A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boy's Wool Pea Coat  (Read 1262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

baileemartini
« on: January 22, 2011 09:45:25 PM »

I got two patterns from the Etsy seller Dear My Kids Easywear, and one of them was this pea coat:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62648663/trendy-unisex-pea-coat-for-kids-double

I printed out all the pattern pieces, cut and assembled. There were 5 sizes, each a different color, so it was easy to cut. The outside is a blue wool blend, the inside is red cotton. It took me a few hours to put together, and I made a few alterations. It is a VERY wide coat, almost like a swing coat, so I altered the pattern to be more slim. I also completely changed the button placement, because I wanted them closer together, and it didn't fit my son right with how far it overlapped. I didn't add the cuff bands because I forgot to buy 2 extra buttons.

The pattern was easy to follow, moderately easy, and I love how it turned out. The inset sleeves and buttonholes were a pain, but when aren't they? I didn't iron before I topstitched, which made the hem a little funky, but it is alright. I have enough fabric to make another and work out the kinks.

My son loves to model, he smiles big and says "EEEEEEEEEEEE!"

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011 09:47:07 PM by baileemartini » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fliztods
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 10:35:08 PM »

This is adorable! I think the topstitchng looks great. And you have a great model. My daughter would never stand still long enough for such great photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baileemartini
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 10:43:58 PM »

This is adorable! I think the topstitchng looks great. And you have a great model. My daughter would never stand still long enough for such great photos!

It usually takes a snack; he was eating popcorn in between photos. When he is feeling like it though, he will stand still, pose and smile. It's so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011 11:45:11 PM »

Great job on the coat and great colours Grin  Patterns, to me, are just guidelines since everyone is shaped different, even little stick people (little kids lol)...it's great when you can just take the main guideline and alter it to your own needs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
MarieAntoinette
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011 11:47:23 PM »

Cute design!  I like how retro it feels...

As for the model, the trick I always give my friends with kids is to take picture in the "shuffle" mode, the mode where it takes 10 pictures, in one click!  You're bound to get cute pics that way (although you'll have to throw away alot too).  But it doesn't look like you need any help here!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baileemartini
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 06:40:01 AM »

Cute design!  I like how retro it feels...

As for the model, the trick I always give my friends with kids is to take picture in the "shuffle" mode, the mode where it takes 10 pictures, in one click!  You're bound to get cute pics that way (although you'll have to throw away alot too).  But it doesn't look like you need any help here!!!   Grin

yeah, i usually snap off about 5-7 and get 2-3 good ones. he really hammed it up here; i have some other photos that are a riot  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Princienna

** My Daughters' Are The Worlds Best Art Pieces **

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011 07:51:05 AM »

Aw ur lil boy is lush Cheesy

I loev the coat babe .. Very cute Cheesy I may get started on making a few girly ones for next winter for my cherebs Cheesy ... as soon as I've tried everything else on here hahahah X
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Love My Daughters & I Love Crafting
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011 10:20:10 AM »

He looks so cute in it.  My girl barely stands still either.  I am also making a coat for her for the upcoming winter, prob sooner that expected with the rain we having lately
Button holes are the bane of my existence I do about 4 practice ones that come out perfect then muck it up when I do it on the actual garment.  As for set in sleeves, when my mum taught me to sew, we used to leave the side seams and sleeve seam open, and attach the sleeve at the shoulder, then match up the underarm, and sew the whole thing together from wrist to waist.  Hope that is of some help for you (or even made sense!)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011 11:07:40 AM »

That is a great coat.  I love the style and the fabric you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
baileemartini
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011 07:48:22 PM »

He looks so cute in it.  My girl barely stands still either.  I am also making a coat for her for the upcoming winter, prob sooner that expected with the rain we having lately
Button holes are the bane of my existence I do about 4 practice ones that come out perfect then muck it up when I do it on the actual garment.  As for set in sleeves, when my mum taught me to sew, we used to leave the side seams and sleeve seam open, and attach the sleeve at the shoulder, then match up the underarm, and sew the whole thing together from wrist to waist.  Hope that is of some help for you (or even made sense!)  Smiley

i like sewing sleeves like that, but i think with this type of sleeve, you have to sew it set in or else it will bunch under the arms. i think next time I will just pin even more.

and my machine is so weird, it says it will only do buttonholes up to 16mm long, which is 2/3 of an inch! so i have to pull the fabric through a little faster to alter the length, or just do them manually. my machine has to be lying, but I havent bothered to test my theory yet. i have to manually type in a length, i will have to see what it says when i tell it a different length.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Pastels Are Perfect For Spring
Jennifer Lawrence Debuts New Haircut and a Sexy LBD
How to Dress Casually
Essential Summer Beauty Products
Summer And Spring Style Trends 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...