A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zombie Quilt  (Read 21004 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , zombie , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graverobbergirl
« on: January 22, 2011 07:41:44 AM »

A little late in posting. I made this for my friends' anniversary -They were married on Halloween.

This is NOT my original imagery... I found it whilst google image searching for zombies. And it was too awesome to resist. Here's what inspired:http://www.flickr.com/photos/21924812@N06/3326842926

The red fabric paint was a little more on the pink side. I think I'll try to find the brand I had before for the next time I require blood spatter.

Tiny blood splatter appliques

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
cookimistress

I live in my head too much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 07:51:50 AM »

KICK ASSSSSS!!!!!!

I would LOVE to have one to match the original paintings I did a few months back:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=530091935676&set=a.505188691976.2014778.132501474#!/photo.php?fbid=530091960626&set=a.505188691976.2014778.132501474&pid=31257165&id=132501474

ps - Gotta love Halloween weddings - I sure loved mine!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012 03:44:55 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 08:06:49 AM »

my gosh, you quiters make my effort gland ache, it SO HUUUUGE!!!

this rocks!

x G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

llamalady
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011 08:08:42 AM »

Hit the "This Rocks" button, because zombies and quilts are awesome! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissusG
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011 08:22:57 AM »

That's so amazing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011 10:16:09 AM »

I absolutely love it! Its perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SnowLeopard
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011 02:33:22 PM »

That is so amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graverobbergirl
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011 12:05:36 PM »

KICK ASSSSSS!!!!!!

I would LOVE to have one to match the original paintings I did a few months back:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=530091935676&set=a.505188691976.2014778.132501474#!/photo.php?fbid=530091960626&set=a.505188691976.2014778.132501474&pid=31257165&id=132501474

ps - Gotta love Halloween weddings - I sure loved mine!  Grin

Those paintings are gorgeous! I (obvious from the obsession the image for this quilt) love the monochromatic. Red pops so much in a black & white, yet doesn't overwhelm...

Ooh...er...got off topic, possibly? So more quilt-related info:

I think it took me longer to turn and press the appliques than to assemble the rest of the quilt. (the red around her mouth is all one crazy-twisted piece!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012 03:45:27 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Ilia
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011 03:59:31 PM »

This quilt is so AWESOME!!! How long did this take you to make ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graverobbergirl
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011 04:14:05 PM »

This quilt is so AWESOME!!! How long did this take you to make ?

Er... Altogether, not really sure. I think from when I bought the fabric until I mailed it out was less than a month. One night was sketching it out (on brown paper cut to size of top), a night for cutting, several for sewing/turning/pressing pieces, a day for sewing the pieces to the top (using monofilament/clear thread and a zigzag stitch)... The little pieces that could not be turned and pressed without severe finger burns were appliqued by hand during my bus ride to/from work. I painted the backing on a weekend day (probably an hour or so, and then many to dry). Borders, sandwiching the quilt, and marking out the quilting design/pattern took basically all of American Werewolf in London (I watch movies when I sew/craft). Quilting wasn't so bad... I think it took a weekend.

I tend to keep awful track of time with projects, which can be problematic if I intend to ever make a living off from sewing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy

frenchbrandles
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011 07:18:15 PM »

Zombies terrify me but this quilt is amazing! Rock on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grilly
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011 11:17:05 AM »

Completely B.A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lidehtium
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011 12:34:53 PM »

This is just.. oh my god.. Im in awe. If I only had a wist to put this on..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
YouTube

Looking for a custom stamp, would love to swap!
cupcakesandcottons
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011 03:15:38 PM »

i rocked this, it is sooooooooooo awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anubisheart

Lost in Zombieland

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011 12:18:31 PM »

wow! this is totally absolutely incredible!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can walk you can dance; If you can talk you can sing
Art exists in many forms, the trick is to see all of them.

