A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My version of $400 earrings--Instructions Included  (Read 948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angiepinkal
I Live to Create...I Create to Live

Me & My Beautiful Daughter, Sofia

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2011 11:57:26 AM »

About a year ago I seen a pair of earrings I loved in one of those glossy celebrity gossip magazines (my guilty pleasure).  The price of the earrings were $400.  Granted they were made with gold but I'm not a fan of gold anyway, so I decided to make a few pairs up.  I've included some instructions.  Please excuse my long windedness.   Smiley  If you get lost or need help, please let me know.

I searched the catalog of my favorite jewelry supplier and found what I needed.  The hoops I used started with 10 or so of the loops at the bottom.  I cut the extra ones off, cut some of the excess hoop on the end I removed the loops, and finally filed where needed until smooth.  Next I attatched the chain with 3 mm split rings, being sure to close them up and make them as flush as I could, since I was using very fine chain.  I attached my beads with headpins to the chain, and then the frustrating part began. 

I took a split ring (don't recall the size, I think 5 mm), opened it up, then strung the ends of the chain on starting at the end without the earring post (where I cut off the extra loops).   Once the chain is on, close up the split ring, making it as flush as possible.  It may take you a few tries, it did for me on my first pair, to keep the chain from falling off as I worked on closing the split ring.  Lastly, I took another split ring, (I think 5 mm), opened it, put on the split ring with the chain and attached to the earnut.  I hooked it to one of the little "curly" pieces on the backside.  This works two-fold, if the earnut falls off, you won't loose it since it's attached to the chain.

The tricky part is how to store these earrings, since there's so much chain it can get tangled easily.  I have to have mine on earring cards on all times, even when I'm not doing bazaars.  I learned the hard and frustrating way not to just toss them in a baggie.   Smiley

Thanks for looking!
Angie C. Pinkal

Oh and the price (rounded up to nearest dollar) to make the earrings in order from top to bottom were
$21.00, $18.00, and $23.00.  I used all sterling silver, cultured freshwater pearls, and Swarovski Crystals.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

april again
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011 03:40:20 PM »

Cute! Thanks for the tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angiepinkal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011 06:50:50 PM »

Your welcome!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

socalheather
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011 03:41:39 PM »

Love these! They're just so pretty! More girly than I am most of the time, but still want to wear them... I'm getting rusty at making jewelry but if I see hoops like the ones you used, I might just make a pair. Ooh, in purple, green and blue would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not letting "no time" be an excuse anymore. ...now if I could just work on the whole "sanity" bit.

Cooking, Baking, Jewelry Making... Etch, Stencil, Sew...

<3 Peacock Feathers <3 Antique Keys <3
angiepinkal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011 10:14:04 AM »

Thank you, Heather!  Smiley  I appreciate your compliments.
They're a bit too girly for me too...Your color choices would be really pretty!  Smiley

Thanks again!
Angie C. Pinkal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freeli
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011 01:10:45 PM »

Oh they are beautiful! I think they are glamurous in a very elegant way, if that makes any sense. And thanks for sharing how you made them.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brightshadows
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011 12:22:11 PM »

Very cool, not a bad  price either for sterling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Onion Rings
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Grilled Minas Cheese with Pesto Sauce Recipe
The Future of the New York Food Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...