Should I cast on 126 stitches, and double-knit on that? Won't that be too small?

Thanks so much for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011 06:41:32 PM »

Since it's for a hat I'd recommend casting on half and then making the other half up in the next round, that will give you the snug edge you want on a hat. So cast on 112 and then increase to 224 in the first round. Add your second yarn in the second round and start double knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imagine
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011 07:44:55 PM »

The brim will be turned up though (for extra-extra warmth around the ears!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011 08:03:57 PM »

Well in that case, what appears too large might not be. When you first start out the stitches in double knitting are forced to be side by side rather than on top of each other. Try knitting for a few inches and see how the edge looks then, when the stitches can stack like they will in the finished hat.

An alternate idea, use a provisional cast on, cast on the full amount and knit the hat, then remove the cast on and separate the two layers onto different needles and Kitchener/graft them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imagine
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011 05:06:55 AM »

Alright! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011 07:50:21 AM »

An alternate idea, use a provisional cast on, cast on the full amount and knit the hat, then remove the cast on and separate the two layers onto different needles and Kitchener/graft them together.

Or use a 3 needle BO which can give a nice finished edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011 10:45:48 AM »

I haven't double knit anything yet, but what an awesome tip! Think I'm going to be using it when the time comes...thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011 12:33:55 PM »

I haven't double knit anything yet, but what an awesome tip! Think I'm going to be using it when the time comes...thanks!  Grin

You're welcome. Smiley Making the cast on and cast off in double knitting match has been one of things that I've fiddled with time and again, in the end the simplest way seemed to be grafting both ends closed. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Design Week Columbus 2012
Waterfall Swing Designed in Brooklyn
Creating the Art of Pe Lang with Machines
What Makes Design Work Meaningful
Why Entrepreneurial Leadership Starts With Passion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...