A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Missing pattern!  (Read 859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2010 05:16:01 PM »

I started knitting a hat about a year ago and then put it down for a long time, and now I can't find the pattern anywhere. Not in my house, not online, nowhere. I've just about reached the point where I need to start decreases, but I'm not sure how to do it. Have any of you seen this pattern?

Basket weave pattern stitch: First row: K4 P1 around for 9 rows. Next row: P5 *K4 P6* K4 P1 Around, Next row: K4 P1 around. Repeat these two rows twice more. Repeat first row for 9 rows. Next row: K4 P6 around, Next row: K4 P1 around, Repeat these two rows twice more.

That's my approximation from looking at what I've knitted so far. Help, please!

Fluffy Monkey

Edited to add pictures: Unfortunately, I took these with my iphone and it's a pain in the butt to upload them to craftster for some reason, so here are links instead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29465600@N05/5182170715/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29465600@N05/5182172437/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 12:36:43 PM by FluffyMonkey - Reason: Adding pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010 05:52:22 PM »

No clue as to which site you found it, eh? I've sometimes found patterns or other documents in Google by typing in very specific phrases from them in " " quote marks. Maybe that will help if you can visualize how it was written, especially this row "Next row: P5 *K4 P6* K4 P1".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010 05:55:11 PM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010 06:02:34 PM »

Trouble is that I don't have a copy of the pattern. I just wrote out what I think it might have said from what I've knitted so far. I'm pretty sure I found it on ravelry, and I can even kind of remember the picture, but that's not really helpful, is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010 08:17:28 PM »

Welllll... you could use the ravelry advanced search for knit hats, then use 'basketweave' as the keyword and see how many come up; yours might be there.

Or you can just wing it and do about 8 decs every other round on the k4 ribs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010 05:00:41 PM »

You could also just google 'knit basket weave hat' and maybe you can find it that way.  I would suggest posting a picture of the hat your talking about in this post.  Maybe be seeing the hat thus far someone will notice it and know where the pattern can be found.  I say that because a picture is worth a thousand words.  I surf the internet alot for patterns and although I dont recognize the pattern by reading the instructions you wrote I (along with other craftsters) might recognize what pattern your searching for if we see a photo of the unfinished item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010 12:41:53 PM »

I tried the ravelry search with basketweave and basket and weave and woven and everything and it came up with surprisingly few items, none of which was the particular pattern. Google wasn't much help either, combination of too much junk and not enough of the right kind of thing (actual patterns, not just hats).

Winging it could be a plan, too. If no one knows anything from the pictures, I'll just do that. Shame, though. Now that I've gotten into my stride with this hat, I wish I could make more!

Thanks for continuing to help. I really appreciate it!

Fluffymonkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011 10:43:39 AM »

Awesome. About a month after finishing the hat with your suggestions, I found the pattern buried at the bottom of my knitting basket. It wasn't called basketweave hat. It was called "geometric hat." *giant eyeroll* Good grief, am I dumb or what? Anyway, turns out that I like my improvised decreases better, even though I forgot to go to decreasing every row towards the end and it turned out a little pointy. If he pulls it down low, which he always does, you can't tell at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Grilled Minas Cheese with Pesto Sauce Recipe
The Future of the New York Food Scene
How to BBQ Lamb Burgers with Mountain Gorgonzola
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...