A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about bleaching a patterned couch cover to plain  (Read 1621 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Glojo
« on: January 21, 2011 01:06:58 PM »

I have an Ikea couch cover that looks like this:

And I'm sort of dang sick of it. I just moved and I'm trying to go for a vintage industrial feel. But new covers are always a bazillion dollars and not worth it really, so I would rather reuse the one I have

So my question is, what will happen if I try and bleach the pattern out of this cover? Will it work? How should I do it (concentrations, etc)?

I don't need it to be perfect looking (industrial to me is an excuse to have shoddy furniture xD), and I don't need it to be white (I'd rather it not be white) because I think bleached fabric turns off-white?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gatheredthreads
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011 01:12:50 PM »

I have no idea about bleaching, sorry.

Another option would be dyeing it a dark grey so you barely see the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.  ~ Dali
wist
mexi
One world...make it great! Deck-OR-ATE!

I Heart the world.(Smelling plastic beads melting)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011 01:33:19 PM »

You can but that simple spray for upholstery... you just spray it over the fabric and your done... http://www.simplyspray.com/upholstery.html

They have several colors. You could even make a design. I also saw where someone painted the sofa with a semi-gloss house paint... She said in the blog that it feels like vinyl ....

found this on a blog
I saw the episode of Decorating Cents. They used a textile medium in the acrylic paint (2 parts paint to 1 part textile medium). They also used a wide paint brush to apply the paint which was also thinned down with water to get a more even flow and coverage. They let it dry and then they did a second coat. Thinning the paint with water also keeps it from becoming stiff. If you feel that the new color (whether dye or paint) looks splotchy you can rubber stamp or stencil in coordinating colors or in the same color family all over in a random pattern. Good designs for this would be leaves, Greek Key, spirals, FLeur de Lis, large flower heads
Penny 2

http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/treasure/msg1216262429209.html

hope it gets your creative juices going! Cheerz!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011 02:05:17 PM »

If it were me, I would dye it in another color to compliment the grey, and the color would probably darken the grey. Say if you went red, then the grey might become a purply color. Is there a spot in one of the seams (wrong side) that you could snip off to practice on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Glojo
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011 03:38:04 PM »

Painting it sounds...crazy and brilliant. And probably the only way to cover up the print, since I want it gone but still want a lightish coloured couch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
margiej
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011 09:10:50 AM »

I would hesitate to paint the couch!  An inexpensive throw made out of a couple of sheets from the thrift store would be a different not so drastic solution.  You can cut and tuck it in on the back and make pillow-slip type covers for the cushions.  You could dye them before you make the slip cover.  I have made several for my old couch thru the years, pm me if you have questions. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/margiej
Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Glojo
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011 10:42:27 AM »

I did initially hesitate because it was sort of expensive. It is however pretty discolored beyond my ability to fix, and the print really does make me want to go cross-eyed. If not for the discoloration I would sell it or Freecycle it.

Making a slipcover would just bring me back to my initial plan, which I have since realized is too expensive and more time than I want to put in (I have a LOT of home decor projects on my list, I've just moved).

I am contemplating buying the cheapest cover Ikea has and coffee dying it (I figure I could spend 50 dollars on fabric anyways, mine as well let them make it for me.)

Girl has 2 sewing machines and still doesn't want to make a cover herself....figures, haha.

If I do decide to make something though, I will definitely let you know if I have any questions, thank you for the offer : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Michael Widlanski on His Book Battle for Our Minds
Matt Myklusch on the Message Behind the Jack Blank Adventures Series
Walter Stahr on His Book Seward
Philippa Gregory Discusses Her Audiobook Changeling
Two Foot Fred Official Song and Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...