A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruffled.. bunched-ish Prom Dress  (Read 4579 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rayye
« on: January 23, 2011 09:26:48 AM »

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to make this prom dress? I have an old dress, that I wore in a spelling bee. Beautiful fabric, tons of it. I removed the top of the dress(the boob part, it was an empire dress) and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this?

Okay, I sort of want it to be tiered ruffles, but like, bunched up. So, basically, I want it to be ruffles, but sewn up so it's one piece of fabric, but bunched up so it has a sort of ruffled look like this:

http://www.missandmrstallclothes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sleeveless-ruffle-top.jpg

but also, connected, sort of like this:

So it's like 1 whole piece of fabric, but bunched up to get a ruffly look.

if anyone could tell me what that's called, you would be my hero. Also, if anyone has any pictures of this, could you post them?

I was wondering how you would actually go about doing this. Maybe another fabric under this that you would sew the bunched up pieces to? I'm not sure when the prom would be.. march(probably) or april. Hopefully not february. D: But, that doesn't give me much time.

Ok, so the dress is going to probably have a bottom like that (in my pretty grey, white, and pink fabric) and a grey or black thick band empire waist thingy below the top which will be white with a round collar.

If you could help me it would be very much appreciated.

Also, I'm making my own because I'm just so darn fed up with all those ugly, plain, weird thick fabric, prom dresses that everyoneee has.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 04:24:11 PM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnightTemplar

I'm a ninja zombie bunny robot princess.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011 10:28:25 AM »

Ok, It's apparently called pick ups. heres a tutorial I was thinking about using:
http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/pick-up-skirt-technique

hope this helps you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be a saint is the exception, but to be upright is the rule. err, falter, sin, but be upright.

I craft, and live in my spare time.
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011 10:58:04 AM »

Pick ups are pretty simple but you need to measure and mark well. Mark down the length of the dress so you know it's all even and then you can join your marks accurately Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
rayye
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 10:59:51 AM »

Thank you so much! YOU ARE AMAZING! I have been looking everywhere for something like that. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinkerMonroe
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 07:03:49 PM »

Thanks to rayye for the original post and KnightTemplar for the link!  My wedding dress was very similar to the one in the picture and I'd love to make a shorter skirt with pick ups!  Does anyone have any advice on which materials may work better or cautionary tales of ones that won't work at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glue, stuck to my shoe.

Blog
I joined the revolution! I Wisted!
amazing_784
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011 03:54:04 PM »

Thanks to rayye for the original post and KnightTemplar for the link!  My wedding dress was very similar to the one in the picture and I'd love to make a shorter skirt with pick ups!  Does anyone have any advice on which materials may work better or cautionary tales of ones that won't work at all?
Fabrics with a little body of their own will work the best with a pick-up skirt.  I took an old (think 80's) bridesmaid dress that was tea-length satin and made a knee-length dress by shortening the skirt this way.  Now that I think of it, the weight/body of the fabric really depends on how you want the finished skirt to look.  Test out the fabrics by folding them over onto themselves and see how you like the look of it before you commit to buying something.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Literal Rhythm and Reflected Rhythm
How to Create Personal Distance with our Images
How to Create Good Black and White Tone
How to Achieve Balance Amongst your Images
How to Crop to Achieve Image Balance
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...