Check out my etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/AnubisCreations
Check out my Blog!
http://anubiscreations.blogspot.com/
WanderingStar
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011 07:41:53 PM »

I bow down to your awesomeness!  LOL  This is amazing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onehtl1ama

Yay I'm a llama again....wait. -Kuzco

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011 04:15:00 PM »

Hit "this rocks" this is absolutely fantastic! It makes me really wish that I knew how to quilt. I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but how "advanced" do you think this project is. For example, should I try making a basic quilt before I even attempt to follow in these most bloody footsteps? Because I would love to have something like this on my bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personalblog:
http://onehtl1ama.livejournal.com

personal swap friendly <3

WISTful thinking
graverobbergirl
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011 04:56:33 PM »

Hit "this rocks" this is absolutely fantastic! It makes me really wish that I knew how to quilt. I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but how "advanced" do you think this project is. For example, should I try making a basic quilt before I even attempt to follow in these most bloody footsteps? Because I would love to have something like this on my bed.

It's applique, which is a lot different than piecing blocks, which most quilts are... so not sure if making an 'intro to quilting' project would help, unless it specifically dealt with applique how to. That being said, I had never done this applique method before, either. I have a tendency to just jump into projects/crafts and 'skill level' be damned!

This piece is actually a lap-size. I have made a full queen size (double-chain quilt block) quilt, and a couple other lap-size, and wall-hangings before. I'm not sure what my 'skill level' would be. I haven't necessarily done a lot of quilting myself, but I intimately know how the process works, being exposed to it my entire life (my mother, who taught me to sew, is a quilter). Anything you aren't sure of how to do can be found in any number of helpful tutorials on the internet nowadays, anyway!

Basic sewing skills are probably necessary. Experience with turning fabrics (a skill actually much more developed by making clothes, dolls, and other crafts than straight quilting, in my opinion) is probably helpful, as it can be most frustrating if you use this applique method. Knowing how a quilt is put together, top, borders, batting, backing, binding, etc. is probably useful.

Personally, I always find that if I am more into a project, I will persist through any difficulties that might deter me from a less captivating craft.

Anyway, if you ever have any specific questions, just PM me. Good luck!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy

beaotch
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011 06:00:56 PM »

Oh, man!  This totally rocks!  Awesome job and thank you for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sassy, sassy, sassy!

www.BeaOtch.com
nevinjp
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011 10:16:00 PM »

I want to stop looking at it but i can't turn away. Might it be that some of my best friends are zombies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MizzKodak
THE BIGGER THE BETTER

ALWAYS

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011 11:40:29 AM »

I never wanted to learn to make quilts but you have chaned my mind, this is amazingly awesome and so well done. This totally rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking For Mystery Science Theater 3000 Stuff Let's Swap!

Like Severus I Do It All For Love

Check Out My Etsy Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MizzKodaksTrunk?ref=pr_shop_more
kits1018
To Live, Love, and Laugh = To Craft!

After every storm.. the sun shines through!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011 06:22:10 AM »

hahaha omg i love this!! you're amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ex_Gratia

I sew therefore I am

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011 05:00:44 PM »

sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy please! I'd love to have feedback from other crafters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlippantFlapper?ref=ss_profile
SciFunk
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011 10:34:17 PM »

I want it. I want it so bad. That is absolutely.. wow. Man, well done. I am so jealous of your friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011 07:40:59 AM »

Ohhh my gosh. So jealous.

I just posted this quilt in my Handcrafted Zombie Invasion Roundup! http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com/2011/03/handcrafted-apocalyptic-roundup-2.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alexania
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011 12:22:32 AM »

I've always wanted to do some form of quilt but I haven't really seen one that I like (except some highly complicated looking Tinkerbell one), however this... is awesome.

I really want to do it now, but I have no idea how to even start.

Hmmm internet tutorials!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lanikins
you can't take life too seriously...you'll never make it out alive

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011 10:59:55 PM »

yeah...you're amazing!!!  i would prolly kill for this...just sayin'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snazzlecraft

I jumped on the mustache train! CHOO CHOO!!

