A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fused Plastic Gift Bags-with tutorial!  (Read 7485 times)
Tags for this thread: fused_plastic , tutorial , upcycle , gift_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2011 02:55:14 PM »

Trying to get a head start on Holidays? How about Handmade-REUSABLE-DESTASHED gift bags =)

This is my first tutorial EVER so please bare with me. Questions, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Here are my Christmas ones. These are itty bitty, just big enough for jewelry boxes (which is what they were intended for).

TUTORIAL:

Step 1: Gather all your materials. As I've shown here you need plastic bags (6 layers to make a strong layer) plus any colors/shapes you want to apply. For these I just used the target holiday bags. You also need scissors, hot iron, hot glue, ribbon/buttons/hemp etc for embellishments, two pieces of paper or parchment, pencil and paper to create a template, and a highlighter.
Step 2: Create your fused fabric. There are a ton of tutorials on that so I wont go into it, but a few tips: (depends entirely on the thickness of your bags, ink and your iron) mine ONLY works on the highest heat level, and I find it quicker to fuse 3 bags and continue adding them. I also placed my designs on the fabric and covered that with clear plastic bag so they stick better with no chance of peeling off in the distant future.
Step 3: create your template on a piece of paper. You can find these anywhere on the internet. To be honest I just winged it and it happen to work each time. I just found this site that has over 50 templates: http://melstampz.blogspot.com/2008/11/50-gift-bag-templates.html use that if your not feeling creative =P Next copy your template onto the plastic using a highlighter. I use a highlighter because it wipes off when your done. (See 3a and 3b)

Step 4: After you bend your creases where the highlighter marks were, you need to cut. The measurements for this bag folded are: 4"x4.5"x1.5"x1.5" which makes the template 12"x6" As you can see in the picture the bottom corner piece is cut off entirely.
Step 5: the one inch strip is glued to the interior of 1.5" strip when folded together. (This photo step didn't come out sorry!) but once glued it should look like the picture.

Step 6: This is the bottom of the bag. Glue the two small edges onto ONE of the large edges. Then glue the OTHER large edge on top of those. This seals the bag and hides all the edges! It should look like 6b when your done. (Mine appears to be doing the wave in this picture..)
Step 7: Your done with the basic bag! Now to embellish how you see fit! I wrapped the top in ribbon as it hides any unevenness in the bag consistency and goes with it! Just apply hot glue and wrap.

Step 8: Optional of course. I decided to make a layered button closure. So I cut a small piece of ribbon to fit the back of the button, glued and layered the buttons so it fits the rest of the ribbon. Then glued it to the outside of the bag as pictured.
Step 9: To finish my bag I dabbed a piece of hot glue on the interior opposite of the buttons and place a piece of hemp cord that would attach to the buttons. Then hot glued OVER it to finish with ribbon and give it a clean look.

BE CREATIVE and enjoy! I made everything entirely from stash and was eco friendly. Cuter than store bought and MUCH cheaper, plus reusable!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011 03:18:36 PM by Lillianpearl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011 03:25:12 PM »

Thank you for the fabulous tutorial!  I love this style of fused bag Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
Donnas_Daze

Life, Motherhood, & crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011 05:59:18 PM »

I'm having a heck of a time finding a tutorial for fusing the fabric.  Can you point me towards one?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011 06:07:57 PM »

Awesome!!  I featured this on our Facebook page this evening http://www.facebook.com/craftster
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011 09:57:53 PM »

I'm having a heck of a time finding a tutorial for fusing the fabric.  Can you point me towards one?  Thanks.

Heres a fabulous one I JUST found: http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html

The biggest thing is, if your first fuse doesn't work, keep trying! Try using less layers to start with, playing with the heat levels. It depends entirely on the thickness of the bags and the individual iron!

Awesome!!  I featured this on our Facebook page this evening http://www.facebook.com/craftster

Thanks so much!! I'm honored! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011 11:49:54 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing how you made your wonderful gift bags. They are a wonderful way to give and to recycle. Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Favorite Exfoliators
Expert Shares The Very Best Earth Friendly Beauty Products
Lavender Coconut Body Scrub
Tati Westbrook: 5 Minute Glam Look
Tati Westbrook: GlamLifeGuru
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...