A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting supplies/ How much do you get of each fabric?  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhiteSheep
« on: January 23, 2011 09:32:19 AM »

Hey,

My boyfriend has just bought me a sewing machine (after me dropping hints for ages lol), and I'm wanting to get into doing quits and making items etc. Sorry about the two questions in one i thought this was better than doing two posts.

So question one, what are the essential things i will need for quilting?

And the second question is, I'm just wondering if you like a fabric, how much do you buy? As I've seen a few i like and I'm unsure on how much id realistically need to make a decent quilt.

Thanks for any help

Nessy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://agreenmess.wordpress.com/ - My little world

I Love doing swaps!
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011 03:33:20 PM »

First,  quilt supplies:  A 1/4" presser foot, a rotary cutter, extra blades, and a cutting mat are very useful.  You will also need a ruler or two. . .  I started with a 6" x 24" ruler, which is very versatile.  What ever else you need will largely depend on what kind of quilts  you make. . .  if you start using patterns with a lot of half-square triangle, I'd recommend an E-Z Angle ruler.

Second, fabric:  What kind of quilts do you like/want to make?  I specialize in scrap quilts.  Most of my quilts have anywhere from 50 to 100 different fabrics. . .  so I buy mostly 1/4 yard cuts (1/2 a  yard to  a yard for border and binding fabric).  If you prefer more coordinated quilts, then buy larger cuts (but fewer fabrics). . .

Oh- the library can be a great resource for how-to books and quilting magazines. . .  which can save you money while you learn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
sincap
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011 08:47:34 PM »

I buy a lot of fat quarters, which is an 18x22 cut. They are usually around $2-4. I pick 2 or 3 up whenever I go to a fabric store, and I end up with a whole drawer full of them. So I have a lot to work with whenever I feel like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyrollfabric
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011 06:49:27 AM »

Making a patchwork quilt is probably a great place to start - it'll get you used to your sewing machine, plus patchwork quilts are timeless and pretty! Just pick out a color scheme you like and buy about 10 fabrics, and get a quarter yard of each. If you cut squares that are 7 inches all around, you'll get about 6 from each quarter yard. 60 total squares from your 10 fabrics. Then you can put them together in a 7 x 7 or 7 x 8 grid for a nice lap quilt, which will be easy on your sewing machine to quilt. And easy on your patience. Smiley

I'd also get a small rotary cutting board and rotary cutter (probably around $20-25). If you have a Joann nearby you, you can always find a printable coupon online to apply to that stuff, or just wait for it to go on sale about once a month. Their quilting fabric is also fairly inexpensive - you can probably pick up the amount of fabric you'd need for the quilt top I described for less than $15.

I did my first patchwork quilt entirely by hand... never again! lol Be glad you have a sewing machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liz Katsuro, owner operator of http://jellyrollfabric.net
lis547
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011 01:24:25 PM »

First,  quilt supplies:  A 1/4" presser foot, a rotary cutter, extra blades, and a cutting mat are very useful.  You will also need a ruler or two. . .  I started with a 6" x 24" ruler, which is very versatile.  What ever else you need will largely depend on what kind of quilts  you make. . .  if you start using patterns with a lot of half-square triangle, I'd recommend an E-Z Angle ruler.

completely agree.  I would also add a pair of nice scissors to that list. Also, this may not be quilting supply, but while you're at the store pick up a sewing machine maintenance kit.  And remember to oil and clean your machine regularly!

As to the amount of fabric, it obviously depends on what pattern you will make.  If you're following a patter, it will tell you how much fabric to get.  When I started quilting, my general rule was to get an extra 1/4 yard more than what the pattern called for. Just in case I screw up with the cutting or sewing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!

Etsy! -- be green and buy recycled materials

i <3 yarn Smiley
BelleBeryl
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012 03:43:53 AM »

Myself I have fat quarters , 1/4 yards , 3/8 yards and some 1/2 yards. And just  two each of 1 , 1 1/2 and  2 yards. All of my fabric fits into 3 sections of a large cabinet. I make lap throw quilts , small wall hangings , placemats , mug rugs , table runners , xmas ornaments etc. I do hand quilting only ! I do not have a large stash but a large assortment of fabrics in colors and themes I really like florals , xmas , some blenders , some asian and one novelty fabric. There are always new and even more beautiful fabrics to buy so , I tend to buy just 3 times a year.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013 02:10:18 AM by BelleBeryl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012 09:48:35 PM »

The fabric is good for a backing, then one yard is perfect for making a baby quilt.  I haven't bought anything over 1/4 yard for a long time, though. 

When you need supplies, you'll buy them.  There's no reason to buy anything in advance.

A good question to ask, if you'd like to start a new thread, is "What sewing/quilting gadget or item would you NOT buy again?" .  This might help you to have an idea of some things to avoid. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
mom2garrett
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012 08:13:39 AM »

I mainly do scrap quilts, too, so I always scour the remnant bins and clearance fabrics.  Also, if I'm buying fabric for a specific pattern, I always round up so I have some left over for my stash.  I've also had people give me "ugly" fabric.  I'll take it!  Used in small amounts, it's not so bad, and in a scrap quilt, other fabrics will tone down the ugliness.  Another source for fabric is thrift stores--I've found bags of fabric/scraps for next to nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why You Should Be Eating Buckwheat Pancakes
How to Make Eggnog Cupcakes With Spiced Frosting
These Are The Cuddliest Gingerbread Men Ever
Turn Your Gingerbread Man Into a Reindeer Cookie!
Learn How to Make a Dancing Gingerbread Man
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...