A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Doctor Who Cosplay Outfit  (Read 5316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HellOverWater
« on: January 23, 2011 05:47:36 PM »

I've been a long time stalker of Craftster for some time now, and now that I actually have a project that doesn't quite seem so easy to solve by searching, I'm finally posting.

My friend and I are planning on making Cosplay costumes to double for a possible trip to comic con/halloween (wasn't sure if this counted as something to be put in the Halloween forum just because it's more of a cosplay outfit than anything else). I'm planning on dressing up as River Song in her white jedi-esque outfit from this most recent season.

http://i1.cdnds.net/10/24/550w_cult_doctor_who_0512_4.jpg

I have a lot of experience sewing/constructing clothing but I haven't done it in years (and by years, read that as half a decade), so I'm incredibly rusty in terms of fabric knowledge/usage, as well as am just looking for help with finding patterns that I can use for the outfit.

So I was wondering if any members on here could help me out with this? I'm more so lost as to what I can use for her jacket. I'm planning on using a ribbed knit for the top collars but the rest of the jacket kind of has me lost. I'm also planning on making a similar bustier the same brown as the boots and pouche/holster, but that's a pattern that I already have. But any help with any other part of the costume (also with the exception of the shaggy sweater), would really be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CptnDenim
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 04:53:37 PM »

I re-watched the episode just for you  Grin its one of my favorites.

If you look in the scenes after she enters the Tardis, River isn't wearing the vest, and you can get the best idea of what is actually going on.

In my opinion, It isn't a jacket with two collars, but a sweater with a large knit collar and a centered zipper underneath a close fitted parka type jacket.

I would guess that the jacket is a synthetic by the way it reflects light. probably a three layered construction (outer layer, thin insulation, liner) Its a princess cut with two zipper pockets at an angle on the chest. probably two other pockets covered by the belt.

It has a yoke back and the sleeves are probably made in three pieces (you can see a french seam going down the back of it, and there is probably another seam in the underarm.) The sleeves have a cuff made of the same material.

The closure of the jacket is off center, and has a zip and snap closure, further supporting the suspicion that it is a parka type jacket.

The pants are a knit material, and in some scenes appear to have two darker stripes going down the sides.

I have no Idea where or how to find the pattern for the jacket, but hopefully the details help you know what to look for when you cruise a pattern catalog. the pants can be any tight fit pant pattern, 

In my area that style of sweater was fairly popular for the past couple of winter seasons. I wouldn't make it, but start haunting goodwill stores looking for one that looks right in the collar. It doesn't even matter what the rest of it looks like, since it will be covered up by the jacket.

I hope that helps! Good luck with the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at it this way: Tomorrow, your job is to change the world into a better place. Today, my job is to see that everyone gets there. - Granny Weatherwax

Amazing hoodie swap!
HellOverWater
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011 07:50:28 PM »

I re-watched the episode just for you  Grin its one of my favorites.

If you look in the scenes after she enters the Tardis, River isn't wearing the vest, and you can get the best idea of what is actually going on.

In my opinion, It isn't a jacket with two collars, but a sweater with a large knit collar and a centered zipper underneath a close fitted parka type jacket.

I would guess that the jacket is a synthetic by the way it reflects light. probably a three layered construction (outer layer, thin insulation, liner) Its a princess cut with two zipper pockets at an angle on the chest. probably two other pockets covered by the belt.

It has a yoke back and the sleeves are probably made in three pieces (you can see a french seam going down the back of it, and there is probably another seam in the underarm.) The sleeves have a cuff made of the same material.

The closure of the jacket is off center, and has a zip and snap closure, further supporting the suspicion that it is a parka type jacket.

The pants are a knit material, and in some scenes appear to have two darker stripes going down the sides.

I have no Idea where or how to find the pattern for the jacket, but hopefully the details help you know what to look for when you cruise a pattern catalog. the pants can be any tight fit pant pattern, 

In my area that style of sweater was fairly popular for the past couple of winter seasons. I wouldn't make it, but start haunting goodwill stores looking for one that looks right in the collar. It doesn't even matter what the rest of it looks like, since it will be covered up by the jacket.

I hope that helps! Good luck with the project.

Wow! That was -so- much help! You have absolutely no idea! That's just made me even more excited about getting this started. Thanks very much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
osiris
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011 03:28:38 AM »

The jacket River is wearing was tracked down by the guys over at DWCosplay on Livejournal (http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay seriously, if you're even considering any DW cosplay, go there first). Hopefully these pics will help you track one down yourself, or at least help in construction.

This is the jacket. It is a double collar one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270694812049
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HellOverWater
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011 06:32:19 PM »

The jacket River is wearing was tracked down by the guys over at DWCosplay on Livejournal (http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay seriously, if you're even considering any DW cosplay, go there first). Hopefully these pics will help you track one down yourself, or at least help in construction.

This is the jacket. It is a double collar one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270694812049

Ahh! Again! Thank you very much! I just book marked that website so fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Resize the Stage in Flash CS3
How to Save a Selection in Photoshop CS3
How to Save a Workspace Setup in InDesign CS3
How to Save an Image as a TIFF File in Photoshop CS3
How to Save an Image in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...