A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wonky, cozy, tee shirt wonky blanket (so many pics)  (Read 1153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2011 09:36:26 AM »

Did I mention it's wonky? I started this blanket a long while back. Collected the tee shirts from my closet, the hubs' closet, and my favorite thrift store. Ironed on the interfacing, cut out the rectangles, figured out the layout, and then sewed up four columns of tee shirts. It was then that I realized that my lack of experience, patience, and accurate measuring and cutting had come back to bite me on my craftin' ass. The tee shirts did not even come close to lining up right, and the top of the blanket did this not-so-awesome tapering thing by the time it got down to the bottom.

Hmph. So I stuffed it behind my couch and there it sat, and haunted me, for a couple months. Then we got a new couch (hooray! as the old couch was the most hideous thing in the entire universe) which meant that I had to figure out a new place for all of the crap I'd stashed back there, including the Wonk. One day it came to me: who cares what it looks like--just start sewing that em effer! See what happens! So I did! And here's what happened--
The Wonk in its entirety:

Individual sections:

Glad to finally have a use for my "Barbie is a Slut" tee shirt, purchased a gazillion years ago during a semester in London. Now that I'm in my mid-30s and a teacher, probably not the most appropriate thing to be sporting around town.

And for the back, I used a Tommy Hillfiger sheet ($4 for the set, suhweeeeet!):

Long live The Wonk!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011 09:43:54 AM by cankle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011 09:50:11 AM »

I love "The Wonk"  Cheesy  Totally want to find a new life for my favorite tees that are no longer appropriate for this 30-something to wear!
You have a FANTASTIC collection of shirts!!! Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011 09:56:34 AM »

Love it!!  Anything that has a Kiss panel a few squares away from a Chips panel is alright by me!  (Plus, I do really enjoy the Barbie is a slut panel.)  My local area stitch shop just had a deal on Groupon yesterday and I snatched it right up with the intention of learning to sew so I could make something very like one of these bad asses. 

Long Live The Wonk!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MarleesMom
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011 10:25:17 AM »

I think it's great! Seriously, I am envious. I think I may have to try this  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embercostumer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011 03:35:38 PM »

I love T-shirt quilts! I make mine on themes--I have one of my husband's high school shirts, and I'm working on one out of all the college t-shirts we have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
amalgam
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011 04:06:51 PM »

I'm enjoying "The Wonk". My favorite panel is the Japanese Superman. Man, I really need to gather up all my old T-shirts. I might have enough to make a lap quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
the1inpinkshoes
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011 10:32:18 AM »

That is completely fabulous! Makes me want to work on my own "wonk" Smiley (All the pieces are cut and have been away for years!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatheres76
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011 08:14:16 PM »

I love it, and want to make one of my own! And honestly, I think the wonkiness adds to the charm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 3/9
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/4
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/4
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...