A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen cabinets (IMG HEAVY)  (Read 3840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2011 07:49:39 PM »

I finally finished repainting my kitchen cabinets the other day. The finish was in terrible shape, but these have to be the most poorly constructed cabinets ever, so they really weren't worth stripping and refinishing. My standard operating procedure, in such instances, is to break out the craft paint and cover the cabinet doors with busy enough designs to distract casual visitors from the fact that the cabinets righteously suck. Hopefully the ruse will work:

I chose a garden theme for my project. All of the designs are based on greenspaces I know and love. These first two are based on Dave Dardis' Secret Garden in Makanda, Ill. In real life, the mermaid is more rust-colored, but there's a place on Route 66 here in Oklahoma that sells a silver variation, so I kind of morphed the two together. I always thought the guy on the bottom was a Green Man, but upon closer examination, I think he's actually a Dionysus figure; the ivy growing on the wall around him just gives him a Green Man aura.

An idealized image of our bee yard.

Loosely based on my mother-in-law's back flowerbed.

Two of our favorite haunts in St. Louis. (We used to live in Belleville, Ill., about 20 minutes from the city.) The top one is part of the wall around the parking lot at the City Museum; the bottom is the entrance to the Venice Cafe, which has the coolest patio on the planet.

These two doors are a tribute to the late Larry Baggett, whose Trail of Tears monument still stands along Route 66 near Jerome, Mo. The top image is not an extremely pale man. It's a painting of Larry's self-portrait sculpture, which is made of plaster or something and sits next to the entrance to his property. The wishing well is next to his long, winding driveway, which goes up the side of a bluff.

This is a painting of the liriope-and-ivy-covered earthen sculpture I am planning to construct in my garden this spring. Yes, I am the only person I know who would use one insane project to plan another.

View of my backyard, decluttered just a bit for artistic reasons. The wisteria really had that many blooms this spring, though. It was crazy.

This started out to be a picture of light filtering through the trees in the Shawnee National Forest, but it didn't look right when I finished, so I just stuck a lawn gnome in there. Lawn gnomes are awesome.

This weird little door, which is above my stove, was too small for anything very elaborate, so I just mimicked my china pattern on there.

Having gotten good results with the chalkboard paint I put on the back of my car, I swiped an idea from a magazine article I'd read years ago and put some chalkboard paint on a couple of the cabinets next to the stove so I could write grocery lists, to-do lists, menus, etc. as things came to mind.

The bottom cabinets on that side got chalkboard paint, too, because I know my young friends-and-relations will want to add their own artwork, and I don't really want them standing on the counters to do it.  Undecided

And a couple of overall views. I brushed a coat of glossy Mod Podge over each door when I finished to protect the paint from spills and spatters.

The lantern hanging from the light fixture is going to disappear as soon as I get a hand free to install a new light, but the hardware store ran out of the fixture I wanted, and I wasn't really in the mood to do any wiring this week, so that project will have to wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 07:56:32 PM »

This is awesome!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dyani
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 08:20:34 PM »

You are SO talented! They look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 01:48:28 AM »

Those are bloody brilliant. You did an awesome job with those cupboards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
wax51
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 04:38:07 AM »

These really rock!
I adore them all...esp the wishing well....super props to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/wax51

I am totally after a Ying/Yang made of  Fire vs Ice
Wanna draw/paint/sketch me one?
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 09:58:35 AM »

those are amazing.  you won't get bored while cooking, with so many views!

at first i wondered why there was a file cabinet in a garden, but now you mentioned it, it looks even more like a beekeeping hive (do you still call them that when they are manmade?) than a filing cabinet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
mexi
One world...make it great! Deck-OR-ATE!

I Heart the world.(Smelling plastic beads melting)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011 06:54:42 PM »

you go ....those are cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011 10:16:59 PM »

nataluna: Yes, a manmade hive is still a beehive. The type in the picture is a Langstroth hive, which is the kind most of the beekeepers around here use. When you open it up, the inside also looks sort of like a cabinet for hanging files, except the "files" are extremely sticky, and the secretaries are much more assertive about keeping people out of them. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
xperimentl
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011 08:57:47 AM »

I was a little late finding this post, but I still wanted to comment and tell you how cool I think it is.  Your artwork is wonderful.  I love that each panel tells a story of something meaningful to you.  That green is awesome, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011 09:31:02 AM »

Those are really amazing.  I love how you went with a theme to keep it looking cohesive, but each one is its only little artwork.  Lovely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Color Prints with Potatoes
Fish-Themed Party Activity with Martha Stewart
How to Make a Denim Holster
How to Make Family Photo Mouse Pads
How to Make Felt Pumpkin People
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...