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011 08:29:34 AM »

This is both disturbing and AWESOME at the same time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SnB
Crafting my way to oblivion!

Crafting my way to oblivion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011 11:50:57 PM »

Grin This is AWESOME!!! Zombie quilt! I love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://thecraftyginger.com

What happens when a bunch of women on a remote military tour get together in the yarn capital of the world?

Participating in:

2011: The year of monthly craft exchanges!
 - May: Dishalicious Dishcloth/Washcloth Swap Rd 11
Look What Emily Made
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011 12:05:32 PM »

This is the coolest zombie craft I have seen! I made zombie curtains for my craft room... but this takes the undead-cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tovaopatrny
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011 03:29:37 PM »

this is definitely a work of art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shannon1976
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011 04:22:08 PM »

This is awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smoothbanana
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011 01:11:51 AM »

This is awesome, and looks exactly like the inspiration! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MarsCrafter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011 01:32:15 AM »

Awesome quilt! I love this quilt, combines my love of zombies and quilts. :-)  I have never done a full applique quilt like this one, but it's definitely inspiring. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Another Jennifer
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011 07:49:51 AM »

Creepy/cool!  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen

I blogged whatever project you are looking at right here:  jenniferfalkowski.com/
brandymccoy
Brandy

hello I am a crochet , knitting,and sewing fanatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011 12:19:36 PM »

AMAZING!!! Love it Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melloduck
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011 06:10:22 AM »

I'm not all that into the zombie thing but this is AMAZING. I have some friends that would be jealous  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

E pluribus funk.
alexania
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011 12:07:03 PM »

Okay so I really want to make this quilt for a friend of mine but I've never quilted before and my applique experience is sketchy. Frankly I'd describe my sewing skill as "Enthusiastic Beginner". But on the other hand, I tend to stay interested longer if it's a challenge. Tongue

So my first question is, for about a Queen size quilt (yes I'm crazy shhh) how much fabric/batting would I need?

Secondly, I've read some articles/tutorials etc and do you think it would be possible to do this quilt without turning? So just fusing the pieces on and zigzagging the edges? Did you do the red pieces first and then the black pieces on top of them?

Also, once you've managed to applique the patches onto the front and then you sandwich your backing and your batting and your front, how do you decide where to stitch for the "quilting"?

And what did you use for the edges?

Oh oh and what paint did you use for the back? Will normal acrylic do, do you think?

And then lastly, I have a very very old machine that I inherited from my gran, and it has a lot of... squiggly feet. Is this a quilting foot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011 02:48:53 PM »

Okay so I really want to make this quilt for a friend of mine but I've never quilted before and my applique experience is sketchy. Frankly I'd describe my sewing skill as "Enthusiastic Beginner". But on the other hand, I tend to stay interested longer if it's a challenge. Tongue

So my first question is, for about a Queen size quilt (yes I'm crazy shhh) how much fabric/batting would I need?

Secondly, I've read some articles/tutorials etc and do you think it would be possible to do this quilt without turning? So just fusing the pieces on and zigzagging the edges? Did you do the red pieces first and then the black pieces on top of them?

Also, once you've managed to applique the patches onto the front and then you sandwich your backing and your batting and your front, how do you decide where to stitch for the "quilting"?

And what did you use for the edges?

Oh oh and what paint did you use for the back? Will normal acrylic do, do you think?

And then lastly, I have a very very old machine that I inherited from my gran, and it has a lot of... squiggly feet. Is this a quilting foot?
http://i.ebayimg.com/19/!B65E!n!B2k~$(KGrHqEOKjUEyWuqB2uoBMyl!(VkEw~~-1_35.JPG

You can get batting by the yard or in prepackaged cuts (Queen Size being one variety available). A 'standard' Queen Size quilt/comforter is 90"x90". This apparently varies by country, however. http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingskills/a/blanket_sizes.htm  Also, consider the proportions of your pattern. Or in this case, the image. It is rectangular, longer in length than width. However, A queen size bed and blankets made for them tend to be closer to a Square. You can add borders, etc. to compensate.  Figuring out yardage for Fabric is a major part of planning your quilt. Sorry, I'm not doing that work for you  Wink Lap size was easy, I just made sure I had enough of each fabric to cover the quilt top. Plus the borders, backing, binding. I had extra. And if you're buying in the quantity for a Queen size, you might want to draft up your pieces and calculate yardage more precisely so you don't have to buy so much.

