A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marie Skirt + Pattern Review  (Read 2797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecuteoctopus

A Gentleman's personal Gentleman

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2011 06:43:03 AM »

(The hem is taken out in this photo, it's not supposed to be all frayed like that!)

This weekend I made this skirt using the free MARIE skirt pattern on Burda Style.  Although I took my measurements to make this skirt, the waist ended up being looser than I anticipated.  The waist hangs lower on my hips than it was designed to, and thus lowers the hips of the skirt down below my natural hip making it look strange and ill-fitting (a.k.a. my butt isn't usually that big!).

Unfortunately I didn't make a muslin (since I am lazy and never do, especially because I got the fabric on sale for $6 and this is just the leftovers from my dress) and in my hurry to finish it, I didn't try it on before placing the zipper either.  I took out my hem and tried doing some alterations without moving the zipper, (i.e. pinning up the back or other side) but because of the pleats, taking it in too much caused them to pull and look strange (In the photos I had already taken in each side about 1.5 inches).

I don't know if I'll ever wear this thing, it's just not very flattering on my body and I don't know if I'm committed enough to it to tear the whole thing apart and start over if I'm not really going to want to wear it anyway.

Marie #9177

My Review:
Pattern Description:
Highwaisted Tulip-shaped skirt

Pattern Sizing:
34-44 (I made it in a 42)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions aren't super clear if you are a beginner, they tend to be a little vague.  I really didn't look at them after my first skim through and just did my own thing.  It's a very easy skirt to put together if you have ever made a skirt with a waistband before. It took me an afternoon to sew it and then a bit longer to alter it.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked how easy the pattern was, I disliked that it ran larger than I expected from the measurements.

Fabric Used:
Black and White suiting (Joann Fabrics) and Cotton print for the inside waistband.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

* Shortened skirt by 6 inches(?approx.)
    * Removed one set of pleats in the back to reduce fullness.
    * Added back seam because of fabric shortage!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I probably won't sew this pattern again, and if I do, it will be with some alterations to the fit.  I think I would also invert the pleats so that the skirt doesn't dip in and give the illusion of baggy shorts.

Conclusion:
Interesting skirt for a beginning sewer.  Just learn from me and make sure you check your fit BEFORE you decide to finish!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011 05:26:05 AM by thecuteoctopus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vallyncia
Sweet Detachment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011 02:00:19 PM »

Thanks for the posting and the review! It's awesome that you are sharing your experiences with others that may want to try the same thing.
I know what you mean about projects that you kind of rush through, and then end up not liking...that's the funny thing with sewing, hey? Sometimes you worry too much about the end result and not enough about the process of getting there.
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be happy is to be creating.
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011 11:00:18 PM »

First, I love your fabric!

Second, you nailed it on the head with your review, as I thought EXACTLY the same. Luckily, I was a smart sewer (wow, that rarely happens...) and pinned all the pleats in place and tried it on before putting on the waistband. Too bad I didn't think about the length until I'd tried it on, as it's waaaaay too long to be attractive on any but the slimmest of girlish figures. I wish I'd chopped 6 inches off the paper pattern BEFORE wasting my beautiful fabric. And to be honest, I didn't even use the back of Marie, but rather the back of a pencil skirt pattern from 1992. It fits my bottom fabulously Tongue

As for fixing it, do you have more of that fabric or something complementary? I too despise stitch ripping. Just cut right at the seam line, make a new waistband that fits you properly (or salvage that one if you need to), adjust the pleat placement to reflect your actual waist measurement, and attach the new proper-fitting waistband. That would take up some of the length at the same time as adjusting the waist. I hope that was semi-sorta useful Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecuteoctopus

A Gentleman's personal Gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011 05:29:52 AM »

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, (and for letting me know that I'm not the only one with sewing problems!!).  Last night I ripped the whole thing apart and started re-doing it.  

Alexus1325, I ended up doing something similar to yours and took the pleats out of the back entirely and put in two darts instead! Much more flattering to the derriere! I also re cut the front panel and re-did the pleats so that they are less deep. I'm not going to be able to work on it again tonight because I have a dreaded dentist appt. (getting a crown in, D: yuck!) but I will post the results of the "refinished finished project" as soon as I can put it back together!

Thanks again!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011 05:31:00 AM by thecuteoctopus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
OMG With RJS: How to Apply Airbrush Makeup
Which of These Weird Beauty Remedies Would You Try?
How to Apply False Lashes Like a Pro
How to Get Shay Mitchell’s Daytime Smoky Eye
Back-to-School Makeup Mistakes You Can’t Afford to Make
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...