A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TARDIS Matchbox - mildly pic heavy  (Read 11947 times)
Tags for this thread: tardis , matchbox , dr_who , travel , bottle_cap , bottle_cap_jewelry , doctor_who , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2011 09:16:51 AM »

I recently was "strong armed" by the awesome Pinkleo into participating in the Matchbox Swap Round 4.  My partner spidermom is a big Doctor Who fan, and had lots of TARDIS themed items on her Wist.  Since they are both rectangular, I thought the TARDIS would be a great choice for the matchbox I was going to build her.   I used an online template from Swap Bot for the box itself.  (Though the PDF wouldn't really open for me.  I had to take a screen capture of it, and size it up.)

After coming up with the right sized box, I found blueprint images of the TARDIS online, and cut down the front and tweaked proportions till it fit the size of the box front.  Then just cut and pasted together in Photoshop.  I printed it, along with the manual cover on the only sheet of blue card stock I had.  Thank goodness it worked the first time!  The printed lines were all gone over with superfine Sharpie, and the upper windows were cut out and backed with vellum. The doorknob is a little metallic scrapbooking embellishment.

Matchbox, with all it's goodies packed inside:

When the tray is empty, you always have the Doctor to keep you company.

All the goodies unpacked, including a resin bottle cap pendant, AB beads, a bone bead, tiny TARDIS Instruction Manual, two keys to the TARDIS, a paper tag, pin back, clip, blue buttons and beads, blue acrylic drops, a copper and brass ring, stamp from China, evil eye bead for protection, star charms, hematite beads, hook clasp, an angel wing charm, 60's-esque teapot, leather "Travel" tag, s-hook clasp, and a cookie fortune.

Detail of the necklace.  I made a ton of these charms in the Steampunk Charm Swap, and have been meaning to make necklaces out of them ever since.  For those of you who are curious, I believe it's a Leinenkugel's Fireside Nutbrown Ale cap.

You can't be flying about time and space without any idea how to operate the crazy box, so I made a tiny TARDIS Instruction Manual

Inside of the Manual

Possibly my favorite find from my stash, the fortune:

I should probably note that when I came up with this idea, I had never seen an episode of Doctor Who before.  I chose most of my bits & bobs just by going for items that related to traveling, and the same shade of blue as the TARDIS.  Since I finished the box and mailed it a week ago, I started to get curious though.  In the last week I ended up finishing Series 1, and just started Series 2 this morning.  While David Tennant is adorable, and I'm sure will grow on me soon, I already really miss Chris Eccleston who I was nursing a bit of a crush on.

*Edit: I have since learned to love and adore David Tennant who will always be "My Doctor".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 02:52:18 PM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
spidermom
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 09:52:15 AM »

AH!!! love it so much!!!!! <3
i'm also really loving that you've been lured into the show, its so much fun!
thanks again jennie, i just adore this tiny treasure Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ramblings-- http://friendlyneighborhoodspidermom.blogspot.com/
more stuff--http://www.pinterest.com/spidermom78/
RoaneFaery
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 10:09:40 AM »

Very nice! I love the necklace and tiny instruction manual.

In the last week I ended up finishing Series 1, and just started Series 2 this morning.  While David Tennant is adorable, and I'm sure will grow on me soon, I already really miss Chris Eccleston who I was nursing a bit of a crush on.

A lot of us felt that way. And then fell way more in love with David Tennant. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
http://www.wists.com/RoaneFaery
Pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/roanefaery/
My Swaps:
Last completed swap: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011 10:29:08 AM »

This is the most amazing thing! Its absolutely perfect! Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011 01:09:37 PM »

Another Dr. Who fan is born! I was a bit dumbfounded that you'd never seen ANY of the series, but then Dr. Who has never really penetrated into American culture the way it did in Canada and the other countries that are more closely tied to Britain. People often identify themselves by which Doctor they grew up watching. (I was a Tom Baker kid.) 

You picked great stuff to put into the box, even without having seen the show yet! I love the idea of using the bottlecap as a necklace. I might take two of the ones you sent me with the Potholder Swap and make cufflinks out of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011 02:16:51 PM »

Another Dr. Who fan is born! I was a bit dumbfounded that you'd never seen ANY of the series, but then Dr. Who has never really penetrated into American culture the way it did in Canada and the other countries that are more closely tied to Britain. People often identify themselves by which Doctor they grew up watching. (I was a Tom Baker kid.) 

You picked great stuff to put into the box, even without having seen the show yet! I love the idea of using the bottlecap as a necklace. I might take two of the ones you sent me with the Potholder Swap and make cufflinks out of them!

Yeah, Dr. Who was never really big in the US.  I remember there occasionally being episodes from the 70's on PBS when I was a child, but that would have been around 86' or 87', and having grown up on American television BBC productions always looked a bit odd to us.  The sound quality always sounded like the actors were inside a tin can.  Not very appealing to a 7 year old girl.  And after all, there was Star Trek the Next Generation, with Jonathan Frakes and his killer beard.  (Plus how could I not be in love with Patrick Stewart?) 

Since the series has been back on, I've only lived in 1 place that I actually got BBC America.  For the year that we lived in New Hampshire it was part of basic cable, but not Illinois or Kentucky.  (I'm fairly sure BBC will never show up in KY, actually, though I wish it would.) 

And I never even thought of turning the charms into cufflinks.  That would be EPIC! Make sure to send me pictures if you do!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011 07:08:18 PM »

Ahh! I love Eccleston too! This box is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011 09:12:33 PM »

Ahh! I love Eccleston too! This box is lovely.

Ok, I've watched 9 David Tennant episodes, and yeah, he's pretty cute.  But I still really miss Chris Eccleston!  (I'm not normally so sloth-like, but I go back to work on Monday, so I'm being pretty lazy this weekend..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011 01:02:00 PM »

Oh my jennie, that Tardis Matchbox and its treats are fantastic!  I imagine Dr. Who wisters have been going nutty.  (Note to self: Watch more Dr. Who!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 01:02:41 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011 04:33:02 PM »

Oh my goodness!! I am totally wisting this. I wish I would have signed up for the swap and became your partner!
 And trust me you will get a crush on David Tenant also and then cry and say Matt Smith could never be the Doctor and yet he grows on you also. I am always excited to see a new fan. I was a Tom Baker kid thanks to my best friend (I had no television growing up) who taped the episodes and we would watch them on Saturdays. I converted my second oldest daughter, and my oldest friend who are now converting others Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Free Jewellery Making Book
How to Make Jewellery
Making your own Jewellery, Make Bead Earrings
Jewelry Making
Jewellery Making Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...