Applique Technique is up to you, what you feel comfortable with. I'm crazy OCD, so I don't like the iron-on and satin stitch around the edge method. Anything looser than a satin-stitch will not hold the pieces down on a long-term/high usage basis and they will fray along the edges. Plus, it's awkward, time consuming, and for me, I'm not at the level to get a smooth line whilst satin-stitching (you have to pay careful attention to needle placement when turning, etc.) My pieces are not layered (they fit together like a puzzle). Although that may be easier. I didn't want some pieces sticking out (higher above quilt surface) more than others. And if you do iron-on, it may become too thick too sew through multiple layers. Which brings me to the other reason I opted not to iron-on applique. Vast amounts of the quilt is the applique. Good quality adhesive will be thick, and the quilt will be awkwardly stiff.

How I was taught, the standard guide for quilting is that you should not be able to randomly place your hand down on the quilt without covering quilting stitches. That is to say,  no more than five inch gaps between quilting lines. My lap-size was easy, since the pieces were all around or narrower than five-six inches, so simply 'stitching in the ditch' around the edges of the pieces was ample quilting. In the white space (And I think the black hair pieces), I did a contour sort of freehand thing, following the shapes of the pieces. There are those that don't 'quilt' their quilts at all, as well, and opt to place 'ties' or buttons periodically to hold the layers together.

I bind my quilts (probably because that's the way my mother does it, and I learned from her). That means, I sandwich all the layers, do the quilting (which can cause layers to shift), trim the edges all even and straight, sew strips to the edges like piecing a border (only doubled, so that there is a folded edge), press to the outside, turn the folded edge to the back and hand sew the binding there. I miter corners by hand, because continuous binding tends to round them. This isn't how I do it, precisely, but it might work: http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf. Also, some people will place their backing over the quilt top (with batting beneath top), right sides together and sew up the edges all except enough to turn the entirety of the quilt through, and then close the hole by hand. No binding necessary, but when you quilt, all the shifting fabric has nowhere to go. I don't like the idea of the puckers that could occur.

I prefer the specifically designated 'fabric' paints. Or 'So-Soft' I believe is the Tulip brand line. These are acrylic paints designed for fabrics, in that they are not only permanent, but aren't stiff like you get with regular acrylic craft paints applied to fabric.

I suppose there's such a thing as a 'quilting foot' but I've always just used the standard sewing machine presser foot when quilting.

Er... I think I covered your questions? Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011 11:42:02 AM by graverobbergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy

alexania
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011 12:23:12 AM »

Thank you so much, that cleared up a lot of confusion! (Sorry for the barrage of questions!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011 08:50:55 AM »

lol this is so wrong it's right!  Nice work  - I'll bet they loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012 11:53:46 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedRabbit
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012 07:40:54 AM »

This is the most awesome quilt i have ever seen! Love the high contrast colors! Love the subject matter! Love the overall graphic nature of the art! & love that it was a gift for special people in your life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gesikah
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012 04:10:24 PM »

That's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crystal Mess
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012 07:37:50 PM »

INCREDIBLE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
libertine49
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012 11:38:55 PM »

WOW This is amazing!!

I wish I had skills like this, you are truly talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyJasper
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012 02:07:39 PM »

I absolutely dig this quilt. My roommate is obsessed with zombies, she would fall in love with this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweet Zombie Jesus
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Jambalaya
How to Cook Salt Beef
How to Bake Homemade Bagels
How to Do Homemade Delicious Hamburger
How to Make the Perfect Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...