A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,538
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yet another Tudor Rose bag + matching headband  (Read 3594 times)
Tags for this thread: tudor_rose  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pollyanna On Speed
« on: January 24, 2011 05:45:23 AM »

Hi.

I loved Pretty Little Rainbow's Tudor Rose Bag http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359911.0 and felt that I needed to try it out. I didn't know if it would work, but I decided to make it into a hat as well.

I was so positive about how I was going; cut out the flowers, fused the batting and assembled the flower. Then I realised I had no idea what I was doing.
To make it more simple I only made one side with the rose (It also saved A LOT of fabric).
I also made simple straps and the button instead of zip (I was originally going to do the clasp but I didn't have access to one)
I broke a needle on my machine, and then hand sewing broke two more needles.

Used Canadian smocking as the pattern suggests. I've never smocked before so it was a lot of fun learning.
* I've fixed the scrunched up section on the right*

The bag is actually quite small, so if I try this again (which I'll probably do soon) I'm definitely enlarging it.

And the hat (or headband).

I found a tutorial for diamond smocking, which I kept messing up so I finally located "honey comb" smocking directions and after a few hours of trying and unpicking I successfully created the middle of the flower.

I initially was going to make the hat with both the large and small petals, but decided to stick to the small only. I'll probably play around with a bigger one later. I guess I'll have to have interfacing or stiffen the material for that.

I had a blast making this  Grin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 05:06:23 PM by Pollyanna On Speed » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011 06:17:21 AM »

Looks really good!  I'm tempted to try this bag every time someone posts their results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
DawnsTrees
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011 06:48:17 AM »

This turned out beautifully! I love the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
jlh326
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011 09:25:00 AM »

i love the color!! it looks great! you did a very nice job! the headband/hat is a cute touch also!! i found this pattern, and thought about only doing one side also. but, haven't gained the confidence to do it yet! i still need to pick up some fabric. i wondered how bulky it would with all the petals. I'm no pattern-maker, but was trying to figure a way of altering/cutting it so it wouldn't be so bulky/heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011 04:42:38 PM »

Thank you.
I say go for it. I'm a beginner and had made a total of 4 pojects bedore this, you can just adapt it as you go.
I love how the bag turned out. I'd like to remake the centre of the hat though, work it into a better circle.

jlh326, The finished product isn't bulky.
I used  cavalier gaberdine which was a medium weight. It also had no stretch, which I highly recomned.
I used fusable batting as well which was only 5mm think.
My machine could manage putting the petals and leaves together easily. Adding the small flower onto the larger one did require hand sewing.

Edit:  use embroidery thread for the smocking.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011 03:09:29 AM by Pollyanna On Speed » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrisi123
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011 09:08:09 AM »

i found this pattern several years ago online and loved it but never downloaded it, my daughter is getting married and wants to include this pattern into her wedding theme for her bridesmaids/flower girls and maid of honour, however i have searched and searched for this pattern and cant find it anywhere, does anyone have the pattern that they would kindly consider sending me to save my daughters tears and complete her wedding...many thanks...chrisi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011 02:36:20 AM »

Hi Chrisi,
savvyseams is gone but you can find the pattern through web archive.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070316122815/www.savvyseams.com/bags/flower.pdf
and instructions
http://web.archive.org/web/20100211094838/http://www.savvyseams.com/bags/flower.php

This bag doesn't hold much. My purse doesn't fit, but a coin purse, mobile and keys would fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NicoleMarie
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011 02:37:30 AM »

Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CMFoster
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011 08:37:23 AM »

So cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012 05:04:39 AM »

Thank You,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Super Bowl Team Tee
Spotted: Kristen Stewart in Plaid - Twice!
Emilia Wickstead Spring 2014 London Fashion Week
Fashion Palette Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week
Emilio De La Morena Spring 2014 London Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...