A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wanna buy a serger....  (Read 946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 22, 2011 12:14:58 PM »

I'm interested in buying my first serger but I'm not sure what to get. I'm a very casual sewer and the things I do sew are usually light weight materials. I was trying to decide between 2 different sergers:

Yamata 3/4-thread Domestic Overlock/ Serger
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Yamata-3-4-thread-Domestic-Overlock-Serger/3108602/product.html

Singer 4/3 Thread Overlock Serger Machine
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=2276639

They're both under the $200 price point and I do like that because I'm on a budget. I can't decide between the 2 because of mixed reviews on the sites, anyone ever try these brands? Or should I be looking at a totally different type of machine?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
purefairydust
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011 09:01:28 AM »

The equipment you use is such a personal thing. You need to actual try out the machine and learn to properly thread it in the correct order. You have to see if the instructions it comes with are easy to understand because you will need them in the future to rethread or change your set up. You need to know exactly how to change from a flat stitch to a rolled hem because a rolled hem is beautiful with decorative thread on hard to hem materials. Some of these overlocks have minor adjustments to do this and some you will have to change a plate. You will need to know how to use and adjust the differential feed and how to properly clean and take care of your serger. Also what is important is whether you can attach a small bag collect the material cut from the edge of your project being sewn, this will be very handy. Mine does not so I have a home made bag that I place with one edge under the serger. Of course you can always go to a shop that does repair and sell sergers to test drive them. This way you can ask questions on which machines they do the most repairs on.  Sergers are a wonderful tool to have but it does not replace your sewing machine. Today they  have more features and are easier to use. When you do get one, make sure you have a notebook or folder that you can write the factory settings in as you unpack it and to put in scraps of sewn material in with the different setting you did to get that look. This will become an important information file for you to be able to repeat this successfully on another project. Be sure to keep a copy of the instruction manual with this and the original instructions filed with your other important papers and instructions for your household appliances, incase you need it in the future if your notebook is lost or damaged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011 05:03:37 PM »

Thanks! I'm gonna see where the closest sewing machine shop is near me and test a few out. It's a good thing you mentioned writing dowm the factory settings too, I'm totally the type of person that starts messing with stuff as soon as I open a box and then become very sad when I can't remember the original settings...lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011 08:35:25 AM »

I'm interested in buying my first serger but I'm not sure what to get. I'm a very casual sewer and the things I do sew are usually light weight materials. I was trying to decide between 2 different sergers:

I've been sewing for almost 50 years.  Over those years, I've owned three sergers, and five or six sewing machines starting with a treadle, mechanical, electronic, computerized, et.al.  I've sewn everything from underwear to an overcoat and everything in between.  I love to sew.

How do I say this?.......You get what you pay for.  Not that you need to spend a lot for a decent serger.  Allbrands.com sometimes has Brother 1034D for $149,

But if you're a casual sewer, why do you need a serger?  Sergers are not necessary.  Believe me they are nice to have, but a good zig-zag, a stretch stitch or a pair of pinking shears will accomplish the same thing on most garments, especially for a casual sewer. 

If you spend $200 for either the Yamata or the Walmart machine, you are buying a piece of metal that will probably require more time and attention to adjusting the tensions and figuring how to thread than is worth it.  These are not even half-way decent machines.  Save your money and buy something worth buying.  Learning to thread a serger properly takes a lot of patience; and if you don't get it right, the serger doesn't serge.  The cheaper the machine, the more problematic the threading.  The reviews are there to help you avoid wasting money. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stacy Keibler Dishes On Her Red-Carpet Style
Cozy Up in These Cute Kitschy Sweaters Right Now
Get Stars Looks For Less From Celeb Boutique
Capes No Longer For Superheroes
Prabal Gurung For Target
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...