A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rings and Grommet HELP!  (Read 2110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mylasbags
« on: January 25, 2011 08:33:51 AM »

Hello all!
I have been wanting to make a bag that has the the ring through the grommet(see attached photo). Can anyone tell me where I can find those rings? I have some rings at home but they are very hard to open up.

Thanks all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, Laugh.. it's what I do!
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

Still I fly...still I fall.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011 12:31:34 PM »

I would love to do this as well, but I don't know how to do it, either (being pretty helpful, am I? Cheesy ). I have a bag which uses the same technique and I went and tested if I could open it up. I pulled as hard as I could, and it opened only about 2mm. I'm guessing you would either have to buy weaker rings or have some pretty strong hardware... Weaker rings might open more easily, but who knows if they decide to open by themselves when you have stashed your bag full! They could be welded shut, but... Yeah.

I have to look into this and do some tests when I get something more heavy duty than a hammer and jewelery pliers... I'll let you know if you if I  come up with something brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[revenge is the best revenge]
My still small wist!
ntaga
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 02:36:16 PM »

Would something like this work? http://www.etsy.com/listing/55648891/gate-ring-1-14-inch-nickel-2pcs-free?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=purse%2Brings&ga_search_type=supplies&ga_page=7
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntaga
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011 06:24:44 AM »

Or these gate rings...they use 2 tiny screws to hold them together: http://www.etsy.com/listing/66968363/2-12-inch-brushed-anti-bronze-round-gate?ga_search_query=gate%2Brings&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5399203
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mylasbags
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011 06:09:42 AM »

These might work. I was looking for something that didn't open like this but maybe this is what I need to get. Thanks for the research "ntaga". I did look for "rings" but when you search "rings" you pull up 80 gazillion different items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, Laugh.. it's what I do!
Creative Soul
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011 03:58:59 AM »

I ask from someone strong who uses some tools to pull them open (if they're way to hard for me). When you pull open, try seperating not to the sides, but backwards and forwards. Then you pull the sides back to the original position, closed.

And when you look for rings, don't search just for the word 'rings', write 'O-rings', that's their specific name. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011 07:01:22 AM »

I've used these before. You can get them at Joann's or Michael's, if they're near you.  The key to this making sure that you have a hammer and a very hard surface, and your little hole to put the grommet in isn't too big (otherwise it won't grab the fabric).  I tried on my carpeted floor and it didn't work, but on the concrete outside, it worked a LOT better.  I put a piece of fabric down so my project wouldn't get icky from the concrete. 

You can also buy grommet setters, which help a lot too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011 04:20:48 PM »

That link to the silver-tone "ring" posted by ntaga...those are key rings, I can get those at the key maker's in my local hardware store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenny12
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013 06:44:52 PM »

Mylasbags:
Did you ever find a solution? I am working on a bag very similar. It needs an o-ring threaded through grommets just like the photo you posted.

I cannot for the life of me get the o-rings (I have 1.5" ones) open without completely damaging them. I tried with pliers and it completely ruined the finish. I have been searching online and haven't really found anything.

So, anyone have tips for getting large o-rings open??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Happy, Happy, Happy With Phil Robertson
Tim Federle Q&A
Tim Federle Reading Better Nate
Your Network Is Your Net Worth by Porter Gale
The Program by Suzanne Young
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...