A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cyber-falls tutorial  (Read 4365 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ArabellaCraft
« on: January 25, 2011 12:46:35 PM »

Making your own awesome falls is pretty easy.  Here's what you need:

Tubular Crin (aka Cyberlox)
, however many colours you like; I used one package of pink and one package of fluorescent yellow/green in the Mini size.
Elastic - regular elastic or stretch lace
Additional embellishments ; I used craft foam but you can also thread beads onto the crin, add rexlace, ribbons, etc.

Tubular crin is springy and is essentially what is nowadays called 'horsehair braid' (no longer made of horsehair, it's a synthetic) woven in a tubular shape.

Measure how long you want your falls to be; each piece of crin should be double this length.  Be careful not to stretch it as you're cutting so you don't end up with pieces that are too short!

Tubular crin can fray, so before constructing the falls you should take all your sections and finish the ends by turning the edges to the inside for a few centimeters. On large crin you can use your finger; for this mini crin I used the blunt end of a ballpoint pen to push the edges inside.

Fold each piece of crin in half and loop it over the elastic, pulling the ends through the loop and tightening.  To avoid stretching the crin, pull tightly only near the elastic rather than from the ends.  If you pull this knot tightly enough it shouldn't go anywhere. Smiley

Continue until you have a long enough strip to wrap around your bun or ponytail.

I found the falls weren't full enough for my taste, so I folded extra pieces of crin and hand-sewed them on top of the knotted ones.

Here's one fall with all the crin added.

Craft foam (aka Foamies) is great for adding texture to cyber falls.  If you can get the large size sheets, they're easiest as you don't need to piece things together.  I only had regular-size, so I layered pink and green using hot glue.  Trimming the foam at an angle looks nicer IMO than leaving it blunt.

I hot-glued the top of each foam strip to the falls, folding the foam over the knotted and sewn crin.  If you wish to add Rexlace strands or metallic ribbon, this is the time to do it.  Thin accents can just be tied onto the falls the same way you did the crin.

To wear your falls, put your hair up in two secure ponytails or buns, the higher the better to get a nice full effect and coverage of your own hair.  Tie the elastic or stretch lace securely around your buns; it can be easiest to do this with your head upside down.  Use some hairpins to secure and you're done!

A headband or goggles are useful for hiding your hair if it doesn't match the falls you've made, or you can get clip-in bangs.

(the mannequin head has the falls pinned on, just to give you an idea of how they'll look)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aryante

Wait for it...that's right keep waiting

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 07:22:35 AM »

Love it!! My best friend literally just asked me to find her instructions on how to make a set of these Smiley These are really easy to understand and the end result looks so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011 11:18:28 AM »

these remind me i really need to post the ribbon hair i do lol
(essentially the same process but with ribbons around a piece of elastic or ribbon but i use metallic ribbon or whatever curling ribbon i can get... not quite as big or full but good for someone who'd want a toned down cyber fall ((or raver hair like a girl at the bar called it)) set Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nerdgasm
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012 08:21:33 AM »

This is great! I have so many friends who would love to learn how to make one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Project: Painted Umbrellas
How to Make a Creative Wedding Seating Plan
How to Make Your Own One-of-a-Kind Stuffed Animal
How to Make Balloon Pumpkins
How to Make Tie-Dyed Leggings
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...