A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celebrate Banner  (Read 2853 times)
Tags for this thread: bunting , banner , birthday , anniversary_gift  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 23, 2011 11:00:28 AM »

Last night we threw a 200 years Combined Experience party because this year our house turns 100, The ManFlesh's mom turns 60 (in a couple weeks) and I turned [gulp] 40 yesterday.  I wanted to have festive decorations, but not go with a specific them since we were celebrating such a variety of things.  I made this hoping I could use it for many birthdays, anniversaries and other celebrations in the future.  We added orange balloons and orange and white crepe streamers.

I could have used some quilters' skills when trying to put together 10 different fabrics.  While not completely successful, I feel okay about it for my first time.  Each fabric had at least 2 colors from at least 2 other fabrics, but I think I had some issues with pattern scale and dark/vs light backgrounds.  I did spend less money than buying a pre-assembled set of fat quarters, though.  I received some compliments from party-goers, so that was extra nice.

I've been on a bias tape making kick for a year (or more) and think this might be the cutest I've made so far; well, this wasn't cut on the bias, but it's double-fold tape.

Huh Until there is a Birthdays & Anniversary category on the Occasions and Holidays board (hint, hint, nag, nag) it seems this is the place for this project.  If it's better somewhere else, please let me know about moving it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011 11:20:38 AM »

I think you did a splendid job of combining fabrics. It is very festive! The pinked (zig zag) edges are a wonderful addition, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011 11:23:19 AM »

I love all the fabrics and I think they look great together! You did a fabulous job, as usual!! Happy Birthday (again)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 11:27:21 AM »

I think it looks fabulous!!  And I really like your party idea of 200 years of combined experience Grin 

Although there isn't a Birthday and Anniversary section on the Occasions and Holidays board, there is a Party Planning section Smiley.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
autumnsunset
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 12:42:55 PM »

Smiley I love it! It is so nice to have special items to bring out again and again. It inspires me to make something for my middle sons, high school graduation this summer. I want to make a scrapbook but now I may make some decorations too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosie rawrs
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 01:53:13 PM »

That looks really professional! I've been planning on making a pennant garland? banner? for my sewing room for months and still haven't gotten around to it....maybe pinking the fabric will be quicker and therefore more motivating Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011 02:00:50 PM »

I think you did a splendid job of combining fabrics. It is very festive! The pinked (zig zag) edges are a wonderful addition, too.

Thanks!  Something about pinked edges charms me and it's not just that it's faster than turning them right-side out which is plenty charming.

I think it looks fabulous!!  And I really like your party idea of 200 years of combined experience Grin  

Although there isn't a Birthday and Anniversary section on the Occasions and Holidays board, there is a Party Planning section Smiley.

Thanks!  It seemed like a good way to have a disparate bunch of folks all together at once.  And as a way to work through a surprisingly abundant stash of party plates, cups and napkins and not be worried about them matching.

It didn't seem that this qualified as planning, does it?  I still want to lobby for a Birthday & Anniversaries section as I've had several little projects that seem to best fit in such.  [nag, nag]  Wink

Smiley I love it! It is so nice to have special items to bring out again and again. It inspires me to make something for my middle sons, high school graduation this summer. I want to make a scrapbook but now I may make some decorations too!

Thank you!  I thought not only would it help build a tradition, but it would be both economical and ecological.  I was hoping to have time to make the dogs some collar covers out of the remaining fabric so they'd match the party, but I just couldn't swing it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011 02:09:28 PM »

That looks really professional! I've been planning on making a pennant garland? banner? for my sewing room for months and still haven't gotten around to it....maybe pinking the fabric will be quicker and therefore more motivating Tongue

Thanks!  I'd never have done it if I hadn't planned on the pinking.  Not only is it faster, but I think a little more forgiving if each one isn't exactly the same and certainly when it comes to making a crisp-looking point at the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011 02:28:43 PM »

I will pass on your lobbying efforts....  Birthdays are the biggest Occasions in my book Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
TheMistressT

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011 03:44:00 PM »

I will pass on your lobbying efforts....  Birthdays are the biggest Occasions in my book Grin

Thanks!  Next up: BIG PICKET SIGNS!  Well, maybe not.   Kiss  Sometime in the last couple of weeks I did mention it in the What Do You Want Changed or Added to Craftster thread so I feel that I've been given a fair and reasonable opportunity to make my wishes known.  Good ol' Craftster... YEY!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 03:49:20 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Cool, Sleeveless Jumpsuit
Dress Like a Fashion Icon This Halloween
Style Tips From Jenna Lyons
Project Runway Winner Announced
Style Sound-Off: Rihanna, Kim K, Nikki Reed
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...